H1N1 Flu Resurfaces in the Southeast

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by gapsych, Mar 29, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

The web address was too long to cut and paste so I just copied the whole article here. gap

H1N1 Flu Resurfaces in the Southeast

By Steve Sternberg,, USA TODAY

State and federal disease detectives have converged
    in Georgia to investigate a late-season flurry of
    people hospitalized with H1N1 flu, health officials
    said Monday.

Georgia reflects a "worrisome trend" of persistent flu
    throughout the Southeast, says Anne Schuchat,
    director of the Centers for Disease Control and
    Prevention's National Center for Immunization and
    Respiratory Disease.

Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina all report an
    increase in regional flu activity. Local clusters of
    cases have been reported in Arkansas, Louisiana,
    Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee and
    Virginia.

It's too soon to tell whether the situation in the
    Southeast heralds a new wave of illness nationwide,
    Schuchat says. "I'm worried about a different
    possibility — more cases occurring day in, day out"
    in people who believe H1N1, or swine flu, is no
    longer a threat.

Georgia's hospitalizations, and a sprinkling of
    deaths, began among adults in mid-February and
    have continued, says Patrick O'Neal, Georgia's
    director of emergency preparedness and response.

Each week since then, hospitals have reported at
    least 40 hospitalizations and no more than four
    deaths statewide, O'Neal says. "That doesn't sound
    like a lot," he says. "But we had dropped down to no
    hospitalizations at the end of December. Seeing 40
    per week was a significant increase for us."

Most of those hospitalized have chronic illnesses,
    including diabetes, chronic lung disease and
    neurologic ailments. Pregnancy also raises a
    woman's risk of severe flu illness.

U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin urged people
    Monday to get vaccinated, especially those in high-
    risk groups. O'Neal said parents should take
    children younger than 9 for the full set of two shots.

2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Heard it on the local news today here in Arizona. We are a tourist area. As people fly in and out for events (sports and otherwise) they fly illnesses in and out (you can have illnesses before symptoms show) and it passes quickly in tourist areas where there are lots of people at events.

My one relative was somewhere and flew home sick when she was contagious (really stupid thing to do) because she wanted to be in her own bed. And you know she's not the only one who does this.
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I had my swine flu shot and before that got my yearly flu shot, both without any after symptoms, and so far no flu for me. I've always gotten the yearly shot for many years because without the shot, I would get the flu when I worked and turn almost green and be out for a week or more. Now that I have lupus, I won't risk going without my flu shot. My pneumonia shot is also still good and I had a tetanus shot last year when I got cut. I'm not the age yet for the shingles shot through my HMO.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Good for you!!

I was visiting my sister last week and she told me this horrific story about a former friend's husband.

He was a Christian Scientist since a child and was never vaccinated. Ever. His family doctor would write that the kids were up to date with their shots when they were growing up. When this man started his career he paid to do the same thing. None of his friends even knew about this.

His job was an airplane pilot for a major airline. I say "was" as he was eventually fired and fined for lying on his application. Unfortunately, he did fly for three years and some of the flights were international. She had no idea what happened to the doctor.

This makes me shudder.

gap

ETA I have not heard of a shingles shot. What age do you have to be to get it. I know of someone who got shingles twice and it was awful.[This Message was Edited on 04/13/2010]
  5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Gap, with the medical plan I am on, they give the Shingles shot only when you reach age 60 so I'll get it then. Someone else on the boards watched her elderly relative go through shingles and it moved into the eye, so it convinced her to get the Shingles shot. I also remember us kids in school getting the polio vaccine and my young friend in leg braces at school from her having polio. Most on these boards, like me, have health ailments and don't have healthy immune systems, so I need the vaccine to absolutely keep me from flu.

[This Message was Edited on 05/01/2010]