Guess Where Kholmes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Jun 29, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Ken,check out my profile to see if you recognise the pic.You should,lol,you've been here before to this very famous Scottish seaside resort.
    I visited there last weekend & took some pics on my mobile phone but the weather was terrible,so I didn't get up to much due to the pouring rain.
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

No fair you getting to go to St Andrews--or to any other Scottish seaside resort, for that matter.

Is the green grass part of the Old Course?

You took that picture on your camera phone? The resolution is pretty good.

Sorry about the bad weather. It was a lot like that the day I was there, but I walked around the 18th hole of the Old Course, and also through the university and to the old church ruins. I also bought a brown wool sweater in town.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2007]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Let's see, Paul. The weather was negative, but you still got a picture?

I saw a cell phone that is actually a gun on one of those humor sites that shows short videos. I think that would be more practical for anyone traveling around Los Angeles.

Hello, Operator. I'd like to place a person-to-target call. Could you hurry please? It's been a long day and my nerves are shot.

Hard to believe that the early golf balls were made of feathers. I guess the ball wouldn't travel as far as a modern sphere, so that would keep one's score "down".

We had a golf course in the village where I grew up. It had 9 holes. The only hazards were there naturally: sinkholes. The result of karst topography which also produced the cave outside of town where I was a guide during my angst-ridden adolescence.

We kids used to find lost golf balls in the sinkholes and sell them back to the golfers for ten cents.

In those days, you could buy a coke and a candy bar for ten cents. (You could also buy 3 first-class stamps and get change.) Or you could add 2 cents to the dime and have enuff for admission to a movie for which you got: a double feature, travelogue, previews, and a cartoon.

Gosh, when I started this I didn't realize the Kevin Bacon connection to ducks, candy, cinema, urban violence and history.

4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Ken,yep that pic is St Andrews,the home of golf,& the green bit was the side of the 18th hole.I remember you posting previously that you had walked down the 18th.
    But what a beautiful little town St Andrews is.I was there on holiday several times to the caravan park Kinkell Braes when I was about 11 or 12 & it's ages since I've visited there.
    Last week I was there on a day trip with my brother & we walked down the main street(North Street) at the top of which is the ruins of St Andrews Cathedral.
    Check my profile for a pic of this.
    I think I would have loved to have studied at the University & every second building along the main street seems to be a University building.I think it's very quaint how the Uni buildings merge in with all the other buildings around the town.Gives the place a feeling that it's a real Seat of Learning.
    Our future king,Prince William studied at St Andrews a few years back.
    But hey,we couldn't get doing much,just after I took this pic it started raining so we had to head back to the car.
    Only stayed in St Andrews for about 2 hours then headed along the Fife coastal route & travelled thro loads of scenic holiday towns.
    Ken,I wonder if your old brown sweater still fits you,lol.
    Hi rock,10 cents for a candy bar & coke,lol.I remember my mum telling us that when she went to the cinema as a kid in the 50's the entrance fee was in jam jars,I kid you not.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Up late/earlie,,,That sounds like a kool trip you took! Really like the photos of the Ruins in your Bio!,,,,,
    Prince Will and prince Harry were in the US Giving an interview about their lives and their Mom Di,,,,

and how powerful she was under the circumstances,,,,,,,,she is held in high Reverance here in the U.S.

it showed the Boys at the St, Andrews school and their Graduation really Kool,,,They have Grown up to Be fine youg Men! Not alot about Their Father in the interview,,,,,,,,Anyway just up late ramblin' ,,lol sis
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Get to bed!!
    Only kidding,lol.
    Haven't actually seen the video of Wills & Harry yet.A lot of us are really interested in the Royals & then again about an equal amount of us are disinterested.
    Yep,did enjoy my trip last week,thanks.
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi,,I'm BK.
    There was a horrible Thunder/wind storm,,,last night,,,,Scared Me and the Dog!,,lol What are your Views of Princess Diana,,,S
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I no longer have the brown wool sweater I bought in St. Andrews. To tell you the truth, I don't remember what happened to it.

Another good picture: the St Andrews Cathedral. That's a beautiful site. I remember that being on the south end of town. You're right about the university building mixing in with the town. I don't remember the campus being distinct and separate, like so many universities are.

After college, I wanted to go to St Andrews, too. They offer a Masters degree in Shakespeare Studies, and I almost applied, but I opted for film school at the University of Iowa instead. Is it too late for us to go back to school at St. Andrews?

So that was the 18th green. I thought that looked familiar. Right behind you, I'll bet, was the Royal and Ancient club house.
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very punny, as usual.

So you were a tour guide to the caves in the area where you grew up? Sounds like something right out of Mark Twain.

Ever visit the Crystal Caves in Wisconsin when you were a kid. My teacher took our fifth grade class on a field trip there.
  10. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Sis,don't really have any opinion on Princess Diana other than she undertook some very important charity work.
    Hope you've recovered after the storms last night.
    Ken,I think you would have loved the Shakespeare studies degree,how cool would that have been to study that at St Andrews.
    I've put up a new pic of the Forth Rail Bridge as taken from North Queensferry where we stopped for lunch on our way home from St Andrews.The is adjacent to the Forth Road Bridge which adjoins Fife(North Queensferry) to the Edinburgh area(South Queensferry).In the 11th century Queen Margaret provided ships between these two areas & hence the two landing points became North & South Queensferry.
    As you can see from the pic the bridge is currently undergoing extensive repair work.
  11. rockgor

Ive been to Crystal Cave. Been to all the caves in Southern Mn and nearby Iowa and Wisconsin. Crystal Cave was at Spring Valley, WI.

Spring Valley was near Menomonie, WI. Girl from there taught me how to neck half a century ago.

There's also a Spring Valley, CA and a Spring Valley, MN. Laura Ingalls Wilder lived in Spring Valley, MN for a year or so.

Paul, if you take that bridge photo and color in the spaces, you'll have a tartan.

12. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Very good,haha.You may be onto something there,the Forth Rail Tartan as patented by Rockgor,lol.
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I like the tartan idea, Rock. Very creative of you. Doesn't it seem like Laura Ingalls Wilder lived in every single small town in southeastern Minnesota or western Wisconsin? I'm starting to wonder if towns aren't just putting plaques about her out on the highway at wayside rests, and completely making up things about the ubiquitious Laura.

Did I tell you that all of my step-siblings grew up in Spring Grove, MN?

Paul: That's an impressive bridge. I'll have to find it on Google Earth. Is it a railway bridge, or can vehicles cross it as well? Did you drive to St. Andrews or take a train or coach? The bridge looks familiar; I wonder if I crossed it on my way to St Andrews.
  14. rockgor

Kenneth McKellar used to sing a song called "The Tartan". Not sure if he wrote it or not. I was reading about some later singer. He said he tried to put emotion into his songs like McKellar and Andy Stewart did.

They both had great arrangements.

No, Ken, you never said anything about Spring Grove. I think I posted that we used to drove over there now and then when I was a kid and get sodas from their great bottling plant.

World's best strawberry soda. 5 cents a bottle; 2 cent deposit. Last time I was back in Mn I bought some Spring Grove soda in a super market in Rochester. $1.00 per bottle. Plant has been in business for over one hundred years.

An old friend from the Oakland Bay area wrote a couple weeks ago. Said he was going back to MN for a visit. Why didn't I come along. We could sit on the porch and watch the fireflies and drink Spring Grove pop.

Hoots and begorrah

15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Never heard of the Spring Grove bottled pop (notice I didn't say "soda.") When I was a kid, living in South St. Paul, we would get cartons of bottled soda in Inver Grove Heights: grape, orange, cherry, wild cherry, strawberry. Who knows, maybe it came from Spring Grove?

Not only did my step-siblings grow up there, but I was surprised to find out that the dean of students at my former school, Albuquerque Academy, also grew up in Spring Grove. She was a tall, blond Swede who also coached volleyball.
  16. sisland

sisland New Member

nice photo of the Bridge! I Saw on the news where there was a suv bombing at the Glasgow airport,,,,kinda of close to where you are,,,,,,scarey! also 2 in London in front of Pickadillie (SP)Square,,,,,,,Whats the world comming to!,,,Hope it isn't to close,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2007]
  17. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Ken,that's the Forth Rail Bridge,apparently it was the worlds first major steel bridge, completed in 1890.Due to the hazardous conditions over 50 men died during the construction of the bridge.
    Ken,if you were coming from the Edinburgh area when travelling to St Andrews you probably crossed on the Forth Road Bridge which runs alongside the Rail Bridge.Check my profile for an aerial pic of the area.The north side of the pic is North Queensferry(Fife & St Andrews side of the bridge) & this side of the pic is South Queensferry(Edinburgh area).
    My brother was driving that day & we took the Fife coastal route home from St Andrews thro many beautiful seaside towns of Fife.
    Check this link for an enlarged pic of the area:

Sis,yeh,its been shocking what's happening over here in the UK in the past few days.First there was the two massive car bombs which failed to go off,thankfully,in London the other day.
    Now we have an attempt to blow up part of Glasgow airport by 2 suicide bombers.It was on our news channels non-stop today.These 2 guys tried to ram a Cherokee Jeep thro the entrance doors to the Airport.It was miraculous that no one died in the incident as hundreds of holidaymakers where checking-in only yards away.Well the car caught alight at the entrance & when the 2 guys realised they couldn't advance the motor any further one of them jumped out & doused himself & the car in petrol & he caught fire as well.Well this guy was very badly burned & is now critical in hospital & the other guy is in police custody.It later emerged that the guy in hospital was wearing some sort of suicide belt so he was probably trying to detonate that.Very scary stuff & amazing that no real damage or fatalities were caused.
    I live at the other side of Glasgow about 30 miles away but when these things happen in your own country it's very chilling.