Guaifensin muscinex or gauifensin FA ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Apr 5, 2007.

1. What kind do you take? Does the guaifensin fa work as well? The muscinex is so expensive. Darn I used to have a script, then it went over the counter.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/08/2007]
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i asked this same question i have talk to women who are on both i bought fa myself 600mg pure guai i think there like 18.00 for 100 i cant afford to be paying for the others right now so im trying this first my ins wont pay for the other good luck charlene
  3. FM58

FM58 New Member

Guaifenesin FA is plain guai - without the extra ingredient that the Mucinex has. The Mucinex is much more expensive, because it is marketed as a medication to use as an expectorant.

Guaifenesin FA works well for many people - it comes in the 600mg dosage - the recommended starting dose. In the long run, it is much less expensive to use the Guaifenensin FA - you can either buy it from the Pro Health store here - or check around - there are many other places to purchase guai. You do not need a script any more.

Best of luck!

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Dr St Amand recommends that we use the long extended release brand, Mucinex or the 600mg one sold here, for at least the first 1200mg of our dose.

This can be topped up with a short acting brand such as the 400mg tablets sold here. Please do not use your supermarket's own brands; there are only a few that he has tested & recommends - go to www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com or refer to his book 'What your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia'.
  5. Ginner

Ginner New Member

for asking. I had the same question.
    Gin
  6. "Guaifenesin FA™ as Effective as Extended Release Guaifenesin 600
    Dr. St. Amand has informally tested Guaifenesin FA™ (Fast Acting) with his patients and found it to be just as effective as the Guaifenesin 600mg extended release product. He attributes these positive results to the quick dissolution of the fast acting guaifenesin tablets, which facilitates timely uptake and utilization by the body"

Good to know as the 600 is so expensive.
  7. charlenef

charlenef New Member

you can get free 24 pills on health products express 600mg if you place an order they dont even charge extra shipping
  8. I asked Dr. armands nurse and this is what she sent. It is confusing? Does he sell guaif as she says " not the same as what we use and are using" ?

The 400 mg. is a short acting guaifenesin and not the same as what we have used and are using, that is the long-acting. The 600 mg Pro Health product is closer to what you have been taking. It is still slightly different so keep your eyes open when you change over.

Claudia
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Dr St Amand constantly revises his protocol. He has recently found that patients do better on the Mucinex (or other recommended sustained release Guaifenesin) as they have the drug constantly in their blood stream.

Patients taking only fast acting were actually having phosphates build back up in their body tissues when there was no Guaifenesin in their bloodstream, e.g. at night.

He now recommends that at least the first 1200mg should be sustained release, one taken at night & one in the morning. Patients needing a higher individual dose can take fast acting Guaifenesin on top of this if they choose.

10. Jude

Jude New Member

I do understand the need to control our medical out-of-pocket costs as most of us are on a tight budget. When the fast acting guaifenesin first became available Dr StAmand had many patients using it. He sees patients in his office and maps and charts their progress. After several months of using only fast acting many patients began to redeposit. The dosage guidelines suggested by Dr StAmand are what has worked successfully for the largest number of patients. Some people can clear on only fast acting but most do not. Many people were having intolerable pain from the fast acting hitting the system all at once. So if you deviate from the recommended dosage and type of guaifenesin you do so at your own risk.

The guai used in Mucinex and ProHealth Long Acting and ProHealth Fast Acting is of high quality. The guai used in house brands from other pharmacutical companies most likely came from India to the US on ships. Who knows how long it sat around on docks waiting to be used. After purchase by the pharmacutical companies it is questionable if the guai was properly sealed before being made into pills. Exposure to air and moisture will reduce the potency of pure guai powder.

Guai Aid has worked for some people and I have also seen a lot of people that it has not worked for. Mucinex and ProHealth work effectively for the most people. After reaching the 1200mg dose of long acting then Dr StAmand advises using fast acting to supplement. So be aware that if you do deviate from the recommended guidelines you might be OK but the failure rate is high.

Jude
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2007]
  11. Thanks for the info. I am going to buy the Guaif. regular here. Heck I spend $30 a copay each dr. visit . Has anyone here actually seen Dr. St. Armand in person?

12. charlenef

charlenef New Member

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN TAKE 2 DIFFERENT BRANDSOF GUAI AT ONCE?
  13. Jude I was wondering you said "The guai used in Mucinex and ProHealth Long Acting and ProHealth Fast Acting is of high quality. The guai used in house brands from other pharmacutical companies most likely came from India to the US on ships. Who knows how long it sat around on docks waiting to be used. After purchase by the pharmacutical companies it is questionable if the guai was properly sealed before being made into pills. Exposure to air and moisture will reduce the potency of pure guai powder."

Where did you hear that? Just curious.
  14. charlenef

charlenef New Member

you can get 600mgla for 33.00 with a script online at fibropharmacy im getting my dr to write a scipt today they have other guai also without a scipt check it out charlene
  15. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi,
    i have been able to get the regular guai. with DM 600mg at walmart and target since they started offering their $4.00 drug program. (not sure if that is regional, tho, i am in PA). also at a groc. store called giant eagle. it is the same as the mucinex sold over the counter, and you can get a 30 day supply for $4.00, at least til they catch on and remove it--they won't sell the plain guai (mucinex) as it is over the counter (but so is the DM--who knows their rationale?)
    good luck--L
  16. Okay I am having a fibro fog here.

#1. I thought guaifensin was taking off being a prescription so how are some getting it as a script? What does the dr. have to write, I will ask mine for one?

#2. I thought we weren't supposed to have anything added to it, just plain old guaifensin

17. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

All can learn about Guai if you listen to Jude...We are lucky to have her on this board. Thank-you Jude.

I pay $150.00 plus $6.00 shipping every 6 months and order from Marina Del Rey- Guaifenesin Dye Free 600MG Tab. 310 823-5311 is the phone #.
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2007]
  18. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i asked my dr for a sript and had her fax it to them there in california 33.00 for a hundred pills beats alot of the other prices fibropharmacy is the same place del rey ins usually wont pay
  19. I see, you can still get it as a script if written as

Guaifenesin Dye Free 600MG Tabs.

Its just insurance companies don't pay anymore. Now I think I got it . Right? lol!

20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

She is a wonderful resource for anyone on the Guai Protocol. She is very helpful to keep people from failure on this treatment. I would suggest following her recommendations, especially early into the protocol.

I consider myself reversed and have found that the FA Guai works fine for a maintenance dose. I always got the Guai from here but I have now found that the FA Guai from Costco works fine for me now. We are all different and it might not work for someone else. Also, it has the hideous blue dye in it as do some other types. It is manufactured by a company in NY but it states it is an international company, so it is possible that the ingredients do come from outside the U.S. I cannot recommend this Guai for anyone else but it does work for me now. It is very cheap.

In the beginning, there is so much room for error that I believe one should try to eliminate anything which could cause failure. For so many of us, this treatment has been a God send. For me, it means I no longer need to depend on opiods for pain control on a regular basis.

Being reversed means that it is blatently obvious to me when the Guai is blocked. Those old deposit sites are still vulnerable to pain if the body begins to deposit debris there again. I believe they will be vulnerable for quite some time. If I get sick enough or injure myself, they will still ache, just as my neck did for several years following viral meningitis. Old wound sites take a while to heal.

In the beginning, it can be difficult to determine if the Guai is being blocked or whether one is having a Guai flare. It's best to use the highest quality of Guai one can afford.

Love, Mikie