H1N1 flu shots (esp for those who CAN take the reg. Flu shots)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi everydobby,

I am at a quandry myself as to whether to take it or not ( if there is enough to give us older people, after the others have been immunized). I have taken the regular flu shot with no problem but between having FM, CMFS, and also being very prone to bad bronchitis attacks, pneumonia , and hi b/p and such I am really undecided at this point. For those reasons I supposedly should take it but who knows if it would cause any more problems along with my other medical issues.

This is everyone's choice for sure. Those of you who had had bad reactions and cannot take the regular flu shot probably do not have aproblem just saying no, not for me !

I know enough people who are going to refuse it for many different reasons but most of them are pretty healthy and do not have any special health concerns either.

I think my DH has decided he is going to take it but he has few medical problems and rarely gets a cold or anything.

Just curious what you all are thinking about this. Remember, that there is NO right answer to this question, I am pretty sure. We are all really different people with different problems.

I was just thinkin - - -

Hugs to everydobby,
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I can't take vaccinations of any kind, cuz of my autoimmune disease.

Triggering an immune system response is very dangerous for me, as it can cause my body to attack itself.

If I had the option, though, I don't think I'd take the H1N1.
    Just today, on the tv news, a doctor assured everyone the vaccine is perfectly safe.
    The reporter said: So you are assuring us, the vaccine can't hurt us?
    The doc replied: "Well, I can't promise it won't hurt some people, but in general....."

It's the double-speak, that concerns me.

"Sure, it's absolutely safe!"
    "Is that a promise?"
    "Absolutely NOT!"

Hmmm..... Just a bit too iffy for me.

None of my relatives are getting it.

3. Granniluvsu

Thank to all who have anaswered so far.

I also try andkeep my immune system high with Grapeseed Ext. and Vit C but who is to know if that will be enough.

Linda - I too have been investigating and found the same as you. If I could take the pneumonia shot I would but I had a bad enough pain reaction to that one, infecting lynp nodes I am guessing underneath the arms and such. I also do lots of hand washing and try to eat as healthy as I can.

Yes, they say it is SUPPOSED to be safe, and similar to the reg. flu shots, but since it is new and being given to such a large group of people what does anyone really know.

Glad to see that I am not the only one is a quandry, Linda. A friend of mine whose sister is a nurse says that many of the people working at their hospital are refusing to take it as they are worried aboaut the possibility of it being linked to the Guille Barre Synbdrome. I THINK however, that they had this problem with the vaccines prevciously used (in the 70's, I think). However, now I understand if this is correct that the vaccine now baeing used is not being made like the old one.

If anyone else has something to add, I would love to hear from you, and others to would I am sure.

If I couldn't take it then I just wouldn't take it for sure. If there is anyone else who plans on taking it and has FM, CMPS and tends to get the respiratory illnesses easily. I would love to hear from you too.

4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Make sure also that you are taking plenty of Vitamin D3. (See vitamindcouncil.org for loads of information.) Vitamin D3 keeps the immune system healthy. It's important to know what your Vit. D level is because many people have a deficiency. Vitamin D3 is best absorbed by the body (as opposed to regular Vitamin D). Just thought I'd add that on in addition to the Vit. C and grapeseed oil.

Best of luck in your decision!! It's definitely not an easy one. I'm trying to decide if I should get the regular flu shot this year. Be well and have a great day.

Warm hugs,

5. Granniluvsu

I am already taking quite a lot of D3 especially due to my osteoporosis. However, I know it is good for lots of things.

Have you ever taken the flu shot? If you have taken it before with no o rlittle problems and you have problems with bronchitis and other resp. infections, I think it would be worth it to take. It has helped me A-LOT ! I used to get infections almost every year but now it is less often with the flu shots and not as bad as I used to get it. It helped me even before I started with the Grapeseed Ext., that I started a year or so ago. I think that has been helpful also.

Bye for now.

6. Granniluvsu

The first and last time I will take the pneumonia shot was probabaly about 10 + years ago. I wish I didn't hurt so much after that shot. If I didnt I would go and get another one. I have nuver hurt so much after that shot - underarms (esp on the side of the inj.) and that arm. I am guessing my lymph nodes swelled up.

I will go read your info.

Thanks again.

7. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I had my pneumonia shot 5 years ago so I am okay with that. I get the seasonal flu shot every year. This year was the only time I got symptoms from the seasonal flu shot and the symptom was headaches for a few days. On the TV news they said this was one symptom you could get from the seasonal flu shot.
    Now on the TV news they are saying our state is getting hit with H1N1 and the flu shots have arrived but are for health workers only. The next batch will be for children and pregnant women, and the next batch won't be due in until the end of November or into December.

I have lupus and and IBS-D, back problems, etc. so I get flu shots as I don't want to suffer with any type of flu. Vomiting really hurts my back, and I used to go down really hard with flu before I started getting the seasonal flu shots. I haven't had flu since I started getting the seasonal flu shots.

[This Message was Edited on 10/09/2009]
  8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I will be getting my seasonal flu shot tomorrow. Dr. usually waits until Nov. to give them but guess this yr. it is earlier. Yes, I have had 2 pneumonia shots over the years. No trouble.

I have never had a problems with the flu shots. I think that i am probably too old for the H1N1 shot. They feel we have an immunity to most thiongs.

But last yr, when DH was in the NH, I got the flu! Never had it before and it was awful. He had it out there and I had it at home. Even was too sick one afternioon to even take my shoes off to get in bed. Lasted about 4 days.

Are any of you over 60? They suggest that all of you over 60 get a shingles shot. It will prevent them if you have had chicken pox - that virus still lives in your systems and can reoccur. It can be deadly to any of us. Had it about 2 yrs. ago and no reaction.

I worry most about my 3 great-grandchildren, 4, 2, and 9 mon. That is the age and older that it is hitting.
  9. Granniluvsu

Gee, if I do not hae a fever or digestiive symptoms I might not know I have it since I have muscle aches and pains all the time.

I didn't even know they had a Shingles shot. Well, I guesss I hae heard of it but that is all. Don't know anyone who has taken it at all. I know my dad when he was alive had the Shingles and it was really bad as well as some other people I know It was not fun for sure.

Thanks for popping in Joan and 2 Cats as well as everydobby else.

I'm still thinking about whether to to take it or notl. I sent a note to my doctor and wil see what she thinks. Not sure when she is going to get it at her offic.e They are already out of the seasonal flu shots but we have already gotten our someplace else. I am glad that I can at least take it (the seasonal flu shot).

Hugs to awl,