Had a flu shot-here we go again!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovethesun, Nov 10, 2005.

1. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I'm in for 3 days in bed(or close to bed)Has anybody ever had the flu with fibro ?Is the flu shot worth It? Linda
  2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I never get the flu shot. It was definitely one of the triggers which set off my CFS. I'm afraid I would become more sick with the shot than I would with the flu. Marie
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I am down from it(or any shot such as pneumonia etc)
  4. Gernmeinschatz

Gernmeinschatz New Member

OK, now that makes more sense - I just had the shot on Tuesday, and have been worse than usual. Just didn't make the connection - haven't been able to go to class for three days.

This board is very helpful. I'm glad I found it.
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I just had my flu shot yesterday. Within two hours, the muscles in my arms, legs, well....just everywhere, started to go crazy. Thank God I get three days off this weekend.

What a rough night. From what I've read, it's fairly common for FMS sufferers to have a 3 day ride after the shot.

Hope you (and I) feel better soon.

Regards,

Eileen
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Take grapeseed extract at night before bed...it boosts your immune so you hopefully don't get the flu. It's worth a try- now don't come after me if you get the flu......LOL
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I never take the shots as they make me sick. I was no sicker than a healthy person would have been and it didn't last any longer than others who got the flu. The strain which made us sick last year wasn't covered in the shot. The WHO misguessed which strains would cause problems so even some of those who got the shot got sick. Taking the flu shots is a crap shoot based on guessing.

I not only have FMS but also CFIDS.

Love, Mikie
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

The few times in my life that I've had the flu it knocked me down for 2 weeks.I guess it's a crapshoot
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2005]
  9. patches25

patches25 New Member

My sister-in-law's arm swelled so badly and she was so sick that she ended up in intensive care for a couple of days and another couple of days in hosptial. She is home now but has a residual enlarged heart. She almost died. She has Cfs too. E
  10. Bambi

Bambi New Member

thought caused that huge reaction? We had our shots about two or three weeks ago and my daughter over a month ago. No reactions here that I can pin on the shot. The nurse did say to move the arm around a lot to keep from getting a sore muscle which we did.

I think I posted on here that I'd heard so many wierd things were in the vaccine that I wrote to the FDA and asked about just the Mercury and the Formaldehyde. I didn't really expect an answer but got one promptly. They said YES and said the Mercury part had been vigourously tested, but nothing about the other. I didn't ask about the aluminum or
    Anti freeze I also heard were in there but it wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe it's something like that that your..oh good grief..fog..sister? reacted to? I'd surely put in an incident report with the FDA. They say to report reactions to any drugs etc, so I guess that would also mean vaccines.

I haven't heard of anyone else I know with FM/CFS that's had any major problems but there's lots of us out there we don't hear from or know.
  11. earn

earn New Member

I take the flu shot every year--and took one Monday of this week. I have never had any problems. My neck seems a little more stiff --but it does that sometime any way. I just don`t want to take a chance of taking the flu on top of all this other---Laverne
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is critical to get to the doc ASAP and start an antiviral. If there is bronchial involvement or one is prone to bronchitis, the doc can prescribe an inhaler and an ABX if there is a secondary bacterial infection.

Right now, I have picked up some kind of virus and I am on Famvir and Doxycycline. I woke up with a fever and swollen lymph nodes, so I think the ABX is warranted. I am prone to bronichitis, asthma, and pneumonia if I get sick.

I have Rx's for both the ABX and the antiviral because once I get sick, it is hard for me to come back. Last year when I had the flu, I saw my doc the very day it came on and he had me on ABX, an antiviral, and an inhaler. My lungs were already starting to fill up with fluid. Had I not been treated early on, I would likely not have gotten well as fast as I did.

Whether to get a flu shot or not is an individual decision. Some swear by them and others are made sick by them. Even taking allergy shots carries risk. A woman I knew in CO died after having her usual allergy shot. She didn't stay in the doc's office for the required 15 mins. following the shot. She dropped dead getting into her car.

Love, Mikie
  13. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I always get sick from flu shots, and I always think I'm crazy. Then I mentioned that I might have gotten sick from the Hep. B vaccine to the doctor the other day...and he was the one that told me that I probably also get sick from flu shots. Right then and there I knew I loved him. Well, not really, but you know what I mean.
  14. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Since I stopped getting the flu shot I rarely get the flu anymore. Even recently when my husband and son had colds/coughs, I was careful about washing my hands and didn't get it.

I just feel that I do better without the flu shot.

Times I have gotten the flu when I had FMS, it was during the summer and I had the vomiting and diarrhea type.

Haven't been sick with the flu in years though or a cold. Knock on wood...

Hugs,
    Faye
    Sorry you all were sick after getting the shot. Hope you'll feel better soon. :)[This Message was Edited on 11/11/2005]
  15. patches25

patches25 New Member

The doctor, who first saw my SIL after her arm swelled so badly, blew it off and said that 70% of people are reacting this year. So SIL waited 2 more days throwing up, bathroom trots, very ill, and then my brother took her to hospital. She was immediately put into intensive care. The inflammation got so severe it went to other parts of her body than just her arm. I don't know much more details except she is home now and getting around a little. E.
  16. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Thank you so much for responding.Mikie....thank you for the heads up on the bronchial aspect of this flu!Linda
  17. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I have never had a bad reaction or had the flu from the shot, and I've never seen anyone have a reaction after having the flu shot.

One thing to know, if a person gets the flu within a week of getting the shot, that person was probably exposed to a virus before getting the shot.

Also, if you have the shot, it doesn't protect you from all viral flu strains, only the worse three that are expected to hit.

I have the flu or a cold right now from some strain of virus, who knows. I do know that if I had the virus from one of the strains included in the shot, I'd be much more ill.

All people who have chronic conditions need to consult with their doctor. Most of the time, it is recommended for people with chronic conditions to get the flu shot for the year.

Pneumococcal are also recommended to protect the elderly. This is a specific type of bacterial infection, not virus.

It's much better to prevent than to get. I also take grapeseed, and although I've felt miserable for 24 hours now, I think I would feel much worse if I didn't take the grapeseed.

Best wishes, Jeannette
  18. hunterwillow

hunterwillow New Member

The people offered the flu shot where I worked. I was the only one who chose to get one. My arm swelled up really bad, and I came down with the worst flu of my life immediatly after.
  19. tilla

tilla New Member

I don't think I have ever had the flu, so I don't want to chance it putting those germs into my system. They say it is just a cooincidence if you come down with the flu after the shot, but it happens too often, I don't think I believe in it for everyone.

Tilla
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Who give the shots never know about the ones who have a reaction unless they work in a clinic and their patient is hospitalized from it. Nurses who give the shots at public flu shot events will never know how many have adverse reactions because the reactions take time to develop.

When I worked at a clinic, we were all supposed to get the shots; this was years ago. The nurses knew of my reactions so they gave my injections intradermally (sp?). The needle was inserted at an angle so the vaccine would bunch up under the skin and be slowly absorbed. I never had a reaction when they were given in this manner but the shots sting like hell when given like this.

For several years after I left the clinic, I could not find a nurse willing to do this so I just quit taking them. I might mention that when I lived in CO, I was extremely allergic to several kinds of grass and every year around June/July, I became very sick. I started allergy shots for this and had to quit. Even the lowest dose made my arm swell to twice its size and made me sick. I was afraid I would go into shock like one lady did. She died after getting her allergy shot.

Like I said, it's an individual decision and there are no right or wrong decisions. Some of us do fine on the shots and some of us don't. I did fine fighting the flu; in fact, I got over it faster than some who are healthy. I think it's because I always take these things seriously and treat them immediately.

I have been sick ever since Wilma blew through here, even though I was in Atlanta when it hit. Ill winds do blow no good and I think hurricanes stir up some nasty things. Shirl is still sick with bronchial problems. Her old Pit Bull has asthma. People down here are sick with a cough and I got up with swollen lymph nodes, a fever, red face, and headache. I've been coughing for weeks. I immediately started taking my Doxy and Famvir. These are taken for prevention due to my chronic mycoplasma infection, being prone to bronchitis, and prevention of reactivation of Herpes Family Viruses. I also have an inhaler to keep fluid from building in my lungs.

People with immune system problems need to be extra vigilant when we get sick. I'm glad I have a doc who understands this. I'm not one who believes that ABX should be given out for every little virus, but my circumstances are different. If I were to wait until I had bronchitis from a secondary bacterial infection, my asthma would kick in and I might even get pneumonia. It has happened in the past. Once the bronchial problems kick in, it takes forever to get well.

Too many people wait until they are really sick before getting treatment. I believe the key for us is to be seen early on. Antivirals, vitamins, and supplements all help.

Let's hope this flu season is mild.

Love, Mikie