Had Asthma Attack Could it be new herbal vitamins?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by livin4him, Apr 7, 2006.

1. livin4him

livin4him New Member

Just gonna put this question out there in case anyone has ever had this happen. I have allergies, sinus problems and asthma. Had attack last night and then again today so I went to the Urgent Care today - spent 3 hours - had breathing treatment, steroid shots, etc. Prescribed nebulizer in-home use.

Okay, here's the deal, I bought some new liquid vitamins yesterday made by Nature's Plus, Energy Supplements. I have taken the Source Of Life Multi-vitamin one before with no problem. Yesterday, however, I bought the Energy Elixir and the Shot of B12. Both of these attacks came after I took this medicine.

How do you know if it is something in the liquid vitamins? Or is it just the pollen, pollen, pollen in the air.

Anyone else ever deal with this before?
  2. daylight

daylight New Member

I had a reaction to an herbal energy drink and ended up in the ER. My throat almost completely swelled shut,I couldn't breath. One of the most frightening experiences of my life.
    Anything that is organic/herbal in the name can have a multitude of things encluded . Trace elements. Ask your doctor to recommend a good supplement. I would also contact the make of the product you took to get a list of ingredents. By law they have to disclose everything to the public.

I hope your feeling better soon. Take care.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I personally have not had this experience, but I know that I have read anyone with autoimmune disorders should stay away from some herbs such as echinacea which stimulate the immune system. Does your vitamin have this? Also, milk thistle can cause allergic reactions in people allergic to ragweed. These are the only two I know anything specific about.

Julie
  4. livin4him

livin4him New Member

They are on the bottle and also the brochure I got.

Energy Elixir:
    Guarana
    Spanish Bee Pollen
    Royal Jelly
    Korean Ginseng
    Eleuthero
    American Ginseng

Shot-O-B12:
    Vitamin B-12-5000 mcg

The other one - is the whole life multivitamin energy enhancer - which I had taken before with no problems.

I wonder if it was the bee pollen. Strange. I am going to call the store where I bought them when they open and talk to them about it. I feel pretty stupid for not asking about any precautions before I purchased them.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know your experience. Take care.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

If you were exposed to something you are allergic to in that preparation, yes, it could trigger an attack.

It's a little early for pollens but its possible especially if you live in the southern US.

The worst asthma attack I ever had in my life happened on an elevator on my way up to the 70th floor in a high-rise. I don't know to this day whether it was some material in the elevator, the ride itself or someone's perfume but I was sick for quite some time afterwards.

Report your adverse event to FDA's MedWatch website. www.fda.gov/medwatch. Click on the words "How To Report" and it will show you how to report an adverse event. They collect information from consumer/patients and doctors about rx and non-rx drugs and dietary supplements. Voluntary reporting about a bad reaction may help other people as well - if they start to see a trend of data about any one particular product, they can look at it more closely.

To find out what specifically you are allergic to, I recommend you go and see an allergist and get tested. If you experience respiratory distress of that nature, it is important for you to find out what you're allergic to - being forewarned is forearmed. Milder allergic reations can become anaphylactic reactions which are life-threatening events. I am allergic to dust mites (both species), feathers, ragweed and tree nuts. I have had an analyphylactic reaction once - and really am not interested in repeating it!!!!! I carry an EpiPen at all times in my purse and have one at home just in case.

Hope you feel better.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

6. livin4him

livin4him New Member

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply. All of the information we give one another really helps. I love your name by the way.

Yes, I have had one severe attack before also, and do not wish to repeat it either. Was not sure if I was going to make it the 30 minute trip driving to emergency room. On top of all that, the emergency room personnel were ill prepared for asthma attacks (not a very good hospital at that time). Actually, tried to get me to complete all of the paperwork before I could get treatment, meanwhile I'm about to pass out. I am not a person to keep quiet about such things and I was able to get across to her the dire situation. After talking to manager, they gave me a coffee cup for my troubles, lol.

I live in Alabama and we have the highest pollen count in the country this time of the year. There are alot of asthma attacks in the urgent care facilities and emergency rooms right now. I try and take as many precautions as I can.

Yes, I have been tested before but not extensive testing, which is one of my goals now (on top of the long list of health goals).

I will report the product I used, I believe firmly now that that was what it was, because it was more of a chest crushing type attack than one I had experienced before.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to tell me about your experiences. I appreciate it so much. Take care and I hope you have a blessed day.