had an MRI of lumbar spine, questions, please...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweetbeatlvr, Sep 14, 2008.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i was finally able to get the MRI done of my lower back, in hopes of finding out what causes the severe pain i get.

i've had an MRI of my head and cervical spine, and it was noted that i had mild degeneration in my neck.

my doctor said that if i had it in my neck, i more than likely had it down my spine.

well, i went and picked up the disc and reports from the lumbar MRI.

the report says:

L3-L4: no significant disc disease present.

L4-L5: no significant disc disease present.

L5-S1: no significant disc disease present.

conclusion: unremarkable exam.

now, i looked at my disc with the pictures on it, and compared them to those i could find on the internet, with those with DDD, and i could clearly see that i have slight degeneration on several discs, with one being completely black. also my SI joint (which seems to hurt the most), and i'm assuming is the disc furthest on the end (and small), is completely black.

a healthy disc is supposed to be white in nature. most all mine have black throught the middle.

by the doctor stating, "no significant (keyword, significant) disc disease present, does that mean that i have some, but it's not that bad?

my theory is that even with a small amount of degeneration, and having FMS, couldn't that cause me to have more pain than someone without FMS?

of course i'm going to go over all of this with my doctor on Thursday, but was just hoping to get some input from my fellow FMS sufferers.

thanks in advance........ autumn <3
  2. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I agree with your comment that fm adds to the pain of ddd,

I have both ddd of the cervical spine and LS and have had surgery from L4/5 to S1

I still use ice and heat. Heat when the muscles hurt but ice right on my spine in order to make it through the day.

Good Luck.

Lillie
  3. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I agree with your comment that fm adds to the pain of ddd,

I have both ddd of the cervical spine and LS and have had surgery from L4/5 to S1

I still use ice and heat. Heat when the muscles hurt but ice right on my spine in order to make it through the day.

Good Luck.

Lillie
  4. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

so do you think when he stated no significant disc disease, that he meant i have some, but it's "not that bad"?
  5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

My suggestion is to take the x-rays to another doctor (oh boy, yet another doctor) and get a second opinion...a doctor who is not affiliated with the current one.

Best wishes,
    Hopeful4
  6. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

will be trying to get another opinion. i'm hoping my nurse practioner will be able to see for herself.

thanks for replying.