gums affected by fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clueless, Sep 17, 2002.

1. clueless

clueless New Member

I had my teeth cleaned and a large filling x-rayed as it was sensitive to hot and cold.I was pleasantly surprised to find my dentist knows about fibromyalgia and told me my gums being a soft tissue was affected by the disease and therefore are more tender and needed gentle care.I wish I could find a doctor with that same interest instead of telling me I needed to see a therapist to take the pain away .Stupid man ! You would think they would be embarassed to make such a statement.
  2. clueless

clueless New Member

I had my teeth cleaned and a large filling x-rayed as it was sensitive to hot and cold.I was pleasantly surprised to find my dentist knows about fibromyalgia and told me my gums being a soft tissue was affected by the disease and therefore are more tender and needed gentle care.I wish I could find a doctor with that same interest instead of telling me I needed to see a therapist to take the pain away .Stupid man ! You would think they would be embarassed to make such a statement.
  3. DeniseM

DeniseM New Member

I have CFS, and since I have been sick I have developed gum disease. My dentist advised me to use those litle brushes between my teeth. Well let me tell you... it helps!! They said they wanted to do "gum scraping" .. and of course.. my insurance won't pay....but since then I have used the gum brush and it worked.
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I am a mouth clencher & a grinder & I also have toothpick habit, the past few weeks I have noticed a lot more sensitivity, especially to cold foods like fruit.....which I just love. Does this get worse??? Are we all gonna lose all of our teeth?

Jaci
  5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I have bruxism associated with my FMS and my teeth are sensitive and my dentist (prior to my cross country move), had me start using Preventident toothpaste which is OTC, but is IN the pharmacists area, so you have to ask for it. I paid $14 several months ago & I received 2-3 tubes in each box. Each tube lasts a long time as you don't need much. I also use a Braun circular head rotating toothbrush. My instructions were to use it twice a day and within a month I had complete relief of my sensitive teeth pain. I will continue to use it. dolsgirl
  6. PMangels

PMangels New Member

I hate going to the dentist. It is sheer torture. I have to go tomorrow to get a check up and he will clean my teeth. It is unbearable. The cold water and polishing sends me through the "roof". He probably thinks I'm some kind of a "whimp" or something. I am dreading it already.

Arlene
  7. herblady

herblady New Member

i remember when i still had my teeth i had constant gum problems. even with careful brushing and flossing. now i wonder if it could have something to do with the fm, although that was a long time before i got diagnosed. cindi