Had MUA How Do I Detox from Anesthesia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mdjaj2231, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

Hi Everyone.

I haven't been on for awhile. I finally had the manipulation under anesthesia procedure where they give you twilight anesthesia and stretch you 3 days in a row. I did it a week ago Thurs., Fri., and Sat. The jury's still out, but I'm not sure it really did that much. I'm very good about stretching, walking, doing yoga, walking in the pool. Maybe it loosened me up, but they really built up my expectations. I will be stretching at least 3x/week and following up 1x/week with the chiropractor. Hopefully I'll continue to see improvement.(There were 2 MDs and an RN in there the whole time.)

I cannot seem to shake the anesthesia! I had about 4 days with constant exhaustion, dizziness, and nausea, ugh! Now I'm having periods of time where I'm better, but it still comes and goes. I've tried milk thistle and red clover - the red clover seems to settle my stomach, tons of water and club soda, eating lots of clean fruit and veggies, and trying to move around as much as possible within reason. I can't fast, but if anyone has any other suggestions. I'd love to hear them.

Thanks so much.

2. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

I'm getting better. I had to do it. I would have always wondered. I'm not worse, just not much better.

3. simonedb

simonedb Member

yea, anesthesia had something to do with my getting cfids/fm too. Dr cheney recs to his patients that they only get a certain sort of anesth if they must and has a protocol of how much o2 etc As he has found that there is oxygen toxicity with cfids, it can make brain swell.
    perhaps if you had twilight anesth its not as bad or if you are fibromyalgia and not cfids.
    anesthesia is the only thing standing between me and a boob job haha what are ya gonna do though
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

I have been told by every anaesthetist I’ve been referred to that because I had prior adverse reactions to anaesthetics I will have them again. I was also told that the time you are put under is irrelevant; it’s the meds that cause the problems. More is being understood about how anaesthesia can cause long term problems in patients of any age; it used to be thought they only occurred in the very young or old.

When I saw a nurse practioner two weeks after surgery she was still experiencing these symptoms herself and the emotional lability which is frequently reported. Her post anaesthesia problems delayed her return to work and she could still only cope with part time initially.

I took milk thistle and dandelion tea but not sure if they made a difference; it’s very difficult to think clearly and make good decisions when post aneasthesia symptoms occur on top of the ME, CFS and FM ones. Finally I upped my methyl b12 and vit C and that did seem to help a bit. Inflammation was a significant factor for me as well; a combo of a strong NSAID I could tolerate, and alternatives, seemed to help too both with the post operative pain and more generalised symptoms.

Many months later there’s still some residual issues but nothing like as bad as they were.

Everyone with these DDs should research general anaesthesia thoroughly before agreeing to its use; local anesthesia is considered preferable but the specific surgery I had meant that was not an option for me.

I found a lot of relevant information from checking out numerous resources. I came across many useful ones through combining various search words such as CFS, CFIDS, ME, surgery, and general anaesthesia.

I found the anaesthetists involved in my case willing to try to minimise the risks within what their NHS Hospital Trust would allow. This time round there was a difference during and immediately after surgery but the aftermath was the same unfortunately.

Tc, Tansy
  5. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

I actually just took my first yoga class since the procedure. Boy I sweated like never before. I think I got rid of lots of toxins. I really know I will not do any procedure that is not 100% necessary - no tooth whitening, no lasik, nothing. I'll stick with good food, exercise, supplements, the minimal amount of meds. and take it from there.

Thanks everyone. Take care.