Guifenisin protocol?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kryssie, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Kryssie

Kryssie New Member

Is anyone trying this? I have thought about it..There is so much out there now to try, Im not sure which way to go!
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

kryssie:

I think there might be a wealth of information if you use the search above.

I know it has been discussed.

Good luck if you try it.

nyrofan
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Do a search on Guai and you can read our old posts. Also, go to fibromyalgiatreatment.com to read about the protocol. My FMS symptoms are what I consider reversed with this treatment. It is a long-term treatment which requires strict adherence to the rules, patience, and commitment.

If you decide to do this, you will need to buy Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Yes, I've been doing the Guaifenesin protocol too for 16 monthswith slow but steady improvement. It will take me about another 3-4 years to reverse 20 years of severe symptoms.

You do need to follow the book exactly, & be sure to use one of the recommended brands of Guaifenesin. The ones sold here are fine.

This takes a lot of commitment, but for me it's been worth it.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is worth the commitment. There are a very few for whom this doesn't work but for the overwhelming majority who follow the protocol, it does. Considering that I was bedridden most of the time and on morphine for pain six years ago, I often wonder where I'd be today if I hadn't decided to try the Guai. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I read parts of the book three times through my Fibro Fog before I understood it well enough to get myself sal free. The rest was text book for me. It worked at 300 mgs. twice a day but I continually increased the dose to hurry up the process. Now, I just take 400 mgs. of the FA Guai twice a day for maintenance. I actually do OK taking it just once a day but Claudia suggested taking it twice or even three times. She thought it might help my CFIDS fatigue. I think once I get all this inflammation and infection out of my body, the fatigue will get much better. I'll let y'all know.

Please, anyone who reads this and is tired of trying to find something for the pain and other symptoms of FMS, at least go to the website and find out what is involved. I'll forever be grateful that I did.

Love, Mikie
  6. Kryssie

Kryssie New Member

That is encouraging Mikie!

I am concerned because the stuff usually made me nauseous when I took it for cough :-|

But Im going to look into it I guess I was mainly looking for a quick rundown of side effects or positive effects from you people who have been on it for a while now.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is usually other ingredients in cough preparations which make one feel sick. The Guai for the protocol has no other active ingredients. It can be taken with food if it upsets your stomach.

Traditionally, it was thought that the LA Guai worked better because it was time release and kept a steady level of the Guai in the body. Since then, Dr. St. Amand has said that the FA Guai works as well as long as it is taken throughout the day. The advantage of the FA Guai is that it is sold here in 400 mg. tablets without the blue dye in the other types. When I switched from the white tablets to the Blue ones, I got a rash but it didn't last.

I did use the LA Guai when I started and I recommend it because it is easier and probably keeps a more steady flow of the med in the system. BTW, even though the Guai is time release, it is safe to cut the tablets to adjust the dose. If the blue dye causes problems, one can switch to the white FA Guai sold here. They also sell the LA Guai.

Even though the rule of thumb for reversal is 2-3 months on the Guai for every year one has been ill, it doesn't take that long to start feeling better. I had some really good days early on. I also had some Guai flares but nothing I couldn't handle. As one goes along, there are fewer and fewer flare days and more and more good ones.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie