Gum Diseases and Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tinaeve, Sep 3, 2006.

1. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

For the past several months I have noticed that my gums are receding at a fast rate of speed.My teeth are showing way to much and now a few are very lose.I think they are dying.I have read about gum diseases being another problem for us fibro people.Does anyone else have this problem?I have been putting off going to Dentist because Of all my other medical bills,but have broken down and made an appt for next week.

I know I have waited too long now,so am going to try to get them to just pull them all and go for false teeth.I needed braces and never got them so I have a mouth full of ugly teeth anyway.Just hope they will work with me on payments.I do have insurance but it's not that good on dental.

Am curious to know how many others have this problem. tinaeve
  2. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

bumping so more can read this.The board is running so fast these days.
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I too put off going to the dentist and got an expensive shock this year. After 30 years without a cavity I had 6!

My dentist said that it was probably a combination of not taking care of my teeth as well since I have been so ill but also the amitriptyline I take to help me sleep.

Amitriptyline like a lot of medications causes dry mouth so there isn't as much saliva to protect your teeth from cavities.

I asked my GP to try changing my meds but after a week on a new pill and no sleep I had to return to the amitriptyline. I had to choose between cavities and sleep! We can't win!

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  4. yesnettv

yesnettv New Member

I have been helped by calcium therapy at www.calciumtherapy.com. I use the "home tray system".
    Has saved my teeth. Any questions, just ask!
  5. sleepwalk

sleepwalk New Member

I'm having the same problems. I'm twenty-nine and never had a cavity until this year when I got eight!

Plus, my dentist keeps noting that my gums are receding quickly. He keeps checking that I'm using a soft toothbrush and not brushing too hard, and I'm doing everything he told me to.

I take 1000 mg of very good CoQ10, so I don't think that's my problem.

I also have very bad skin problems, so I almost never skip washing my face and brushing my teeth morning and night. (Ah, the many nights I've spent lying on the bathroom floor, trying to work up enough energy to hang on the sink to wash my face! lol!)

My doctor says that people with CFS often get dry mouth, which turns their mouths acidic, which can encourage cavities. He suggested using a baking soda toothpaste. I just started using that, so we'll see if it helps.
  6. sleepwalk

sleepwalk New Member

While I suppose dry mouth is the underlying problem, the baking soda is just supposed to help with the pH and the cavities.

My dry mouth isn't that bothersome. I'm glad you found something to help yours, Wendy.

7. Cobi

Cobi New Member

Hi,

My gums are receding also. It was only one tooth that was slowly receding but now that I have digestive problems in addition to CFS, the recession has increased and other teeth have started to recede.
    Whenever I eat foods or supplements that don't agree with me, my gums ache and recede more.
    I tried Coq10, but my sensitive stomach didn't tolerate it.
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Cobi