Gupta Amygdala's Recovery Progam called "Retraining"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swedeboy, Oct 17, 2007.

1. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I recently came across an advertisement on this weeks ME/CFS newsletter about Gupta Amygdala's so called "retraining."

Has anyone tried it yet? Apparently it cost $190 for the program. It didnt even say if he was a real Doctor or not.
    His website is cfsrecovery dot com

Smiles, Sean
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2007]
  2. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

I saw it
    I wonder if it is like Mickel therapy
    I wish they could get organized and find something that works so that everyone could get better
  3. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

Hi Swedeboy

I just looked at your profile and saw that you used to be an athlete

I myself was a competitive gymnast in high school.
    I have always exercised -- running, biking, walking,
    swimming, rollerblading until I came down with this fatigue thing.

I have heard of some people trying Mickel therapy and they said it helped them.

4. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i am confused and wondering about allthis too. i have just bumkped a post called "reverse therapy..." becuase it has some info about gupta and his program.

5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Did you ever get a response from the IVIG's?

I had my first infusion, second one not until one month later. However, did you notice a difference?

Did you have a different taste in your mouth?

Fondly, June
  6. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I like you "give it a try" attitude. I'm the same way.
    Voodoo may be next.

I'm going to look up this "retraining"
    I recently bought a book on NLP--neuro linguistic programming, which is what the "Lightning Process" is based on. I thought I would study it and try it on my own. So far I'm impressed with it.

It's the most scientific of the self help approaches I've yet to come across.

Anyway, nice to make your acquaintance.
    Have you messaged wrthster?

There aren't that many guys with ME/CFS on this site.

I live in NYC and until recently made a living as a writer in advertising and before that did graphic design.

Now I'm in the worst relapse since I first got sick. But I'm hopeful.

I noticed you make art.

How do you like california?

I'd love to hear how you make ends meet!
    If you live in a healthy sunny place and can survive on ssdi and ssi? ssa? I'd love to hear about it. I've applied to ssdi and if I get it, I won't last in New York long.

I may have to leave NYC if I don't go back into remission by spring.

Anyway, keep in touch.

patrick at skylab-inc

May we all get well!

[This Message was Edited on 10/21/2007]
  7. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I had a suspicion.

It sounds a little like the Lightning Process, in that it suggests CFS is caused by the sympathetic nervous system being in a constantly aroused state. Hey, I'm open to it. A guy from London who now lives in NYC has gone back for his second Lightning Process workshop which promises to cure people of ME/CFS in a matter of days! It's a little overpromised, but I think there is a grain of good in what they are doing. Anyway, this chap thinks it's curing him so more power.

But at $190, "Retraining" is a bargain.
    I'll try it if they tell it's alright to do while on other treatments.

Maybe we should get a group to try it and support each other, check in each week, etc...

8. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Thanks for all the comments!

No, so far I haven't noticed any benefits from the IVIG treatments. I was hoping to at least get a little boost from it, I mean I went every day for 5 days and each IV took like 3 hours. One would think I'd get some positive reactions. Dr. Montoya said it should take around 3 months to notice benefits. I had my IVIG treatments between August 13-17.

New York Bro!
    Nice to meet you. Yeah I don't know how anyone with CFS could afford to live in NY City. I love California. I'm a northern Cali elitist, haha. I live in Saratoga, ca, (hour south of san francisco) south Bay Area, Silicon Valley.
    Luckily my landlord is a family friend and so my rent is very affordable between my fiance and me.

Although, my fiance and I are on the waiting list for both section 8 and subsidized housing in the Santa Cruz area. I love the Santa Cruz area. My fiance is on SSI, and I'm on SSI and SSDI so we qualify for subsidized housing where they only take 30% of your income.

Aside from the rent, living on $850 a month (we each get that amount) is very challenging. I am almost certain that California pays the most for disabled people. Plus California has its own medical insurance, called Medi-Cal. I've travelled all over and I wouldn't trade my California environment for anything.

Smiles, Sean
  9. annaviva

annaviva New Member

I just heard that EMDR can cure (!) CFS. Sounds along the same lines as all this other reprogramming of the mind in its various forms. Anybody heard anything about EMDR helping CFS?
  10. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I've never heard of EMDR, what does it stand for? what is it?

Smiles, Sean
  11. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
    It is a type of therapy that is supposed to help with
    Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
    You can look it up on Google
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2007]
  12. annaviva

annaviva New Member

EMDR is used by counsellors/psychologists and other mental health professionals and stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (sometimes Reprogramming)...a mouthfull! You can find more info at and all over the web. There are some very dedicated proponents of it although it remains a hotly debated issue.

I am not trained in the technique, but basically, through EMDR, the brain reprocesses painful/traumatic information in a way that it lessens the association with negative emotions without wiping out the memory of the event that caused them.
  13. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

I'm glad to hear from you but sorry to see you back --- would rather that you were off the board and doing well.

I wished someone from the UK ME/ CFS charities could come up with the money to send a couple folks (including skeptics) to these types of therapies and report back objectively how they did. They wouldn't have to give details of the process but just the outcomes.

Right now, it's hard to know if the testimonies are 'paid' advertising. And only wealthy people can afford it. In a past post, someone mentioned that people might not want to report negative results due to embarassment about spending such a huge amount of $.

Regarding Reverse Therapy, the U.K.'s Association of Young ME Sufferers (AYME?) did not have great reports back from their members who had undergone RT.

I'm skeptical but will continue to look at the outcomes.
  14. findmind

findmind New Member

I wrote a letter to Mr. Carson after that newsletter, asking him how he dared subject us to a non-MD, non-ND, non-PhD, non-anything person who wouldn't be straightforward enough to tell us what his program consists of, after all that PWCs have been subjected to over the decades.

I've not received an answer....have any of you?

15. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

But I only tried it once, she was waving her hand in front of my eyes and I thought, "I'm paying cash for this?"

But I'm open to anything. Perhaps if I gave it a chance.

It's funny how we've fought so hard to have this illness taken seriously, but in fact I would LOVE to find out it's "all in my head" and find some sort of therapy that would cure it.

I've tried the mind over matter thing. I moved to NYC and decided I was well in 2005 and 2006 because I was so fed up with CFS that I couldn't take it anymore. I lived like a healthy person for about 10 months, and some of that time I felt very well. But physiology caught up with me and I crashed worse than ever.

So the moral is: Mind over is matter cures have something to them, but they can be dangerous.
  16. findmind

findmind New Member

Actually, I've never received any answers to questions I've asked, so don't hold your breath waiting, ok?

17. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

I just got an email about this too and see it's on the home page of this website. Says to click here for more information and you are taken to which offers no explanation of what the treatment entails.

My volume is broken so I can't hear anything he's saying in the video.

I tend to agree with findmind,,,,,we with CFS have been subjected to a bunch of "snake oil" over the years and some of us have been leary of the "CURE" when there is no explanation on how it works or what it entails. Apparantly all you need is $190 and a meds, no supplements...just a DVD. I'm confused?

Does anyone know anything about this?

[This Message was Edited on 10/26/2007]
  18. findmind

findmind New Member

Well, how nice. My letter to the board was answered in the newsletter I got today.

Not a good answer: it was a paid advertisement, which I feel should be thoroughly screened before being accepted for this site.

But, I'll take it, I guess....
  19. lefty

lefty New Member

I looked at your profile and the only thing different was your name at the bottom, oh and I never competed in a triathalon but any sport with adrenaline from bmx racing, dirt jumping(sheep hills) and Jiu Jitsu/MMA...surfing you name it.

I seriously thought I was the only athlete going through this.

Glad you are here in a supportive way
  20. lefty

lefty New Member

Nice Bio and what a clean right...

These bios make me want to cry! It's a shame that this is so rampid. What I have notice is a lot of us are high achieving type A personalites.

I was a Police Officer and never met a gang member with these type of insidious illnesses. I have though met many affluent type with this illness. One particular lady sits deep in my mind. My partner and I arrived to her house on a domestic call possible attempt suicide. I walked in and notice a frail but young women sitting on the couch balling..I asked her what's wrong and she stated 'I'm sick with fibromyalgia and I don't want to live anymore' What struck me so hard was that as I walked into her room, there were numerous pill bottles everywhere from Ambien to oxycotin...When I looked at her CA ID it was a sad thing. She must have lost over 30lbs.