Had amalgam fillings removed today under IV sedation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JoFMS, Jul 13, 2008.

1. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

I just wanted to post that I had all 6 of my remaining fillings removed today safely under IV conscious sedation with an IV Vit C drip following Huggins protocol. For someone who is absolutely petrified of having treatment done at dentists I consider my self very brave!

The IV conscious sedation really helped for my anxiety and I have had silver fillings removed once before unsafely and had a complete nervous system reaction after - from the mercury.

Anyway I feel much better knowing that my mouth isn't poisoning me with mercury anymore and preventing me form detoxifying and getting better.

Now I just must start the chelation therapy following Dr Cutlers low dose chelation.

I will keep everyone updated with my progress as I do believe I am getting better. I have a much more positive attitude lately since I have put all my efforts into my health.

I have also just ordered a box of organic veggies once a week delivered and they taste great! Everything I am doing, I am doing from my own recommendations and research - not because of drs or practitioners and it appears to be helping!

I would love to hear from anyone else who has improved after having fillings out and followed Dr Cutlers protocol.

2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Great job!

I had my amalgams out when I first got sick using a biological dentist. Just getting them out was a huge improvement for me.

I did chelation but it was before Cutler so I just did what my integrative doctor suggested. I was not harmed and was much better. About 80% when you add in glutathione injections and supplements.

I did have a relapse but it was caused by getting off my supplements, extreme stress and too much exercising.

3. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

Please be careful using Cutler's protocol, he's not an MD/DO. For instance, the idea of taking low dose dmsa at set intervals 24 hours a day is very difficult / nearly impossible to do. Getting a good nights sleep is more important than waking up throughout the night to take a chelator.

I used dmsa for my detox, but was recommended to me that I start with 25-50 mg doses mixed with water daily. Do that daily for 5-7 days & then take several days off. You can gradually move up the dmsa dosage, as tolerable, & build up your dmsa dosage that way.

The key is to take things very slowly & not push it. Slow but sure is the way to go.

4. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Thanks for your replies.

Spartan - I put my faith in what makes sense to me not doctors, dentists etc. I have done a few years of pure research and no doctor has helped me yet - in fact made things worse for me and it was a dentist that put the poisonous fillings in my mouth in the first place. I think first hand experience is most important and what has helped others and your own knowledge and research.

You're right about the sleep - I will just have to see how that goes but it does make sense if the DMSA halflife is 4 hours.

Insurance - isn't it awful that we trust doctors, dentists etc when very often it seems to be them who give the wrong advice and then somewhere down the line when we need help - we can't get it financially.

I put my faith in my dentist when I originally asked for white fillings - for cosmetic purposes many years ago and he advised me no silver ones are much better and the white ones wont hold your teeth together. He just said 'you can always get them repaced later on' - boy do I regret listening to him. But at least I found a dentist now who agrees that silver fillings are harmful and refuses to use them.

We have to use our own judgement rather than relying on or blaming others. Docotrs and dentists cannot know everything - they have not had our illness, our own bodies are better judgements sometimes.

5. footballmom

footballmom New Member

I have a mouthful of old fillings. At my last dental checkup I asked my dentist about replacing them because my FMS. He said there is no link between FMS and silver/mercury fillings and that I would be wasting my money. You would think that the dentist would welcome the money whether or not he beleives there is a link or not. He did recomend a crown for my one tooth as it has a bunch of filling in it. I've had many surgeries and painful procedures done in my life yet I'm petrified of the dentist. My teeth are so sensitive and my mouth hurts for days afterwards when I just get a cleaning. I heard there was a new dentist in the area that sedates you for procedures. Maybe I should check him out.
  6. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

You're right about the docs,,,,,i went through the same problems w/them many years ago & learned to rely on my own research & instincts instead.

You've got the right attitude about the chelation process & you will do well over time.

I had 13 molars filled w/amalgam , including several gold crowns glued to amalgam bases. Its been over 7 years since i had the removals/replacements done & the subsequent slow chelation process. Only in the past year or two have I felt significant improvements in my symptomology. I knew it was a going to be a long road back,,,,,but its been worth every step.

Best of luck to you.
  7. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Just curious as I'm always reading about people removing these fillings - what harm do they pose?

I've got a mouthful of them - probably over 40 as every tooth in my head is filled with at least 1 but usually 3 or more amalgam fillings. I've got absolutely horrible teeth and other than the fillings, I've had a dozen root canals, 10 or more extractions, numerous caps and crowns, bridges, and still need 15K worth of work. And, of course, no dental insurance.
  8. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Wow, that is a lot of metal.

Amalgams is the nice word to say mercury alloy usually with tin, nickel or other metals.

They leach out due to the high acid/ph of our mouths. This has been documented and there has been a strong movement to use only composites that contain no metal.

In addition to leaching out of the amalgams into our bodies, the metals and the acid in our mouth sets up a battery.

Depending on the age/chemical composition of the amalgams, some could be a positive charge and others could be a negative charge. Either way, not healthy.

You can read some of Dr. Hal Huggins work - not sure if there is anyone newer.

I increased my functionality by a large percentage by having them removed. Also, I had an infection under a crown that was probably keeping me down - had no knowledge other than aching until the crown was removed, then it blossomed into a full infection.

After removal, I started chelation but was not able to finish due to financial reasons. Still, I am glad that I went this route.

9. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

My understanding is that there aren't all that many dentists who are proficient in placing the composites properly. The material requires are better hand at making sure each tiny crook and cranny is filled completely, and that the "bite" is as close to perfect as possible. So if your dentist is capable, then I'd not hesitate to have the metal fillings removed, even if it took 1 at a time financially.

I asked around my church and from friends who did their dental work until I'd heard from several different people about the dentist I finally contacted. She was stupendous! Got in there and got all the metal out and my bite is flawless. It was horrendously expensive but I'd felt so badly for so long, I did not care anymore and put it on a charge card. The only removals remaining to be done are 2 crowns that are porcelain over gold. I want those out, too. I can taste the gold. I don't like it. But won't have $2,100 any time soon so I cope.

Wish I'd thought about sedation like you had!

It's been a year now and I haven't gotten any worse, and do seem to have longer periods of stableness. I'd do it again, wouldn't hesitate.