Had a flu shot yesterday, now extremely irritable

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PepperGirl52, Dec 22, 2005.

1. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Do you think it could have anything to do with that? I know this sounds weird, and being an RN, it's even weird to me!

But I wasn't able to take my usual nap, and couldn't even sleep well last night. I'm not having any effects from the shot, my arm isn't even hurting. Just really irritated, like when I'm on prednisone, and very very grouchy!!!

Maybe it's just the SEASON!! Where everyone expects something out of you, huh??? I don't know! Take care, everyone. PG
  2. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I haven't been able to get mine yet this year, but I've been getting them for 11 years (when I was healthy and not healthy), and never had a problem.

I wouldn't be surprised at anyone feeling ANY kind of symptom from the flu shot, though, and with you being a RN, I'm sure you hear about many side-effects, symptoms.

To be honest, I'm pretty irritable right now, and I know it's the stress of the holidays and yecky PMS. I hope by the end of the day you are feeling much better!!

Jennifer
  3. toronto133

toronto133 New Member

I got very irritable after my flu shot this year. It lasted about a day but I was really, really grouchy too. I thought perhaps it was some kind of immune reaction.

Hope you're feeling better.

Denise
    [This Message was Edited on 12/23/2005]
  4. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

The flu shot was one of the things that contributed to my getting CFS. I will never get the flu shot again, I believe it is because of the mercury. Trust your feelings about this: it is the flu shot which is making you irritable. I hope that it doesn't go on to make you worse. It sure did me. Marie
  5. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

every year as I am an RN too. I find that each year I get it it affects me more and more due to my FM/CFS. This year was horrible-- had a relapse and I'm still trying to get back to where I was before the shot. Am grouchy, have swollen glands, sore throat and all the flu-like achiness and pain. I also get the pneumonia vaccine when it's that time, but I have never had a problem with this.

I too read an article that says that the flu vaccine is a big No-No for us, but since I'm around sick kids all the time my doc thinks I shouldn't chance not getting it.
    Guess I'll suffer a while):
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and i can't imagine not getting the flu shot...

i take my tylenol 30-45 minutes before i go get the shot to help ward off some of the effects...

i don't know if it helps better than nothing...i still ache and the ususals there and even a little more with fibro...i suffer thru.
    take care it will get better for you eventually

jodie

7. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I do think it was the shot, because after 24 hours, I'm ok now! I finally feel like my system is back into a normal routine again. I even had a little achiness and some residual pains.

But, I'm doing ok today. So, that was the good and bad of MY experience this year. Didn't even get one last year, and I get one every year. So, it's really a toss up for us FM sufferers!

Take care, everyone. PG
  8. mommyof4boys

mommyof4boys Member

I have recieved the flu vaccine just yesterday and i woke up very irritable. I was fine yesterday before i recieved it so im going to see if tomorrow i feel better. I know im irritable because when my boys act silly i usually play along but i wasnt feeling like playing tonight. So yes its the flushot. My arm is sore as well.
  9. Fantastic Hal

Fantastic Hal Member

I got the seasonal influenza vaccine a few years ago and came down with vertigo. I was completely debilitated. It took over a year to recover, and I'm still not right. This was a little after I started having headaches, and then migraines, and then lots of other stuff, and finally fibromyalgia over several years, after having had troubles with fatigue/exhaustion, major depression and anxiety and panic for many years. One theory is that it may have activated one of any number of latent viruses in my vestibular system, essentially causing an infection. I had never thought to connect my reaction to the flu shot with fibro, and whatever's wrong with my nervous system. I have been extremely irritable at times for a long time, and can't remember this period well enough to think if it got worse after the vaccine. I have gotten the flu shot three times since, without reaction. I live with my elderly father, and don't want him to get sick.
    Hal