Gum Disease/Periodontitis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hysperia, Sep 19, 2005.

1. hysperia

hysperia New Member

Hi all. I haven't asked anything for quite awhile. But now I have a new problem and want to find out if it is related to Chronic Fatigue.

I believe I have just diagnosed myself with periodontitis - that is, gum disease. There are great big huge pockets between my gums and a few of my teeth, both in front of them and behind them. And there's been a horrible taste in my mouth for a long time, but I thought it was this illness.

Questions and Problems:

1. Does anyone know if there's a relationship between gum disease and CFS type illnesses? I did a search here but didn't come up with anything too helpful.

2. I am seeing a dentist on Thursday and haven't talked to my CFS doc about this gum problem.

Is there anyone who has had experience with both CFS AND gum disease, who knows if there are any treatments that are particularly good or particularly bad and to be avoided?

I won't have a chance to ask my doc before seeing dentist.

Also, the dentist won't know anything about CFS, I will have to educate, so if there is anything I should know and any of you know it, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks so much.
  2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Gum Disease is bacteria and it cn also cause all kinds of digestive issues. I would go to the dentist as it needs to be treated whether it is connected to CFS or not. It is one more thing your poor overloaded immune system is having to deal with! Lynn
  3. KelB

KelB New Member

Since my CFS started just over a year ago, I've had gingivitis (gum inflammation) three times when I've never had it before. My dentist says that people with CFS are more susceptible to all infections, because their immune systems are run down.

I've just had the standard treatment for gingivitis, which has sorted it out each time. I don't think there are treatments specifically tailored to people with FM/CFS and gum problems, just the treatment that they'd give as standard.

I'm also routinely referred to the dental hygienist now the CFS has started, to be sure of catching anything early before it causes trouble.

I'd say it's important to mention your CFS to the dentist, just in case he "believes" and can be more vigilent on your behalf.

4. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I have also recently started having probs with my gums. I hesistate to go to the dentist because I have TMJ that ws triggered by having dental work done. WHenever I go it triggers several months of a flare up. I started using sensitive toothpaste and try to brush gently.
  5. Royler

Royler New Member

Gum disease is prevalent in CFS patients for a number of reasons - for one, we're often too tired to maintain our dental hygiene. (Can't tell you how many times I used to skip brushing due to not even wanting to walk to the bathroom.)

Stress is also a HUGE contributor to gum problems - and as most of us know, having CFS and being limited in our lifestyles can cause incredible emotional strain.

Of course, there's also overextended immune systems.

You need to see a dentist immediately. There's a difference between gingivitis and actual gum disease. Gingivitis is merely inflammation of the gums caused by food particles not getting removed regularly, which will prompt them to slide into your gumline. A good dental cleaning and refocus on your oral hygiene can eliminate gingivitis completely.

Gum disease/periodontis is what happens when gingivitis runs unchecked - there's no "cure" for it, and bone loss can result. You'd need another cleaning - possibly into the gumline - and far more dedication to your dental health to keep it under control.

Flossing is a MUST, and this is why. Nothing - not a water pick, not mouthwash, NOTHING - can get rid of food particles in between your teeth except floss.

No matter how tired or bummed you are, always make time to brush 2x daily and floss at least once.
  6. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

You can rinse with salt water or half-strength peroxide [don't swallow either one!] and those will help some with the inflammation.
    And I just read about a study that says that using an electric toothbrush [like Sonicare] reduces gingivitis and gum disease since it cleans more thoroughly and most people don't brush 2 or 3 minutes like they should with a regular toothbrush. I guess it's worth the expense of the unit.
    But DO go to the dentist - as stated, you can have bone loss or even a systemic infection. It wears your general health down and Lord knows, we don't have that much health left to wear down! BUT - also DO ask questions about whatever treatment the dentist recommends - you need to know all the risks, side effects, costs, etc. and be comfortable with it all before saying OK.
    Take care of yourself, honey!

7. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

is the best advice I can give you. I had bad gum disease about 20 years ago. My teeth were all loose and the gums were bleeding. I was so stressed out at the time that I didn't even notice it until my hygienist said I better take care of that if I wanted to keep my teeth.

The first Periodontist I went to wanted to pull 10 teeth. I was terrified of dentists and dental work from bad childhood experiences. I was ready to get all my teeth pulled to have my contact with that species severed forever. But then I went to a lecture at a hospital by a different periodontist. He sounded so nice and knowledgable that I made an appointment with him. I'm trying not to be too long-winded, but.... The treatment was deep scaling--cleaning below the gums, antibiotics for infection and vitamins. He did one quadrant at a time and I religiously took care of my teeth. I had some deep pockets and he wanted to do bone grafting, but I kept putting him off. I took a class on stress management and visualization and worked on visualizing healthy gums and teeth every day. (Let me know if you want to know more about that.) After awhile they took new x-rays of my mouth and some of the bone had actually grown back. The doc said he'd never seen that before and backed off on the surgery idea.

Today I still have all my teeth and no trouble with my gums. I still hate to go to the dentist and make them give me nitrous even if I'm only getting my teeth cleaned. I think dentists might know about fibro because fibro patients are more sensitive to pain and they need to use extra meds. I'm not sure if it's the same with CFS.

Wishing you healthy gums soon!

8. hysperia

hysperia New Member

To everyone who responded to my questions.

I know I don't just have gingivitis, because I can SEE the pockets between my teeth and my gums, so I've got some progression here.

I am seeing a dentist, as I said, and will certainly take your advice and tell her about CFS.

AND, this really does have to do with lack of proper care due to illness. I brush my teeth religiously, but have failed to floss on a consistent basis. And, haven't seen the dentist in 1 1/2 yrs because felt too ill to go.

STILL feel too ill to go, but now I have to, no choice. Shouldn't have given myself the choice before either. Just that I want to be taken there on a STRETCHER! Ha ha, that would be a sight.

BUT, I am certainly a good example of a person getting herself into more trouble through lack of adequate self-care. I have a personal care worker who comes and gives me a shower, but I don't think she'd be interested in flossing my teeth!

Oh well. Another day, another challenge, right?! I'll just have to force myself to floss and I hope others are listening here because from my research, this is not necessarily a pleasant process, fixing this problem once it has gone this far.

Good luck everyone and THANKS AGAIN TO ALL.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Over the age of 35 has gum disease. It is a major health risk to leave it untreated. There are actually several treatments available. Antibiotics can be give and deep cleanings done where the teeth are scraped at the gum line. If the disease is deeper, they can make incisions in the gums and clean clear down deep. In worst cases, they can transplant healthy gum tissue and remove the bad tissue.

This is assuming you want to try to save the teeth. I believe it is always better to save one's teeth where possible but some prefer to have them pulled.

I dip my toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide to clean any bacteria off of it before applying toothpaste. I use those little brushpicks and I floss. I also use a hard rubber gum stimulator to bring bloodflow into the gums. I use two different types of toothbrushes. One has a small battery which doesn't move the brush; it changes the electrical polarity of the teeth and gum surfaces to allow easier removal of plaque. I also use an electric Oral B round rotating brush. Finally, I have a WaterPik. I fill it with hydrogen peroxide mixed with a little Listerine. It will often dislodge food particles even after I have flossed. The Listerine blocks the Gaui, so I don't do it often, but I can use it with warm water as often as I want.

Oral health is one thing we can't afford to neglect.

Love, Mikie
    Waynesrhythm likes this.
  10. ChrisKyle

ChrisKyle Member

Just Google it
    smithwilliams likes this.
  11. ChrisKyle

ChrisKyle Member

I am not agree with you, if your dentist are quite experienced having great knowledge of his/her work then definitely he/she would like to provide all type of information regarding your gum problem.But if you think it doesn't seem to work for you then just check out this article Here you can find complete details about periodontal problems and gum diseases.Gather information yourself as everything is on Google.:)