Had MRI very scared

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Danielle, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hello,

I had my mri on saturday. When I came out of the tube the technician said to wait on the table until she talks to the doctor that was looking at the results. She said I don't mean to scare you but there are disks problems in the middle of your back.

She said she needed to find out if I should see my doctor sooner then my scheduled appt. My appt. is on tuesday. She said the were disk problems and they were bulging. I don't think she was supposed to say anything.

I asked if it was a tumor or something because I am always afraid of cancer. She said no, I asked again after I got dressed if it could be a tumor and she said that they would have her do another mri with contrast if it were.

I am having panic and anxiety attacks.

Danielle
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

It will only make you feel worse. I'm sure your doctor will call you if they need to see you sooner than tomorrow.

I have to agree though that the tech probably should not have said anything about what she saw, I don't think that's her place.

Sorry, try some deep breathing, relaxation excersises if you can - those help me somethimes. Whatever it is - there is nothing you can do to change it & panicing won't help either. You'll make it!

Take care,

Leanne
  3. Danielle

Danielle New Member

I went to the chat room but I'm at work so I was busy for awhile.

The doctor is supposed to be calling me today. I took a tranquilzer so i'm feeling better. I only got 3 hours of sleep and woke up with a headache. I've been crying at work all morning. The crying at least stopped the headache.

I'm also kind of relieved that at least they finally found something. I have been begging several doctors at Kaiser to do the MRI. They always blamed the pain on fibromyalgia.

The bulge or whatever it is is in my thoracic spine. It's also a bad area to have surgery on.

Danielle
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Scheduled more tests if they thought it was cancer. They also would have done a CAT scan as well, maybe ultra sound. Please do not be scared.

Although some people with back pain may have cancer the vast MAJORITY of people with back pain do NOT have cancer.

As in "some people who drive cars get killed in car wrecks" does not mean All people who drive cars get killed in car wrecks.

Please do not be scared I could lay odds that you will be fine and the disc problems can be addressed. Always get a second and even third opinion prior to having ANY surgery on the spine or anywhere.

Love Anne C
  5. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Thanks for the reassurance. This is the first time I've seen this doctor. I couldn't get Kaiser to do the MRI, so I went to an orthopedic surgeon. This was the first test he did. I am scheduled to see him tomorrow but I had a major meltdown today because of what the tech said.

He is supposed to call me today but hasn't yet. Do you think they would have called by now if something was really bad? Do you think this tech would know if it were a tumor or not? I just wished she wouldn't have said anything. She made it sound like something was really wrong.

Danielle
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

Danielle

I am not a doctor, bu it doesn't sound like it is a cancer problem

The tech shouldn't have said anything.

I can't tell you how many times I worried after a test, and it turned out to be nothing.

Please don't do this to yourself. Just put it out of your mind.

Take care
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I think that the doctor would have made a point to call you had you had anything really serious.

I think the tech was trying to reassure you, she just did it in a way that made you more worried. They absolutely would have called in the doctor to do the contrast MRI right away if they saw anything iffy. When she took the films into the radiologist he or she would have said something like when is she scheduled to see the doctor, like if it was in a month they may have advised you to go sooner. As it is tomorrow, they thought that was OK.

Go to sleep, see what the doctor says tomorrow and stop scaring yourself. I think it is exactly what she said that you probably have a disc problem that the doctor may need to advise you on right away (like do not lift anything heavy etc.) some activity that could worsen it.

I am exactly like you I scare my self reading too much into everything, but then if the tech had said nothing I would read her face and think she looked shocked. I also get into a real flap over waiting for results. I feel very certain all will be treatable, and may even give you some pain relief.

Look at all the worry I went through over my heart results and I just read another doctor's notes that read"recent EEG showed some aorta dilation that is of negligible concern" yet the way the heart doc had said the result sounded as if I was hanging onto life by a thread, maybe. I was practically hysterical, and was on the web checking out every detail I could find that just scared me more.

Please post after you see the doc tomorrow will you. I know a lot of us get this anxiety with tests and waiting and half information.

Blessings, all will be OK I am sure.

LOve Anne C
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

No news is good news~

If the dr. has'nt called yet,....thats a good thing.

Try not to worry,..I know its so hard not to.
    I get like that too. My mind races as to all the possibles,..and all the bad/horrible could be's.

Its not worth the anxiety to worry yourself sick.

Wishing you loads of luck,..and sending prayers and hugs :)
    Tandy
  9. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but I had an MRI back in the Fall and it showed some slightly bulging discs at L4 and L5. The ER doctor told me that a lot of people have bulging discs though and have no symptoms at all. It is actually a somewhat normal part of "aging". Of course, I'm 34, so I'm not sure about the "aging" part. ;) You will not automatically have to have surgery because your discs are bulging. Try to calm down and wait for the doctor to contact you.

Julie