Guess what?? Cats really DO land on their feet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Mar 11, 2008.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

It was very spring-like today and while I was up in my second story bedroom, I decided to open the window. Once it was opened I realized that I had not yet put the screens back in since taking them out to hang Christmas wreaths. You know when you can see something happening but you can't move fast enough to stop it? Well, my very round 4 yr old tuxedo cat went to jump in the window and got the surprise of her life when there wasn't a screen to stop her. I stuck my head out just in time to see her land on all fours. I ran down the steps and outside and she was still there, looking at me like I did something wrong. Anyway, she's fine and all said I got a good laugh.

2. kjade

kjade New Member

I'm glad your cat landed ok.

This reminded me of a story I have. A long time ago I lived in an apartment on the 5th floor. My roommate & I both had a cat. My cat always sat on the window sill in the living room.

One day I came home from work (it was summer so the window was open) and somehow the screen had gotten knocked out of the window. My cat was sitting on the air conditioner outside of the window!

I was so terrified to move near him because I was afraid he would jump. My roommate slowly walked toward him, and somehow lured him back in. That was scary, for sure. Remember, we were on the 5th floor!
  3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Think I read once about a study of cats how far they can "safely fall" in New York City.

Apparently, two or three stories were the most dangerous. At higher heights the cats have time to orient themselves so land on feet and may even spread out like hang gliders. However, I think the cats would strenuously object to any repeat confirmation experiments.
  4. painterZ

painterZ New Member

a fall from the fifth floor, but according to the mad scientist he may have just glided down...glad he didn't have to try and see.

OMG madscientist you always crack me up...missed seeing you as much around here...stuck in your lab or somethin'?

5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I try to make it look easy, but I really work hard to get posts just right:)

Just some things going on theories, darn investigations, the usual. (Flu season too)

Cheers, your Mr Bill

Oh,no, I realize why posting less recently.......I'm too easily stimulated and encouraged!

I will probably spend the rest of evening thinking about flying cat circuses and sky diving parachutes for! :)

PS. Before you hear the news tomorrow, I wish to formally disavow any connection to the discovery of dynamite and fertilizer in a nearby location:) Merely a coincidence that I live near the soon to be famous person in Quincy CA. It wasn't me!

[This Message was Edited on 03/13/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2008]