Guaiffenisin, anybody???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sstar4353, Sep 7, 2003.

1. sstar4353

sstar4353 New Member

Has anyone tried Guaiffenisin? did it actually help?? What dosages work best???
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

We have many members on the Guaifenesin treatment, but looks like they are not here today!

I can suggest that you type; 'guaifenesin' in the 'Search Messages' link on the top of this page and all the threads concerning it will come up for you. Its a hot subject around here for sure.

Also I can tell you the book you will need to get in order to get a good start on this protocol if you don't already have it; 'What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia' by R. Paul St. Amand, M.D.

Also you can go to the 'Home' page here and type his name in, and it will bring us some of his articles on Guai.

Hope this helps....................

Shalom, Shirl
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I was not feeling well the earlier part of this week so I got behind on the posts. I started the guai program in mid-May and am currently on 900 mg. a day. I take 600 mg. in the morning and take half a pill at night. I tried 1200 mg, but it was too much for me. I flared really bad so I had to cut back. I've been on this lower dosage for quite awhile now and seem to be handling it okay. I know you can't increase the dosage too quickly.

I can't really say if it is helping me yet or not since I haven't been on it too long. I know that Mikie has been helped tremendously by this program and I think she said she's been on it for two years. So it's definitely a long-term program and you have to be patient. I am going to give it a year to see if anything positive helps. I am noticing more nights where I am sleeping better, but don't know if this is the result of the guai or not. Do you have Dr. Amand's book? There is a lot of good info in there and you have to really follow the program (avoiding all sals) otherwise it probably won't work. The sals block the guai from working. This is really a challenge for me since I love to work in the yard. I am learning new ways of doing things.

Good luck to you and don't give up. I figure we have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Ellen
  4. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I followed the protocol, but it didn't work for me. It actually made me a lot worse and I took it for a long time before quitting. I was going to school and it just wasn't good timing because my body was going crazy while I was on it.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to our board.

Yes, I've been on the Guai for more than 2 years and consider myself about 80 percent reversed. That's right on schedule considering that I've been sick about 13 years. I am up to 2400 mgs. a day.

I did have Guai flares in the beginning and every time I increased the dose. I was on Morphine for pain and now seldom have to take anything for pain. If I stop taking the Guai or something blocks it, my pain starts to return with a vengeance.

Unfortunately, I also have CFIDS, so I am not out of the woods yet. I am on antibiotic and antiviral treatments for stealth infections and they are helping with the CFIDS.

Do a search here and you can read all the posts on the Guai. Read Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA." Good luck.

Bekula, if you felt lousy the entire time you were on the Guai, I suspect you needed to lower the dose. Some are very sensitive to it, especially in the beginning. Learning to tweak the dose is critical to success in using the protocol.

Love, Mikie
  6. Beckula

Beckula New Member

It was very low at first and we tried tweaking it. After one year of trying to get it to work, it just wasn't for me.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry that it didn't work for you. There are some for whom it just doesn't work and no one knows why. I, personally, think there is more to it all than just the phosphate debris and when we have more info, perhaps that will explain why it doesn't work for everyone.

I understand your disappointment. I was hoping for great things from Provigil and had a paradoxical reaction to it. It made me sleepy and exacerbated my cognitive problems.

I wish we could get a handle on these illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  8. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I think it should work and it's not a fake drug though, because it did give me a reaction. I have heard many people who it does work with.
  9. nancyb16

nancyb16 New Member

I have been on quai for almost 8 months, I take 600mg at night and usually 600 in morning, however I started taking calcium citrate in am and it made me worse, because it draws phosphates from body and is excreted in the stool. so I did start taking 300 in the morning and things got better. I have started excercising and that seems to speed up the process and I still have days when I can hardly put one foot in front of the other, but I do it anyway. I also have had fm for almost 30 yrs. and know it will take almost 5 yrs for me to feel better according to Dr St Amand and I am convinced I was meant to be on this protocol because I really did try almost everything else and the is no worse than some of my other regimes and I have less pain when I touch the sides of my thighs and they used to be like boils to touch. I have been mapped but haven't found time to get it done again. I know it will be different .I will keep everyone interested updated. Never Give Up. Love Nancyb16
  10. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Dr. Dvin Stralynl, fm guru, I think someone her has a as support group leader.

When I went to her first seminar she said she was going to try again. Was soing reasearch and could not didicate to it then. She felt it had some merit.

I hear now she has changed her tune about gui from last I heard.

Maybe person who has her for leader could say more. She looks into everything very intelligent lady. No fru fru or trying to sell anything. Just reports her hard work being ill herself. Also very kind,sharp and compassionate lady.

Her book is many peoples bible for fm she covers everthing with out pushing a thing.

She knows we are all diff, dealing with other disorders and our own set of problems.

She is all for what works for your body.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For me to notice a big difference; this is not a fast treatment. I did, however, notice it almost immediately lifted my Fibro Fog. I still suffer from some cognitive problems associated with my CFIDS, but those are not the same thing as the FF.

The Guai is like everything else. It works for some but not others and it may work at different levels. I think we have basically nothing to lose by trying it and everything to gain.

As I said, I think there is more to it than Dr. St. A has theorized, but it has worked for me and I am glad I gave it a try. Good luck to all who try it.

Love, Mikie