had MRI-looking for MS-hate the waiting for results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by griswoldgirl, Nov 20, 2002.

1. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

I have had some balance problems, cognative problems way worse than any fibro flare I have ever been in, and visual disturbances.

The eye thing is what prompted my doctor to order the MRI-I have had blurriness that comes and goes in left eye for a year or so now with two trips to the optamologist with nothing wrong structurally. then one night I went completely blind in that eye while watching TV--scared the you know what out of me!!!

IT WAS great when I worked in the hospital I could look up my own results, now I have to be a real patient and I hate it. I am hoping it is just the stress I have been living through for a while now. I will call today to see if they have them yet.

PT is killing me, but the knee is getting better day by day.

Got an attorney to help with denied STD from my job, which has releaved some pressure. $$$$$$$$$$ is so tight right now and I hate that with Christmas coming--told the kids that Santa is broke this year and it will be a lean but happy Christmas--we are going to Ohmaha where my husband is working to see him in the first time in over 6 months. I am scared, happy and looking forward to it all at the same time. We have been communicating well lately and are talking of reconsiliation-problem is monitarily he has to continue the travel work because the money is better and we could not even payour bills with him working directly for a hospital right now(he is a CT technologist and works for a temp company)

Just taking it day by day-know no other way right now---I have never felt as knocked down and depressed ever as I am right now.

I suppose that is why I have not been on the sight much lately, do not want to whine continually to all of you. I figured that I need support right now and that is what this board is for so I am letting you guys into my head.

I hope all that read this are well and if not hang in there

in friendship

cathy
  2. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

I have had some balance problems, cognative problems way worse than any fibro flare I have ever been in, and visual disturbances.

The eye thing is what prompted my doctor to order the MRI-I have had blurriness that comes and goes in left eye for a year or so now with two trips to the optamologist with nothing wrong structurally. then one night I went completely blind in that eye while watching TV--scared the you know what out of me!!!

IT WAS great when I worked in the hospital I could look up my own results, now I have to be a real patient and I hate it. I am hoping it is just the stress I have been living through for a while now. I will call today to see if they have them yet.

PT is killing me, but the knee is getting better day by day.

Got an attorney to help with denied STD from my job, which has releaved some pressure. $$$$$$$$$$ is so tight right now and I hate that with Christmas coming--told the kids that Santa is broke this year and it will be a lean but happy Christmas--we are going to Ohmaha where my husband is working to see him in the first time in over 6 months. I am scared, happy and looking forward to it all at the same time. We have been communicating well lately and are talking of reconsiliation-problem is monitarily he has to continue the travel work because the money is better and we could not even payour bills with him working directly for a hospital right now(he is a CT technologist and works for a temp company)

Just taking it day by day-know no other way right now---I have never felt as knocked down and depressed ever as I am right now.

I suppose that is why I have not been on the sight much lately, do not want to whine continually to all of you. I figured that I need support right now and that is what this board is for so I am letting you guys into my head.

I hope all that read this are well and if not hang in there

in friendship

cathy
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Sorry you are under a lot of stress right now, I think it's tough at any time to wait for test results & harder still around the holidays--stressful anyway! I went thru all the MRI/MS testing & it's worth doing for your own peace of mind. And if, God forbid, MS should be a problem, the prognosis is much better these days for MS & there are people on this site who have it & can offer support---as well as the rest of us who can at least empathise.

Let us know how it turns out & take care,
    Pam
  4. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

I've been there myself with the MRI waiting and no doubt will be going there again. Although I have actually started to feel (and I've heard this from others who have experienced it), that to have a positive MS dx is actually better than having all the symptoms and just not knowing for sure.

But some things to remember:

1)You're not going to be diagnosed with a fatal illness

2)There's treatments for MS that are very effective in slowing progression.

3)It's unlikely you'll be incapacitated by it, if it is MS -- you don't mention motor problems. Sensory/vision/balance stuff usually = good prognosis.

4)THEY WILL CURE MS IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS!! The disease process in Multiple Sclerosis is easily observed, and is the subject of tremendous research. Advances in medicine will result in a cure for it before too long. PWMS just have to hang in there and wait for it.

5)It's probably not MS!

The way I go about these things is to tell myself to expect the worst, like the worst case scenario is a formality. That way, I don't get too shocked if it is. Some say that's negative thinking, but it works for me!

Wishing you a nice clear MRI film,
    Marcus
  5. jsessler

jsessler New Member

I have a history of migraines going back to my adolescence, and when I was in my late 20s, started getting fuzzy vision and blank spots in my vision in one eye while I was pregnant. I was terrified I had a brain tumor. I had no pain associated with the visual disturbances. When I finally worked up the courage to tell my doctor, he said it was a silent migraine, and was pretty classic in how it presented itself. Usually no pain and visual disturbances in one eye for the duration of the migraine itself. Since then, every once in a while I will get one of these, sometimes with the headache pain, sometimes without. It doesn't scare me since I know what it is, now.

I hope this is all you have. Good luck. When I was a paramedic (and hoping to go on to med school--never happened, btw) the thing that was always drilled into my head was when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. There's often a simple explanation for what's happening. If you have a history of regular migraine headaches, this is probably just another version. Hope this helps.
  6. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I'm really sorry you're gong through all this. It is awful having to wait for the results. Hopefully it's not MS.
    I've been through this also. I had an MRI back in the summer and it was clear. I may be wrong but if the brain is clear don't they need to do an MRI of the spine? They didn't do one on me. I am not happy with the Dr. He just thought everything was depression once he saw that I had CFS/FMS. Didn't even address my eye problems or cognitive problems. I'm having a rough time with my eyes also. I've had 2 episodes where everything is hazy and blurry. Each time it lasted about a month on and off. That is really scary. I can't imagine how you felt when you went blind in one eye.
    Hope everything turns out ok for you. You hang in there.

Sapphire
  7. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

was diagnosed with hemiplegic migrane a couple of years ago and am hoping that is all it is-if so I will check in with the headache wellness center again. The doctor that diagnosed me is gone unfortunately, I really liked her.

It would make sense that that is what it is with the stress i have been under.
    TY every one for your support
    take care
    cathy
  8. yellowrose1

yellowrose1 New Member

Hi Cathy, Just wanted to pop in to tell you that we are going through the same stuff. Vision problems, headaches, Mri done. I have my results though. Neuro says that mris aren't conclusive for ms and I need to have a spinal tap done, and those aren't conclusive either. Sure looks like I have early ms. Ok. So I can deal with that too. What's my only choice right? And you can too, but we are all praying that you get good news for Christmas. That can be your good news present from God. Christmas is sparse here, our present to each other is that we are all going home for Christmas. We have been 500 miles away from family for two years now and that is really all we want. Our kids are even happy with the upcoming trip and just being around the ones that we love and remembering christmases of years past. So whatever you decide, Christmas is coming.... Enjoy it like it's your very first one and remember that your family here is thinking of you and praying for positive test results.
    All my love Sonya