H1N1 vaccine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hawkeye, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I am a x-ray tech who works in a very busy family practice clinic so when the H1N1 vaccine became available for us I went ahead and got the shot I get the seasonal flu shot every year with no problems. Well I got the shot last Friday and today is day 6 and I am in quite possibly the worst flare I have every experienced in my entire life. Has anyone else experienced this? I hate to think it was that shot but it is the only thing different and I have never felt this rough before. I can not even bend my fingers, the pain is unrelenting in all of my joints every single one of them. I am starting a prednisone dose pack tomorrow hopefully that will give me some relief......any ideas??

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Thanks....I wish I would have read up on this before I got it.
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

One of the reasons why I don't get flu vacc is that they cause me to flare for extended periods of time. This even occurred when I was a child -- before I ever had a fibro dx -- I'm 55 yo.

I have autoimmune dx beyond fibro & I think that the ajuvant, as well as the antigens in the vaccs cause my immune system to go into hyperdrive, which in turn causes me to flare.

Get extra rest ... take care. I hope the pred does the trick for you.
  4. spacee

spacee Member

I have read Dr. Cheney's site where he says that he has never had a patient get terribly sick or die from the flu. He thinks it is from the upregulated immune system. (By terribly sick, I think he means have to be hospitalized.

And he says that he has had patients have flares that can last days or months from the vaccines.

Now, H1N1 is something like we have not experienced so that would be a tough call to make as to have one or not. I was born in 1949 and on the news, it was reported that anyone born before 1950 doesn't need the vaccine. We have had immunity to some type of flu before 1950 that resembles the H1N1...now that is if you trust ABC news.

Yes, I am hoping the pred. does the trick too. Bless your heart.

5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

My husband had a reaction and felt terrible. It only lasted a day but he does not have fibro either. I chose to pass on the vacinnation as I have a Epstein Barr of 8,000 (norm is below 90) Even my doctor was not pushing the shot for me.

I hope you feel better. I am curious, are you taking prednisone for fibromyalgia or arthritis? I asked for prednisone before when I had terrible flares and could not get it.

Take care and I hope you feel better.
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I just heard a very interesting commentary on NPR this week about the incidence of RA after vaccinations - in addition to other immune diseases. It seems like a risk definitely but I know some people must get the shots.
  7. rickj44

rickj44 Member

do you normally take prednisone, when you have a flare and how long and what dosage do you take.
    I was on it about a week and felt better, but my doctor will not leave me on it.

8. simonedb

simonedb Member

what is it about being born before '50 that helps immunity? interesting, I read a news article couple years ago that said people born after '69 have in general less hearty immune systems, dont know why, they didnt elaborate. wonder if its something to do with world being more toxic. related to weston price's theories on nutrition etc maybe...?
  9. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

What I heard about the group who is immune was for people born on or before 1957 because there was a flu going around until then that was very similar to this H1N1. People born after than never got exposed and so they are vulnerable to this H1N1 today.

Sorry to hear of your feeling awful [possibly bad reaction to the flu shot] Hawkeye - are you hearing about many others with what may be bad reactions?
  10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Just thought I would give you all an update on my life since the flu shot. I did get the prednisone for the fibro symptoms. I did get a relief right away but I hated the way it made me feel...like I was crawling out of my skin, very uneasy in a way like I could not gather my thoughts and that is on top of fog. I told my boyfriend to please not allow me to cave in and take that anymore unless I have something important like travel that I need pain relief for.
    The crazy thing is now I have strep throat, I have never had strep throat in my life. I work in a DR's office taking x-rays and doing lab so I have been exposed to it thousands of times I am sure. I am thinking that my immune system is shot so I have been online trying to get some more tips on boosting that back up.

11. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Have you thought of the supplement Epicor to build up your immune system? I tried that the winter before last.

I can understand why you got the H1N1 flu shot. If I was still working in a hospital setting I would seriously consider it. But with my immune system compromised by Lyme Borreliosis I don't think I could survive a flu shot. Like many others, I haven't had a cold or the flu in over 10 years. Got to love those cytokines -- NOT!
  12. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Hang in there! It's possible that your strep came about in part because you are on the pred. Everytime I get more than a smidge of cortisone, I end up with some sort of infections. The same cortisone that is helping your fibro pain is likely making other aspects of your immune system less competent.

You''ll probably need some antibiotics & lots of extra rest ...

Take care.
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I'm getting the H1N1 shot and the flu shot next week. Around here they are recommending anyone under the age of 55 get the H1N1 shot.
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

He's a congressman and was an OB/GYN. He said in his latest video post (http://www.campaignforliberty.com/ )
    that last spring alone (Jan-April), 13,000 died from the 'regular' flu...

and from Jan 1 to date about 1,000 have died from H1N1.

I find that rather stunning.

If you do watch it, he says that so far Obama's kids hadn't had it. But the White House the next day after the video was made said they had been vaccinated last week, after a confirmed case at their school. Seems rather late to me for them to be getting it. Obama and wife are not getting it until the 'needy' groups get it first. Seems to me the person who is considered 'the most important person in the world' by many should be vaccinated?

Paul also says he feels there's too many vaccines... altho he's in favor of many, just not all of them. I think I agree with him and other medical personnel I've heard/read...

Some else said that those under 18 are the ones who should get it first. It just gets more confusing...

good luck, hope those who get it fare well, and hope you, Hawkeye, get better quickly and don't get any bad side effects.

all the best,

15. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

If I can, I will get both at the same time. Originally they were talking about delaying the regular flu shot until January, then a week later they were recommending getting both at the same time. I am definitely getting the H1N1 next Wednesday, and if my doctor agrees, then I will get the other shot at the same time as the medical centre I go to has them in now.

I'm not against flu shots. Some studies have shown that older adults who regularily got the flu shots tend to live healther into their 80's and 90's. That's my goal. I want to hit 100 feisty and still physically active - LOL.
  16. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

I'm having both vaccinations (seasonal flu & Swine flu) at the same time as well. I've checked with a research doctor and he reckons it is ok tohave them both at the same time.

It's better to be vaccinated and have antibodies against flu than to catch any type of flu. Swine flu in particular is devastating and/or fatal for some people. There are special units in the UK that have saved the lives of a number of people. One person stopped breathing 7 times but they managed to resuscitate him each time and he pulled through. He didn't know anything about it for 4 weeks, that's how long he was in the special unit before he regained consiouness. Alas some don't make it.