Had a Psyciatric diagnosis today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Aug 24, 2006.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

and NO I am not crazy!

My GP doesn't know what to do with me anymore, since the AD's don't work, so He refered me to a Psyciatrist. After telling him my life story, etc, he agreed with me that I don't need AD's at this point, as they haven't helped at all. But he agreed that getting so "talk therapy" would be a good idea.

So, I am looking forward to getting to talk to someone who can help me figure out what I call my "life" and how to cope effectively.

I am glad he didn't want to admit me to the hospital!!

Raz
  2. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

Raz, it takes courage to explore within and to ask for the guidance and support needed to make your exploration worthwhile. I've had many years of psychological counseling and these years have made my life enjoyable and rich even in spite of the discomfort and pain I've experienced with CFS and FM.

No..OF COURSE you're not crazy. It seems to me, you're very wise to be embarking upon a new exploration of yourself!

I've learned that every physical condition has a psychological aspect--even a broken limb--and having the emotional support of persons who understand is absolutely crucial to healing. I've also learned that healing doesn't necessarily mean that the physical condition is "cured". Healing often means regaining our sense of life being interesting, enjoyable and purposeful. For me, psychological help has helped me keep growing spiritually.
    I wish you the very best on this new spiritual journey!
    With love, Dorothy
  3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

My GP just gave me a referral to a psychologist since Ad's don't seem to be working for me either. I have been reluctant to make that call, but now I am kind of motivated to do it after reading your post!

Thanks, Raz! Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, will your insurance pay for your visits? I don't think mine will. They only want to pay for the stupid shrink I've already been to who only wants to prescribe meds. Grrrrr....
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

your kind and encouraging words mean alot to me!

Raz
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I live in Canada, and we don't have to pay for this. It is included in our health care.
    I think you should go for it. And I wish you all the best!

Raz
  6. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I COULD cry! It doesn't seem to work for me. My emotions seem to be dead. Greatly supressed, anyways.
  7. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I had psychiatric counselling for quite a while and found it very helpful. My psych. also knew a lot about Fibro. It was very comforting to have someone who would listen to my mixed up feelings and help me sort through it all.
    I, too felt sort of 'dead' inside at first. After a while, I began to open up and really acknowledge my feelings. Then I could cry and I did.
    I hope this is a good step for you. Give it some time.

Kathy
  8. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

I have been seeing the "nut doc" for several weeks now. The med he put me on for the depression (nutty days) is taking some of the fm pain away. It is actually helping with my sleeping too. The talking helps a little bit. But I figure it is worthwhile as long as I remain human instead of being a nut. We have too many squirrels in our yard to be a nut. I can just see my bottom sticking out of a hole in a tree. lol
    Love ya me
  9. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

I'm glad my comments helped!

You probably know that there are many different approaches to psychological difficulties and that if you find one therapist not right for you, you can surely seek out another.

In the past, I have found it beneficial to ask for several names of psychologists and to interview at least two of them. Three is even better to find out with whom I have the best connection. Raz, I don't trust any professionals readily.

(I'm especially suspicious of dentists as I had a terrible experience as a child with one. Now, I'm fine with dentists since I've learned to move on if I don't have a good connection with him or her.) Today I have a wonderful woman dentist who's the best I've ever had. She does superb work, is extremely gentle and her hands fit in my mouth better--lol!

As far as psychotherapy, I interview each prospective therapist and I ask a number of questions. These are questions about aspects of therapy I consider important to me. I want to know about their background and education and in what areas of psychology have been their primary concentration. I want to know how I feel in their presence. I also want to know what background they have in treating persons with Fibromyalgia and CFIDS. (I don't care if they are not deeply knowlegeable about these conditions, but I don't want to work with someone who has made up their mind these are not 'real' physical illnesses. I don't want to have to defend being ill to anyone, especially a professional who is supposed to be giving me emotional support.)

Most honest and ethical professionals will not have a problem giving a prospective client/patient a free interview. If they won't give you this time to get acquainted with them, you've learned something important. At least this is what I've found.

And I've found that the half hour or so in a face-to-face interview will save us both a lot of confusion, distrust and resistance later on down the road--so it is well worth the time and effort it takes. And, if a professional won't give me an initial interview, that helps me to realize that they are not the right person for me or may be too busy to give me the treatment I require--or both.

So, Raz--if the first therapist you begin with is not the one for you--I hope you remember that you're the 'customer'and that you need to be satisfied with the advocacy. support and insights you find in treatment with him or her. Remember you can find another psychologist with whom you ARE satisfied.

Again, the best to you!

With love, Dorothy