Guess Where New Pic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Apr 16, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Good morning guys,haven't posted a photo for a while,so here goes.Check out my profile for a stunning pic of a well-known tourist attraction which attracts many thousands of visitors each year.
    What do you think,can anyone guess where?
    Let me know if you need any clues.
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

looks like a great place to be. I'll be looking for the answer.

You post great pics....thanks.

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I didnt know but my hub does, will keep quiet to give others a go.

Weird looking, looks like a mini New York with all the skyscrapers.

4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I've been looking and looking, stils can't find it. Good thing I can use my fingers to look, cause if I had to climb all those steps I'd be DEAD.
  5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I'll give out a small clue.It's not in Scotland & I've visited this place many years ago.
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

In no "way" would I want to "cause" you any more searching than is necessary.
    There is a "gigantic" clue in there somewhere,lol.
    All will become apparent in due course.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/16/2007]
  7. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

But it sure looks neat! Is this man made, or nature made??

8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yep,well done Linda,thanks for keeping quiet a little longer.This place has a fascinating history & some fantastic legendary stories about it.I'm sure the locals like to keep the legendary stories going as it adds to the attraction of the place.
    Well,I'll need to go & think of an appropriate prize for you.
    We'll let others have a go at guessing it in the meantime.
  9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I guess I was posting to Linda when you posted so I never saw your post until I posted.
    It's not hard to get confused these days wi the fog,lol.

Yep its natural & was formed after some intense volcanic activity millions of years ago,but there are some legendary tales about how it was formed.
    All will be revealed shortly.

You all must have heard of Finn McCool.Oops,another clue.
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Yea For Me! first time i've ever found one! It's the Columar Basalt Rock Formation at Giants Causeway On the North Ireland Coast!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks Paul For giving my Brain something to do today! lolol!
  11. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I found explanations on how the rock is formed, but no legends??

Please do tell!
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

Didn't mean to take all the credit! Thanks again! I'm going to check out the link,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,S
  13. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sorry I missed this game, I'll have to jump in next time. You are probably in dream land right now, hope you got some good sleep! Kim :)
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sorry I missed the game. I've had computer problems lately. But I did recognize this one! I'd love to take a walk there.

15. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Way to go Sydney & Linda,well done on getting the Giant's Causeway.Way back in 1993(gee,can't believe that was 14 years ago) when I toured Ireland with my friends this was our first stop after getting off the ferry from Scotland at Belfast.Well,we got the 6 o'clock morning ferry from Stranraer & arrived in Belfast about 7.30am & the Giants Causway is only about an hours drive away.
    I can remember it was a beautiful summers morning & because we got there early it was very quiet,& it was so peaceful to walk from the Visitor Centre along the coast to the actual Causeway.Check out the link below for an aerial photo of the area & you can see how beautiful it is:

At the bottom right of the pic is the Visitor Centre & The Causeway Hotel.So Linda & Sydney,that's your prize,an all-expenses paid overnight stay at the Causeway Hotel,how about that????LOL.
    Then you can explore the beautiful scenery around these parts.Or how about checking out the nearby ropebridge called Carrick-A-Rede,definitely not for the faint-hearted.Check the link below & you'll see what I mean.Thankfully I never crossed the bridge.

The Giant's Causeway is just outside the small town of Bushmills,you may have heard of Bushmills Irish Whiskey which is distilled here.

Hope you all enjoyed the game.

16. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Here's what Wikipedia says about The Giant's Causeway,the link being(thanks Linda):'s_Causeway

.........which gives futher fantastic pics.

Wikipedia says:
    "The Giant's Causeway is an area of 40,000 interlocking basalt columns resulting from a volcanic eruption. It is located on the North East coast about 2 miles (3 km) north of the town of Bushmills in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1986, and a National Nature Reserve in 1987 (by the Department of the Environment for Northern Ireland). In a 2005 poll of Radio Times readers, Giant's Causeway was named as the fourth greatest natural wonder in the United Kingdom. The Giant's Causeway is owned and managed by the National Trust. The tops of the columns form stepping stones that lead from the cliff foot and disappear under the sea. Most of the columns are hexagonal, however there are some with four, five, seven and eight sides. The tallest are about 12 metres (36 ft) high, and the solidified lava in the cliffs is 28 metres thick in places."

The legend of the Causeway is something the locals like to keep going as it adds to the attraction of the place,well,you know the Irish,they love a good story,lol.

Wikipedia says:
    "Legend has it that the Irish giant Fionn mac Cumhaill (Finn McCool) built the causeway to walk to Scotland to fight his Scottish counterpart Benandonner. One version of the legend tells that Finn McCool fell asleep before he got to Scotland. When he didn't arrive, the much larger Benandonner crossed the bridge looking for him. To protect Fionn, his wife Oonagh laid a blanket over Fionn and pretended he was actually Fionn's baby son (in a variation, Fionn fled after seeing Benandonner's great bulk, and asked his wife to disguise him as the baby.) In both versions, when Benandonner saw the size of the 'infant', he assumed the alleged father, Fionn, must be gigantic indeed. Therefore, Benandonner fled home in terror, ripping up the Causeway in case he was followed by Fionn. Another variation is that Oonagh painted a rock shaped like a steak and gave it to Benandonner, whilst giving the baby (Fionn) a normal steak. Benandonner sees that the baby eats it so easily, that he runs away tearing up the causeway."

17. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

18. paulmack

paulmack New Member

LOL,it does look like lego,hehe.
  19. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for the search and the info! I really enjoy doing these searches,,,,,It's a Learning Exsperience,,, and Fun at the same Time!,,,,,,The prize sounds Great!,,,,,I Wish! Lolol,,,,,,,,,,,,S,,,,,,P.s. Please Keep them comming,, when your feeling up to it!
  20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Isn't there another place, not sure if it's in Ireland or Scotland, that has similar square rock formations as the Giants Causeway? Seems like I read about another place that looked almost identical.