Had EMG test today...OUCH

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TKE, Oct 3, 2006.

1. TKE

TKE New Member

Doc sent me for EMG because my feet are going numb, having trouble moving my toes, muscles in legs jumping like crazy, leg weakness, legs shaking, etc. Threw my back out in August & therapy was only able to get me partly back to before. Have DDD/herniation at L5 S1. Darn back goes out all the time, but some times it goes out major & I end up a real mess for a month or so. Been dealing with this for 20 plus years now.

All I can say is those who have low tolerance for pain be prepaired to rip the techs face off!!! LOL. I had to make him stop several times so I could compose myself & talk myself into continuing. If it wasn't for the fact that I needed to know what was causing my symptoms I would have quit.

My Huz was in the room & kept asking me if I was OK. He knew I was in major...no HORRIBLE pain & he can't stand to see me like that. I know he wanted to torture the tech like he was torturing me, LOL.

I had 8 shocks to legs & feet, plus 20 needle sticks to legs/feet/lower back. Outcome is I have deteriorating nerves & muscles in both legs. Need to be sent for a MRI & compare it to the one I had done 2 years ago when the disc herniated. Possible surgery :(. Not was I was expecting.

2 years ago the surgeon told me I was not a good candidate for surgery, as it may not help me. So I have no idea what to expect. Guess I'll just have to take it one day at a time & pray surgery can be put off. I have a big fear of being operated on & being put under. Plus I have an egg allergy & can't have regular anesthia.

Geez just when you think things might get better you get knocked down again.

Toy

2. KarenZee

KarenZee New Member

with everything. I had an EMG done a few years ago and will be having one in a couple of weeks. I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis about a month ago.

The testing is a real "shocker" to say the least! Sorry, I couldn't help myself! :^)
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

from neck to feet and you are right ouch! then i was in pain for a few weeks after. hope you feel better soon charlene
  4. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Toy, so sorry to hear about your EMG. I've had a few of those myself and they are NO fun! I also have back problems and herniation in L4 & L5. An epidural and a very strong back brace saved me from surgery. Also physical therapy helped stregthen my torso muscles to hold the discs in place. I would highly recommend going this route instead of surgery if you have a choice. Takes a long time, but less risky and has higher success rating. Giant hugs to you.
    H
  5. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi Toy;
    I am so sorry to hear you were in so much pain- did they give you something? Is it normal for this type of test to be pain? You take care of yourself- I hope you feel better. Pain is an awful thing.
    Janet
  6. mary124

mary124 New Member

Toy:

Sorry you had to go though this. I had to have a few of them myself. It hurt (more than hurt, wanted to tell the Tech to-----!!) You fill in the blanks. After having therapy a few times, did have surgery for my back.

Janet, yes, it does hurt, but they don't give you anything for the pain.
  7. Doober

Doober New Member

I had one of these myself. MY wife had this test as well some time years before me and when my DR set me up for this test, I had no idea what it was. My wife tried to explain it to me. Well, me being a man and man trying to be macho to his wife. She came into the room and when the DR pull out the probe, my eyes got wide and my wife's grin got even wider. Not that she wanted to see me in pain, but I got my just serve. I hear you on the pain of that test. This man will be a little more selective about his machoism.

One day at a time is the best motto for all of us.