Had anyone bought/used PET insurance?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Asatrump, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

My son has two year old dogs and just bought a new puppy, 9 weeks. Anyone have advice regarding pet insurance for vet bills? I was able to google and find various kinds of insurance, but how do I know if they are worth the cost, or which one is best?

Thanks so much for any help. I am a dog person, bred and showed shih tzu and had 27 litters of puppies. But I have not been in business since 1989 and everything has changed, AKC registering is different now, one color paper for dogs that can not be bred etc. I am just not up on this insurance at all.
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

But I would ask my vet. They can tell you who they take and how well they pay.

I spent $239 yesterday at the vet for yearly rabies, heartworm tests and meds, Frontline. It doesnt take long to add up.

I will be watching to see how this turns out. Carla
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I got the Pet Insurance for my son's dog. She stays with us when he is at school. I use an electric mobility scooter. I'm terrified of running over her leg and having a $2,000 or $3,000 vet bill repairing a compound fracture.

I need to file a claim and haven't done it yet because I found out about my thyroid cancer on the same day that I had the ER vet bill. (Severe vomiting). The bills add up fast at a vet. That one visit was about $235.00

I got a policy that pays $80% after deductible. If I can find the policy, I'll tell you which one I bought. There is one pet insurance company that is notoriously slow in reimbursement. I'd probably recognize the name if I heard it.

When I was looking into this, I read that it is usually less expensive to just pay for the annual injections than get that stuff covered under the policy.

Sorry I'm not more organized. I've been getting radiation treatments, isolation, low iodine diet, etc. My brain is only functioning at about 40%.

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Oh dear. Just the other day a friend and I were talking about the days when we gave a pet food, water, as much love as they'd allow and let them in and out. Now they're like our children.

Like a lot of insurance, the pet insurance company is betting you won't need it while you, the one paying all the premiums, is betting you will. While some vet bills, like Carla's, can be large and more vets are recommending yearly care like dental cleaning for pets, I think we must be realistic.

I'd do as much research as possible on the type of dog (I don't know much about shihtzus), check their expected lifespan, what ailments or illness they're prone to have for their breed, ask your vet's office how much routine care will cost you annually if you don't know, add it all up, then compare your estimates to the cost of insurance. Because pets don't live as long as people, often the premiums are high since the insurance companies want to make as much money as possible.

Also be sure to find out the length of the premium. What happens if the dog dies before the premium runs out? Can it be cancelled or must you continue to pay?

If you will do it, I'd put that money aside in a CD or some type of interest-bearing investment for a possible large vet bill which, if you don't need it, is still yours and not the insurance company's. Remember, insurance companies are in business to make a profit.

I hope this gives you something to think about.

5. poohsmom

poohsmom New Member

We looked into it at one time and it excluded too many medical conditions, plus had a ceiling on expenses they paid, so it was all pretty much to their benefit.