Hack, Choke,** Red Tide,** Achoooo!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been feeling crappy and wondering whether I needed to go back on my antibiotics. My lymph nodes have been swollen, I've had a sore throat, a sinus headache, and I've been hacking and sneezing. Well, it turns out that the Red Tide has been raging in the Gulf and killing fish and making people sick.

Red Tide happens when red algae blooms rise to the top of the water, dry, and are carried onshone on the wind. These blooms also make fish toxic to eat and kill off a lot of sea life. The stench at the shore from dying fish is horrible.

I don't think it's safe to be eating Gulf water seafood right now.

Love, Mikie

2. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I am sorry that you are not feeling well. I hope that you do soon. That is really something about the red tide. Is there anything that can be done about it or not?
    A big soft hug to you and i hope you start feeling better soon.
    Love,
    Joannie
  3. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I am sorry you are feeling like that! But, I am also glad that you know what you are fighting against. There is just nothing like the smell of dead and rotting fish..is there?

Find a close pin for that nose girl, and we will hope that this too shall pass!! thinkin of ya..Sherry
  4. little

little Member

When I lived in St. Pete I couldn't go to the beach. I couldn't breath, if I did go I would cough all the time. It took me a couple of years to find out about the Red Tide. I would stay away from the beach when it was windy. I thought that it was something it the air. I didn't know about the Red Tide. I sure miss going to the beach almost every day. I'm going in July, I hope that the Red Tide isn't there then. Gail
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I usually don't go to the beach anyway at this time of year. Too many tourists and the water is cold. I sometimes go early in the morning to walk, though. I live far enough away so that I don't smell the dead fish, but not far enough away so that the Red Tide doesn't get me. It can travel on the wind for miles.

Red Tide isn't an ongoing problem. It just happens every once in a while when this algae blooms excessively. Normally, I love the breeze coming in off the water. I am considering moving to the Atlantic side and further North. I'm taking a road trip in May to check it out. I love it here, so who knows what I'll end up doing.

I did want to post on the seafood, though. I'm not sure Gulf water seafood is really safe to eat in the best of times. We recently were told not to eat it as it's extremely high in mercury too.

Love, Mikie
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am so sorry. I know how annoying Red Tide is. I am not bothered by it unless I go to the beach while it's going on. I live only 10 mins. from Clearwater Beach, and only 3 blocks from the Intercoastal, so I am very glad it does not get to me unless I am there. It is such an awful feeling....that constant need to cough and the scratched feeling all over your throat and sinuses....look at it this way....at least we are not the poor fish!
    Hugs,
    Klutzo
  7. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

I have never heard of that. How often does this happen? I wonder what is really causing people to be sick flying? What are they being exposed to??????? Off the subject!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It doesn't happen on a regular basis, so there doesn't seem to be any patterns or season for it. Also, it can be fairly localized, killing fish on one beach and leaving the next one relatively clear.

A while back, there was a huge black patch which showed up in the water offshore in aerial photos. No one has ever been able to find out what it was.

Love, Mikie
  9. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

Thats down right strange. No one can figure it out?? Just cant imagine that. Lots of strange things happening any more.

[ advertisement ]