Guaifensin ,,,what kind do you use?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Do you buy OTC mucinex or do you buy the kind here? Just curious. I used to get a script from my dr. but now its OTC , its soo expensive to use. just curious.
  2. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi fibro...there are several kinds that you can use, the most common being Mucinex OTC and Marina Del Ray Pharmacy has a compounded long-acting guai that requires a prescription from your doctor. I have used both, and the prescription guai is a bit cheaper. It is also good for people who react to the dyes in Mucinex.

If you go to the website fibromyalgiatreatment.com, there is a lot of good info on Dr. St. Amand's protocol there, and more info on the types of guai to use.

I hope this helps you! Ann
  3. We have a compound pharmacy here, but what does the dr. write on the script? Does the insurance cover it then?
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Fibrobutterfly,

I use the Guai that ProHealth sells. It's their fast-acting Guai, and I've had good luck with it. They also sell the long-acting guai. As other have stated, the fibromyalgiatreatment.com website will detail the many options where you can purchase Guai. Mucinex is usually the most expensive option, so I bet you can find a cheaper alternative.

Best of luck!

Erika
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2007]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is great but I now buy mine at Costco and it's dirt cheap.

Love, Mikie