Had My Cardio Tests Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Nothing to report--yet. The doc said I did fine on the stress test. I actually felt energized right afterward but, as usual, I am starting to really feel fatigued.

I see the doc later for a recap on all the tests. I'm wearing the Holter monitor until tomorrow. They injected dye into my body for the stress test and another one which takes pictures in little slices. You lie in a machine and the camera circles the table. The only thing is that you have to lie with your arms behind your head. It takes about 20 mins. and I had this test twice, before and after the stress test. My arms hurt a bit.

The ultrasound of the heart was the most fun. I could actually see the valves opening and closing. I could also hear my heart really loud from various views.

Anyway, I don't have much to report, but I'm glad it's over and there didn't appear to be any major problems. I let y'all know what the doc says after my appt.

Love, Mikie
  2. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I'm so glad to hear everything went well and there was no major problems. Sounds like you did really well with the stress test!!

Yes Please do keep us posted on what the Doc says!

((Hugs))
    Bluerose
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They didn't measure the heart output.

I did feel well right after exercising, but the horrible fatigue set in this afternoon. I fell asleep on the sofa. My legs are starting to ache. I can't soak in the tub because I'm wearing the monitor. I have to take it back in the morning.

The doc's office called and said the stress test was normal. The one three years ago was not and neither was the EKG done in the office. There were wave changes on two of the leads. I'll know more when I see the doc on the 31st.

Thank you all for you interest. I appreciate it.

Love, Mikie
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

I was thinking just this morning that it was getting close to the end of August and that you might have all your test results back.

When do you meet with your doc again ? You're in my thoughts.

I'm sorry your arms hurt. When you were describing your experience, I had to wonder how close that machine got ? Did it feel a bit closed in ? Is the camera close enough for you to get dizzy from it ? Sounds crazy , I know , but I have Meneier's (SP) and I get dizzy easily.

Spoil yourself tonight. Take care and I'll be thinking on ya ....

Elsa
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I see the doc on the 31st.

For the pictures, you lie on a slab which goes into a machine which is similar to, but not as enclosed as, an MRI. Everything is automatic. The camera has sensors above it and the bed adjusts to get your body as close to the camera as possible. The camera itself is flat and it scans from one side to the other and back again. It moves very slowly, stops, takes a picture, and moves again.

I just shut my eyes and relaxed. I'm not claustrophobic. Nothing moves so fast that it would make you dizzy except for when it's over. You shoot backward out of the machine. Heck, that was the best part.

Love, Mikie
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

about ME/CFS getting our hearts checked out is an excellent idea. Even if we do not have the more specific and sensitive tests done, it's important to know whether there are any other problems there as well.

I am hoping that all your tests are normal, that will mean you will only be dealing with the cardiac issues as a result of your illness, so as you make more progress these should hopefully affect you less.

Take care and I look forward to reading more feedback on this. We all learn from one another, and if we know the significance of certain tests we have a better idea as to what we should request.

love, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2005]
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

of being shot out of that machine ... Hehehe ..

Thanks for describing it for me. I might find myself in there one day. It's nice not to have to go in unprepared.

Take care,

Elsa
  8. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

I pray that all goes well for you; you are very much loved here and we miss you any time you have to be away. Take care. Jackie
  9. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

Mikie,

So glad to hear you had the cardio tests done, but sorry to hear you have started to feel fatigued.

Please be sure to post the results of your tests. I am particularly interested in what the holter monitor tests reveal.

Looking forward to what the doctor has to tell you:)

Rest up!

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have to return the monitor this morning later. I'll be glad to be unwired again. I was so tired that I slept all afternoon and fell asleep early last night. My legs ached from the walking to which I'm unaccustomed. I took 500 mgs. of acetaminophen and it helped. I actually feel relatively decent this morning but will reserve my opinion to see how the rest of the day goes.

Tansy, you are right. I have always felt that if there is nothing permanently wrong with my heart that everything should be OK as I get the pathogens out of my body. I know this flare was brought on by my trip to Atlanta when Andy was born. Even good things cause stress. It was stupid of me to drive home nonstop to beat the hurricane. I won't do that again.

Y'all might get a kick out of this: My tech was a really good looking studly young man who was so sweet. Everyone there was wonderful. Anyway, I'm not a high maintenance person, but I am a bit of a princess--believe I deserve the best of everything. I have one daughter just like me and we are known as the princesses. Our motto is: It's all about me :)

When I got in that machine, the young man told me that I just had to lie still and that the machine would do all the work, it would revolve around me.

I told him that that wouldn't be difficult as the whole world revolves around me. He got a kick out of that.

Love, Mikie
  11. Risk

Risk New Member

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your stress test. I've been thinking of you. I too felt well on the actual treadmill part, but later that day, wham! Like a truck hit me. And going under the scanner was the hardest part for me, I think I mentioned to you before that holding my arms above my head for 10 mins was difficult.

I had the cardiologist tell me right then and there that things looked good. He had no personality, (thank God he isn't my dr!). His advice was to exercise more. He also asked why I seemed to have difficulty with my left leg when the treadmill was put on the incline. Duh??? I told him I have Fibro and he looked at me as if I had two heads. Luckily, my own cardiologist is a caring and compassionate man.

Please let us know when you get your results.

Glad it's over for you and maybe now you can rest easy.

Big hugs,

Rene
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Three years ago when I had a stress test, there were changes to the S and T waves from two of the leads.

The EKG which was done just recently in my cardio's office also had some abnormalities on two of the leads. He wasn't overly concerned but did say that they now know that these kinds of things need to be checked out in women. That, and the history or heart attacks and my little strange "spells," is why he ordered all these tests.

I will be happy if all is OK. I think it's better to err on the safe side. I have to wonder whether these "spells" are panic attacks, not psychological panic attacks but rather physiological anxiety brought on by the seizure activity in the brain. Perhaps I should take my Klonopin all day long in tiny doses every day instead of just when I feel symptoms. I'm going to ask the doc about this.

I can picture your mug as I sit here. Love it!

Love, Mikie
  13. tansy

tansy New Member

I used to get a lot of these, it was really weird because I could be feeling calm emotionally yet my body was acting as though it were a panic attack. This became more obvious and pronounced during herxes.

I do not take klonopin, only a few in the UK get anti-seizure meds for ME/CFS and FM. However I did find some clues; one of which involved the vagal nerve, this is being affected by my cervical neck issues along with inflammation and borreliosis/lyme. Soon I will be tested for another infection which can contribute to these problems.

One of the bigest improvements in this area has been through the use of Recuperat-ion, this is a specifically balanced electrolyte salts combo of sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium which seem to have dampened a negative feedback loop. These salts are often referred to as the Blasi Protocol.

I do wish health professionals could see the payback after stress tests and pushing ourselves beyond our safe limits. We put everything we have, and more, into coping with appts and the physical activity they require; we are then seen as coping yet some of us may be totally wiped out and more sick for weeks afterwards.

love, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2005]
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'll see about these salts. I do know that our bodies do not use the minerals we need efficiently and often, we have to supplement them. The ones you mentioned are the ones which we so often find helpful.

It is past noon here and I'm not wiped out but rather feel better. I was wiped out yesterday and in pain, but not today. Perhaps I am coming out of the fatigue flare and some mild aerobic exercise will help me. If I still feel well tomorrow, I think I'll try swimming some laps and doing some aerobics in our pool.

I keep thinking that as more and more pathogens are wiped out of my body that I should start to recover and eventually, a little bit of aerobic exercise will feel good. I would love to get the CFIDS to the point that I no longer have the seizure activity and do not need the Klonopin. If I could get that under control with mineral salts instead, it would be a big help.

Thank you so very much for the info. Good luck with your tests. Let us know if they find another chronic infection.

Love, Mikie
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jan, I talked to both my doc and pharmacist and both agreed that a quarter to a half tablet under the tongue was an ideal way to take the Klonopin during the day. The thing is that I have always waited until I have symptoms before taking it. Since we have constant seizure activity, it makes more sense to take in continually and not just at night or when there are symptoms.

Before I do that, though, I am going to do a week of sea salt, magnesium, potassium, and calcium. The body can take what it needs and leave the rest. The Recuperat-ion is a proprietary formula and isn't distributed in the U.S. yet. I'm not sure the formula needs to be exact. Anway, there's no harm in playing around with it. If it works, I'll try cutting down on the Klonopin to see what happens. As much as it has helped me and I love it, I would like to not have to take it.

Yes, I did take the little black box back. Wouldn't you know it--two hours after returning it, I had a short "spell." I wish I had had it when the monitor was hooked up. Well, I'll see what the doc has to say. I'm glad your Mom found out what was wrong, Nanna.

Love, Mikie
  16. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I hope the results of your tests show enough to lead to effective treatment of whatever symptoms you may be having--but nothing worse.

--Laura
  17. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

what does the stress test involve? do you have to RUN on a treadmill? i think that would kill me.

meow