H1N1 and previous flu shot

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Spacey, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Spacey

Spacey Member

Did you see on the news that if you had a previous flu shot ( last year) that you will be at a higher risk of getting H1N1.Also symptoms may be worse. Makes these decisions even harder! Spacey
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

I never get a flu shot, but did they say why this happens???
  3. loto

loto Member

i did get a regular flu shot last year for some reason, don't know why i did, because i hadn't gotten one for years.
    i didn't get one this year. i wonder why we are at higher risk? Did it say all people, or people with FM and other conditions like ours?
    It is a hard decision, but for right now, i'm sticking to NOT getting one! I hope it is the right decision.

4. jole

jole Member

It was on CNN....but I don't remember the source, sorry, or the reason. I do remember them saying not to get the regular flu shot and the H1N1 vaccine........but after checking the 'net, all I can find is an article from Canada.

It says they will not give out the seasonal flu shots until after the H1N1 vaccines are given. They feel the the seasonal flu shots carry some immunity to the H1N1 virus anyway. It will NOT be given to anyone over 65 for that reason - that they have already probably built up enough immunity over the years to protect them should the come in contact with it.

An article from an FDA News Release on Sept. 15th said "People with severe or life-threatening allergies to chicken eggs OR to any other substances in the vaccine should not be vaccinated."

My question is, how do we know if we are allergic to "any other substances" in the vaccine???? I do know I can't take it, because I'm allergic to eggs. But none of us know if we're allergic to any other substances....perhaps that was the cause of death to the 14 year old girl?? Just a thought...

Also, when reading through articles, it is said that part of the vaccine prepared will contain mercury, and part of it won't. But you won't know which you are getting. Do you want more mercury in your body?

Plus the fact that it's documented that only 20-30% of the population even gets the flu, and they feel this will follow the same pattern. That's a pretty low percentage for me to feel the benefits outweigh the risks. Just my opinion...........................Jole
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Last time I got a flu shot, it made me sick. I know they SAY it CAN'T make you sick, but I beg to differ and have opted to skip it since.
  6. spacee

spacee Member

haha. Thanks for the info. We have had two young men in their early 30's die from H1N1 in my small town. V. Sad.

7. Spacey

Spacey Member

It somehow lowers your resistance and makes you more acceptable to H1N1. I didn't mean to take your name, spacee, I didn't know anyone else had this name. Thanks spacey.
  8. spacee

spacee Member

I have a twin in real life...You can be my twin here!

9. Spacey

Spacey Member

Now I have a twin, it's a good day!