Had a breakdown a walmart tonite!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poodlegirl, Oct 20, 2002.

1. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Me and my husband went to walmart this evening. I had told him I needed to get out I have been feeling very blue today. So we went to the mall and walmart. It is very rainy and cold and dismal outside which does not help the moods, but we went. Ran into an old highschool friend who I have not seen in probably 3 years. Anyway she asked how I was and you know the normal answer would be fine, you? Well I could not even get it out of my mouth and here came the tears! The more I tried to explain, that I was sorry for breakin' down the more I wanted to just bawl! I told her I had been sick, depressed, and that the more I try to talk the worse it gets. She understood somewhat without going into any details with her as she lost a baby several years ago. She knows about depression and such. We exchanged #s and hugged and are going to meet for lunch one day. They walked off and I still could not get the tears under control. My husband is patting my back and trying to comfort me, I am apologizing for doing this, and feel real embarrassed and ready to check into a mental hospital! I hate this!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Me and my husband went to walmart this evening. I had told him I needed to get out I have been feeling very blue today. So we went to the mall and walmart. It is very rainy and cold and dismal outside which does not help the moods, but we went. Ran into an old highschool friend who I have not seen in probably 3 years. Anyway she asked how I was and you know the normal answer would be fine, you? Well I could not even get it out of my mouth and here came the tears! The more I tried to explain, that I was sorry for breakin' down the more I wanted to just bawl! I told her I had been sick, depressed, and that the more I try to talk the worse it gets. She understood somewhat without going into any details with her as she lost a baby several years ago. She knows about depression and such. We exchanged #s and hugged and are going to meet for lunch one day. They walked off and I still could not get the tears under control. My husband is patting my back and trying to comfort me, I am apologizing for doing this, and feel real embarrassed and ready to check into a mental hospital! I hate this!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. marinemom

marinemom New Member

I, too, have been going through that. My mistake was taking it out on the wonderful people at this site!

It just feels like I have no more control over myself!

I'll tie an extra knot in the end of my rope, if you want to join me in hanging in there!

Kathy
  4. tes

tes New Member

I feel the exact same way. I feel I can no longer cope with life. I break down easier, my flares are lasting longer and longer and I freak out on the people who love me dearly and feel HORRIBLE about that. I'm always fighting with my husband (he is always there for me no matter what), my parents and my children. When is this going to end. I feel like I always have to put on an act in front of other people because they just don't understand. I could be in so much pain and I act like I'm not(that is so hard to do).
    I know alot of you are like that and it's tough.
    God bless you all
    Tes
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

Unfortunately what you are going through is part of the messed up hormones so many of us have to deal with. I find when I can get regular rest every day I do better.

That being said, I felt lousy tonight and instead of doing some things I really need to finish I put them on hold, called my kids and came on the computer. I'll get back to the other tomorrow morning when I'm feeling more alert. I'll do a better job then too.

Hang in there and try to plan some rest into your days as well as something nice for yourself, like a bubble bath, or a manicure, or something else that will make you feel special. You are worth it!

Barbara

6. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Poodlegirl, Dont feel bad about breaking down, Waalmart was a great place to do it! Dont they have everything ? Now they have one of us too :)
    I hope that made you smile. All I can say at this point is you are not alone, lately I have fallen into the bushes outside my house, in front of the IHOP Pancake house (what a place to fall that is!) I lost my father a few weeks ago and I have bronchitis too :( My breakdown happened at home, sometimes maybe we just need to cry.
    This whole month has been a nightmare I wont bore you with all of them. But I do know one thing, we all need to be kind to ourselves. This is a terrible disease and it takes away so much of us when it hits. When you feel bad, cry, you deserve it!
    Please take this ((((((((((((hug))))))))) know you are not alone and be kind to yourself :)
    Denise
  7. PAT

PAT New Member

I think it happens to the best of us! Let me share an email funny I got from a friend today.
    Milly & Grace, two elderly friends, were out for a drive in a very large old car. When they came to an intersection,Grace thought she noticed the car went straight through a red light. She got lost in the scenery for a while, and once again, through an intersection, thought to herself that they went through another red light. To be sure, she paid attention, and sure enough at the next red light the car sailed right through!
    Grace said to Milly, "Honey did you know you just drove right through three red lights?"
    Milly said, "Oh, shoot! Am I driving?"

Patti G
  8. PMangels

PMangels New Member

I've had down days a couple times myself through out my life. I still have a day now and then. I'm glad we all can come here and find people who can understand and comfort us. Some have no other place to go for support. It's not easy to live with all the symtoms of this DD but by the grace of God we'll make it....just keep on keeping on...you'll make it.

Love and gentle (((hugs)))
    Arlene
  9. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

sounds like you and your old friend might be able to talk to and support eachother. If you said you were doing fine you may have just went your seperate ways. I only have one friend who is interested in hearing about my problems and trying to understand me - she means more to me right now than the rest of my friends put together.AMY
  10. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

At least you picked a good place for your incident. Walmart likes their reputation of being a friendly place. They hire a lot of retired people, so I would guess they have incidents every once in awhile. Don't get yourself in an uproar about it. Things like this happen to everyone - not just us. Your friends will understand, and who cares about the others? When you're feeling better, I'd like to pick your brain about a problem that has recently developed with my schnauzer. They are a second cousin to a poodle. My email is kgb2@centurytel.net.
    Take care of yourself,
    Kathryn
  11. Dots

Dots New Member

Poodlegirl, I have been in your shoes a few times in my life.But its giid yoou had your friend there,better to have her and be by your self. And I think that there are a lot of others wwho have this happen. hope you will soon be feel better sending a prrayer up for you.God bless.Any time you need a shoulder to lean on Im here for you. Dot
  12. rbtheidmanhabs

rbtheidmanhabs New Member

Poodle Girl!
    Don't feel bad about breaking down.If people don't understand well that's really toooooo bad!

Bob
  13. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Can I ever relate to you~! I came up with some cock-eyed notion while still a teen, that crying or just tears silently falling from your eyes were some kind of defect, of "something" beyond the physical was wrong with you.

Then I began to educate myself and learned how wonderful a gift it is to cry,the hormones, enzymes et al that can be released from crying help us to grow, release substances that contribute to our depressions.

Often crying and in public I may add, help the psychiatrist, if you have one, assess your level of depression. I have hit the tear buttom a few time myself, usually because some country music tear-jerker was on.

This is a wonderful opportunity for you and your husband to grow as you share with him the world in which you currently live. Love CactusLil'

14. aliceann

aliceann New Member

Hi poodlegirl,
    Like teach6 says...messed up hormones could be doing it. I am down to crying only one day a month now. Progesterone cream really helped that one. Plus a little SAMe right at the bottom of my cycle. (And yes, you still have cycles even at 64)

The best to you,
    Aliceann
  15. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I really appreciate each and everyone of your replies. I must say I smiled at all of them and it did help knowing that you have the same feelings I have (about the crying)and breaking down. Thanks so much, you guys are in my thoughts and prayers!
  16. Fibrobeachbum

Fibrobeachbum New Member

I know how you feel, your hurting, wishing you could do things others do and you just do not have any energy. I watched a movie last night about this woman dying with cancer and thinking about myself and the pain I go thru and I kept on and on. Daughter said she was crying too because she is only 14 will be 15 in December and has this DD. We see how my mother went thru this and all depressed. It seems it can strike at any time. Here is a great big hug for you.
    Ann
  17. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Heartfelt hugs to you. I feel like I've retreated away from friends cuz I can't even begin to explain all the crap. How do you start talking about the spiral of pain? And once you've started talking, how do you stop? On the other hand, you don't know how bottled up your friend might have been about the loss of her daughter. Talking with you & allowing emotions to flow may have been cathartic for her, too. I'm glad you shared phone #s!

Going to a Walmart would send me into a breakdown! All the smells, humming sounds from flourescent lights that are way too bright, & false happiness from people barely making minimum wage & no real benefits would send me over the edge!

Shopping on the internet is so much less upsetting. No, it doesn't get you out in public, but for escapes I find libraries much more inviting & less upsetting. It's a good place for people watching & there's always a comfortable chair & a good book waiting to be read.

best thoughts to all.
  18. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hay, don't feel bad, I have had a few incidents in Wal-Mart, not crying, just had some crazy feelings, like I was going to die, I have had to leave a cart full of purchases in that wretched store! I agree with 'Ephemera', its a lousy over sized warehouse and no place for Fibromites or CFS people. The lights make me sick, the crowds are unbearable, and its just too darn big to shop in, period!

I avoid it like the plague. A lot of people get emotional in that store, its like it brings out the worst in most people.

I have one friend that does not have FM, but understands my sickness, and she does not have it. But is very understanding of me.

You take care, and no, you don't need to 'check' yourself into a mental hospital! We are truly sick, not a mental case.

I hope you and your friend can confort one another, we need all the support we can get.

Shalom, Shirl
  19. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Patti,

I have heard that joke before. Sounds like me with fibro fog. Anyway, I once again got a laugh out of it. Thanks!
  20. pam_d

pam_d New Member

... I too feel like I cry at the drop of a hat, I think we probably all do! To echo others, how fortunate that in the midst of a crowded Walmart, you found an old friend and one who understands! Follow through w/ the phone number tho, and do keep in touch! Hard to find friends who have also gone thru life experiences that give them the unique perspective to really empathise. We all have had the "friends" who just don't get it. Hopefully the tears were a good release too, & you'll feel a bit better.

Many hugs,
    Pam