Had a good visit with the PCP today...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerryS, Sep 1, 2006.

1. TerryS

TerryS Member

He's still ignoring my chronic/reactivated epstein barr, but that's okay 'cause I have an appointment with a rheumatologist later this month.

He took MORE lab work and did an EKG today, ordered a nuclear stress test and CT of the brain. He's also sending me to a neurologist. This is all good so that we can start eliminating things. Just hope they don't find anything serious with the brain or heart!

I hope to get a definite diagosis when I see the rheumatologist.

TERRY

2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Glad to hear your visit went well today. It certainly sounds like he is covering all the bases. Hopefully you're rheumy appointment will go well too. I went to a couple of different rheumy's for treatment of my CFS/ME, and they only seemed to want to focus on FM. I kept telling them that pain is not an issue for me, and I wanted answers as to why I was running fevers and could barely get out of bed.

Finally, I ended up with an infectious diseae doctor who diagnosed me with CFS/ME. So, don't feel too discouraged if the first appointment doesn't go the way you hope. Sometimes we go through a couple doctors before we find one who is able to help. Some people see a rheumy, a neurologist, endocrinologists, ID doctors, immunologists, etc.

Anyway, keep us updated on your rheumy appointment and the various tests you will be undergoing.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  3. TerryS

TerryS Member

Thanks for the heads up about the docs. I'm hoping the rheumatologist will work with my "presumed" CFS. I know he's an expert in FM...assuming he at least believes in CFS!

My ENT was the one who said he thought I had CFS based on the fact that my epstein barr is still showing chronic/reactivated 4 years after my cytomegalovirus...he's a pretty sharp guy! He actually was the one who recommended the rheumy.

Even though my PCP doesn't even want to consider the epstein barr, at least he's looking at all avenues now and not just blowing me off. I'm soooo dizzy almost day and night now it's gotten ridiculous. (Been told NOT to drive anywhere...good idea!)

Also, I've been on a medical leave for the last two weeks and he extended it indefinitely for me today!!! I didn't even have to ask, he just did it! Plus, when my boss found out, she was sooo kind and understanding. Said she was going to look into getting a temp to handle my work until I can come back and for me just to get well! YAY!!!

I'll keep y'all posted. Hope to get some kind of diagnosis soon. I'm tired of being tired, the chronic extremity pain, and now this darn dizziness that's taken over my life!!!

TERRY
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

It sounds as if you happened upon a good doctor! He's get-
    ting right down to business in trying to learn what's going
    on. This CFS is frustrating I know. Do they have disabi-
    abilty benefits in Georgia under workmans comp?? Maybe
    you could get some time off with some income for awhile.

I'm at the point with my CFS that I have to suggest the
    latest possible "treatments" or combination of things that
    may be of help. I too have had Mono (E.B.) but years ago!
    It's difficult to know the cause or where this is going??

Best wishes,
    MRDAD
  5. TerryS

TerryS Member

Always wanted to go there...maybe some day! I did visit 29 Palms a couple of years ago (my daughter's a Marine). Somehow, I don't think I can compare 29 Palms with SF!!! This place was literally the middle of no where!!!

Anyhow, I have paid STD from my employer that will cover me up to 13 weeks and I have LTD that will kick in after that (let's hope it doesn't get THAT far!)

I don't know if I have CFS or not, but seems very suspicious that I may (or else some other autoimmune disorder). Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of it within the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I personally think I'm currently experiencing an exacerbation of the chronic epstein barr virus and am EXPECTING to start feeling better and better SOON!.

The new and different thing this time is that I'm having incredible dizzy spells (some days it's there ALL day long). I was also recently diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse and regurgitation...so, the stress test will be reassuring if it comes back alright.

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy talking to you fine people every day!!! And maybe learn some new things along the way!

TERRY
  6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Hello Terry,
    Did that big storm hit Georgia too? Have some young
    friends that are 'posta be here this weekend from Atlanta
    with their young baby. They are staying across the Bay and
    I hope I get to see them. They left here to go home to
    Atlanta after having had lived here for a number of years.

It's cool and foggy here this A.M. but hope to see the Sun
    by Noon. That's usually the normal protocol!

I'm glad while you are going thru all this that you won't
    have to be worrying about the Rent too!! Just curious a-
    bout that virus connection and CFS (??) More than a few
    people are being helped with anti-viral meds and I hope
    it continues to be beneficial in their treatment. It may
    provide much hope for many of us. I'm also in the process
    of looking into a possible Lyme connection too. My Daug-
    hter has it but is doing well.

Keep in touch about your progress and any revelations.
    Take care,
    MRDAD
  7. TerryS

TerryS Member

We had a HUGE storm the other night that "rocked the house" for hours on end!!!

I sure don't have to worry about rent or necessities. My hubby has that all under control. Thank, God, my income basically is used for spending money for myself and my teen (and boy don't we like to spend money!). Also, to send money to my son away at college...but he could get by without me if he had to...and my baby's old enough to work for her own spending money now (about to turn 16).

But I sure don't want to ask the hubby for spending money. He's quite the tightwad!!!!

Anyhow, hope to get a definite diagnosis soon and then I'll discuss these "anti-virals" with the docs. I'd sure like to get my old life back. THIS STINKS!!!

Talk to you later,
    TERRY