H1N1 Vaccine Approved today!!!!

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by gapsych, Sep 22, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

It should be available for those who choose to take it, as soon as next week for people in the at risk group. :)

gap
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

If you are going to have surgery or outpatient surgery, make sure your doctor knows this and calculates that it is okay to have the H1N1 shot on that date (so many days before surgery).

When I had my regular seasonal flu shot, my outpatient eye surgery was in 10 days. The nurse had to go see my primary care doctor (or family care doctor as some say) and get an okay from him to do the shot within 10 days of surgery. It was okay for me with my surgery, but may not be okay if I had come too close to the surgery date.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for this information. I had not heard of this.

gap
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I had never thought of a seasonal flu shot having any impact on surgery/outpatient surgery, but apparently some people may get some symptoms or feel a bit run down after a flu shot. I get the seasonal flu shot every year without symptoms and this year I was with headaches (not migraines) for a few days afterwards and couldn't figure it out. Then I heard on our local news it was one of the potential symptoms you might experience.

But it won't stop me from getting them again next year. I'm someone with a broken bone in the back that never healed, I've got lupus, etc. and the last thing I want is flu and so far the flu shots every year have saved me from getting it.