Guess what...I'm really sick...isn't that great?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Sep 23, 2008.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I got the lab work from my physical today and I have some pretty major things going on. I'm actually so excited about one diagnosis in particular because I finally know something is really wrong and they can't blame it on "having psych issues". My tremendous abdominal pain is due to inflammatory bowel disease. I've been referred to my GI doc for a more diffinative diagnosis. They actually have a blood test out now to test for this and it was positive. I'm relieved that I'm not making this up in my head. I also have hypothyroidism (which explains a lot too), Vit D difficency, and some "concerning although not threatening at this time" renal results. The kidney stuff is probably caused by being on lithium for an enternity and now I've been off it for several months. The GI stuff is probably caused by fighting bulimia for over two decades (although now my binges and purges are much more controlled). I didn't know or care that taking three to four boxes of laxatives a day caused permanent bowel I'm paying the price. I'm already on lots of meds for my depression and polycystic ovarian disorder (which causes systemic problems) and not thrilled about adding two more. I'm hopeful that this will help me try and be more active and responsible for taking care of myself (being good to myself). That's a HUGE thing for me. Crazy what it takes before you start to listen isn't it?

2. victoria

victoria New Member

What blood tests shows 'inflammatory bowel disease' and what further tests further define what it's being caused by, tho?

I think it's crazy that the doctor(s) haven't been listening to YOU. (I have a GF who was bleeding and ultimately almost hemorrhaged to death 9 months after having a child (not all the placenta was removed) - her doc was telling her & her DH it was all in her head AND sending her to a psychiatrist who agreed!)

Sure hope this starts you on your road to recovery!

all the best,

3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

that the doctors can have quite a few "serious psych issues":)

Glad you are feeling better, or at least, have some more certainty, etc. Your mr Bill
  4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Finally, I bet you are relieved that they finally believe you and found the problem. Is inflammatory Bowel Disease the same thing as irritable bowel syndrom (ibs) or is that something else??? I have the IBS and fortunately ever since I quite caffiene and spicy foods I have controlled it pretty good.

Well, I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that they can solve the problems now that they know what it is. I am glad you kept on them and didn't give up.

[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2008]
  5. painterZ

painterZ New Member

Victoria-I'm not sure what blood test in particular was used but I do know that it's on some new panel they have to screen for IBD. I need to ask my doc what it is 'cause I'm curious too.
    I'll prob end up with either barium studies or a colonoscopy, neither or which sounds great but whatever I need for some more concrete answers I'll do. I need to speak with my GI doc hopefully tomorrow.

"Mad"-sarcastic Ha Ha-no seriously...I didn't know to believe myself or not but kinda knew nothing could hurt this much and not be caused by something. I just like to keep the doctors guessing:)

"Fibro"-my doc told me I had irritable bowel initially but apparently inflammatory bowel is different (although they both use the same initials). Apparently my intestines are inflammed and could have little ulcers or an infected area in there somewhere. I've had gastric ulcers before but I don't know if that raises your risk for intestinal ulcers. I have several questions for my doctor tomorrow.

Grammy-you're never too old to learn, right? I know that my other issues are going to go through their cycles of being active and then less apparent to me (both my psych and physical stuff). I just hope that I can reach into my mind and pull out how I feel right now and keep telling myself that I need and want to improve things. I still have a young daughter and want to be active with her. If I start losing sight of that you have to remind me of what I'm saying now...K?

Thanks for all your support.

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm glad for you and glad for us, that your doctors are taking you seriously. I believe stories like yours prove that "CFS" is not in itself a disease but rather a name used to say "Something but we don't know what". Maybe we could change CFS to SBWDKW. On second thought, I guess not.......

For me I've been amazed by the difference in my energy when I stopped all sugar, reduced carbs (eat only "good" carbs and in grain form only at night), added a bit of D and found a type of B-12 I could tolerate. The yet-unresolved issue for me is sleep and I think that will do wonders!

Best to you, PainterZ, in your recovery! I wish us all the same.
  7. painterZ

painterZ New Member

but I'm not looking forward to GI doc wants a colonoscopy and I'm scheduled for next Friday. I don't really have reservations about the procedure but I'm not thrilled about the anesthesia because I have difficulty with it (difficulty arousing from it, I tend to not want to breath, and I can get combative). The bowel prep the night before isn't much fun either but you gotta do...

8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Glad you finally have some 'real' things to deal with. Gosh, that doesn't sound right at all!
    Don't they just give you that vercet (sp?)for colonoscopies- where you're not really out, just don't know what's going on. At least that's what everyone I know that's had one has had - no one has been put under.

I always thought my IBS was payment for my bulimic years. (many many years ago) I too took boxes of laxatives. My poor bowels never knew what to do on their own. I don't know if the two have anything to do with one another.

I wish you the best!!!
  9. painterZ

painterZ New Member

Is that your real name? Of course you don't have to tell me but it's so pretty.

Yep, I was told I'd be put into "twillight" with the Versed but I have probs remembering to breath when I'm sedated at all. Hopefully I'll do fine.

Funny...of course as soon as I scheduled my test I started feeling better. This morning I woke up with some really minor in comparison discomfort and was once again thrilled telling my body it better not get well until AFTER this procedure :) Very odd.

10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Thank you for the nice compliment!

I hope you do fine with the Verset (sp?)Hopefully with the anesthesiologist knowing the problems you have, he'll keep an extra close eye on you. I'm sure he will.

Isn't that always the way it is! (feeling better) It's like when you go to get your hair done. That morning, it looks fabulous!
    Or if you go to buy a pregnancy test, I swear, right after you pay for it, you get your period. LOL

We'll be thinking of you on Friday!