Had a busy day Sat. and I'm just feeling better today!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by diricha, Oct 6, 2002.

1. diricha

diricha New Member

Saturday I went to the grocery, went and colored a friend's hair (she did mine, too), then I went shopping (at the same store) for two hours. I had to stop and sit in the shoe department a couple of times due to severe lower back and leg pain. Thank goodness they had a place to sit. When I got home I could barely walk and felt like I had run a marathon. Yesterday I was sore and achy all over.

I'm new to this illness (FM) and I'm having a hard time with all the things I can't do anymore. I used to be able to shop all day. Now after two hours, I'm exhausted. I want to take my kids to the zoo. We haven't been at all this year. We even have year-long passes. But the thought of walking the zoo is too much. I'm just feeling sorry for myself, and I miss the person I was about 9 or 10 months ago. I know you all understand, so I thought I'd vent here.

Take care.
  2. diricha

diricha New Member

Saturday I went to the grocery, went and colored a friend's hair (she did mine, too), then I went shopping (at the same store) for two hours. I had to stop and sit in the shoe department a couple of times due to severe lower back and leg pain. Thank goodness they had a place to sit. When I got home I could barely walk and felt like I had run a marathon. Yesterday I was sore and achy all over.

I'm new to this illness (FM) and I'm having a hard time with all the things I can't do anymore. I used to be able to shop all day. Now after two hours, I'm exhausted. I want to take my kids to the zoo. We haven't been at all this year. We even have year-long passes. But the thought of walking the zoo is too much. I'm just feeling sorry for myself, and I miss the person I was about 9 or 10 months ago. I know you all understand, so I thought I'd vent here.

Take care.
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi:

I was just diagnosed with FMS in June and endometriosis in July 2000. I am trying to adjust to the fact that I can't do everything that I used to do, and like you, I miss the old person I was.

I have always been a very active person-definitely not a couch potato so this diagnosis has been a difficult one for me to accept. I know that when I do too much, I always pay for it. My husband and I are going on vacation next week and I know that I have to be careful not to overdue so I can enjoy the trip. We will be going through the Ozark Mountains, but I know that hiking in mountains is no longer something I can do. But I tell myself that sometimes you have to make adjustments-like I can still take walks, but on level ground and there are other things I can do that I will enjoy but won't be hard on my body.

Anyway, feel free to vent. We all need to do that sometimes. I find that since I found this board several weeks ago, I am able to cope better now than I did. I also found a support group five minutes from my home that meets every month, which has been great, too.

Welcome to the board!

Ellen

4. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

is putting it mildly. There are days when I do way to much too. I am very lucky to have a husband who is at least trying to understand FMS. When we are planning a busy day, he will tell me, "Honey that's a lot. Can we break up the list into two lists. We can do some today, and some another if we have to.". When I do make lists of things to do, now there are usually, 3 lists. 1. If we don't get this stuff done, all hell's gonna break loose, list.
    2. These are things I'd LIKE to do, but are not of an urgent nature, list.
    3. These are things hubby can do for me without my help list.

It is so important to learn to prioritize, and I believe this is an ongoing educational process. It is also for the best if you have a family, or friends who are helpful, to delegate the to-do's. Next time anybody asks you, "Is there anything I can do to help?", look at your list, decide which item really will not explode simply because you are not doing it, and give them a task. Not only can you scratch it off the list, but you won't feel like you are getting behind. It has been my experience that people are not asking to do stuff for you for the sake of hearing themselves talk. When they ask, they are hoping to help you out.

I used to feel like it was weak to take help from people, but now I realize it is weak to NOT take help. When I do too much, I will end up hurting, and then I have only myself to blame when I flare up because of it. This is about taking CONTROL of your life in ways that may seem unconventional.

Beating oursleves up is not the solution. Finding kinder, gentler ways is not easy, but well worth it.[This Message was Edited on 10/07/2002]