H20 for highBP cholest.,weight loss,diabetes,ulcers,asthma, more

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've just finished reading “Your Body’s Many Cries for Water” by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D. My sister recommended it after seeing a flyer about it. It gets rather technical in parts, but that’s what I found fascinating, the explanations of why we need to drink so much water.

You’ve all heard - drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Dr. B explains in great detail why this is not just a nice-sounding idea. And actually, it’s more like drink enough ounces of water to equal one-half of the number of pounds you weight with 1/2 tsp. of salt. e.g., if you weigh 150 lbs. then drink 75 oz. of water a day. I always thought I drank enough water, I don’t drink soda, and only one cup of coffee a day. But I don’t think I have been drinking enough.

Also, he stressed that your body can’t rehydrate over night. It will take time to build up water stores. He says to add water (and salt) gradually to make sure your kidneys can process it properly.

Here are some of the high points I gleaned but the list is by no means complete. There is so much in the book and it’s difficult to distill it properly, so please excuse any lack of clarity or confusion - instead, get the book. He also has a newer book out, which is supposed to be updated, which I saw on Amazon.

1. Thirst and hunger signals can be confused in the body. Oftentimes when you feel hungry, you actually need water. Dr. B says that if a person waits until they have a dry mouth before drinking, they are very dehydrated.

2. Water and sugar are two sources of energy for the brain and the brain needs a tremendous amount of energy. Water provides a form of “hydroelectric” energy. So to drink water when needed, instead of eating (if your body’s signals are confused) can actually provide energy, not just make you feel full.

3. Drink 1 glass of water 1/2 hour before meals, and 1 glass 2-1/2 hours after meals, and 2 glasses before large meals. Add more if needed. Sodas, coffee and tea don’t count, and caffeine-containing beverages just exacerbate dehydration problems. Diet sodas are one of the worst things you can drink.

4. Water and diabetes: two of the main functions of the pancreas are to produce insulin and to produce a watery bicarbonate solution for digestive purposes. Insulin as we all know plays a role in blood sugar regulation. The watery bicarbonate solution dilutes acid from the stomach as food passes from the stomach during digestion. If a person is dehydrated, the pancreas has to choose between making insulin or helping digestion. It chooses digestion as being more important and thus interrupts insulin production, leading to high blood sugar.

5. High blood pressure: If blood volume is low due to dehydration, the circulatory pressure will have to increase in order to transport water into the cells. (this also made me wonder about low blood volume and CFIDS, how they often go hand-in-hand)

6. Allergies and asthma: histamine is involved in water regulation in the body. With dehydration, histamine levels increase, contributing to allergies and asthma. He cites many cases of asthma clearing up by adding more water with salt. The lungs have to stay hydrated, and if the body does not have enough water, mucous will form in the lungs in order to keep them moist. Salt is needed to break up mucus.

7. Cholesterol: He says that cholesterol is used as sort of a patch by the cells when dehydrated, trying to keep water in or out. I know this is a terrible explanation and you’d have to read the book to get more. But supposedly cholesterol levels will go down if one drinks enough water.

8. Weight loss: Again, if one eats when they actually need water, they will have trouble with their weight. I’ve just started drinking more water yesterday and today and found that my cravings for food have decreased. I never knew before that water was a source of fuel for the brain.

9. Peptic ulcers: He says that water will help with peptic ulcers. If you’re having pain, drink water and it’s supposed to help the ulcers heal. Again, you’d have to read the book for more info.

10. Migraines - I don’t remember explanation for this, but water is supposed to help with migraines also.

11. Skin (Last but certainly not least!): He had one line in the book, almost a throwaway line, but it resonated. If you’re dehydrated, your body has to make choices about what organs and systems get the available water. Obviously the brain and the heart are the most important. Anyways, the throwaway line said basically that if you have enough water, then your body will allow water to go to the skin to replace water lost in evaporation. But it sounded like the skin may be one of the first organs to show/feel the effects of dehydration.

So I’m going to give this a try. I’ve had trouble losing weight because I can’t exercise, and I’m very careful about my diet. Also, maybe this will help with the methylation cycle program detox symptoms, flushing more toxins out of my body. And I’m hoping it gives my immune system a boost too which it sorely needs.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Have you tried a Britta water pitcher with filter? That's what I use and I think it works quite well and is also very inexpensive. A filter costs around $6 and lasts 2 months.

What is a water "energy spin"?

Also, am not suprised at all that this is one of your favorite books. I thought of you and your problems with blood pressure. Have you tried drinking all the water Dr. B recommends?

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Sorry to hear that about Brita and fluoride! Grrr.....

Iodine is supposed to help detox fluoride.

Why do things have to be so difficult ---

I saw a segment on Stephen Colbert some months back about an invention that made clean drinkable water out of any water, no matter how filthy or polluted. It was a portable machine designed for use in 3rd world countries lacking potable water. Cannot remember the inventor's name, but they showed a demonstration on Colbert - it was fascinating. (I love Stephen Colbert - I think he's the best thing on TV nowadays)

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

bump ....