HAD MY EVALUATION AT WORK

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jole, Aug 3, 2006.

1. jole

jole Member

i can't believe it. After all these years of working my butt off and being so proud of my work ethics, I was really hammered. I was told I'm very knowledgeble and thorough, but entirely too slow and I miss too many days.

Well, I just recently went from full to part time, taking Wednesday's off (which was like major surgery to accomplish) in order to be able to make it the other four days.

My pain and fatigue is terrible and my boss knows that. Rarely do I have a day without pain. I told her I don't miss unless I just can't be there. She said from now on it doesn't matter how bad I feel, she expects me to be there anyway and she will find something besides filing for me to do.

She just doesn't get it. I live 14 miles from work and can't even drive when things are bad, so how am I going to get there? I walk hanging onto the walls on good days, and am in bed most days by 6 p.m. in order to make it to work the next day.

What am I going to do? We really need our insurance, and I guess I still need my pride.

Friends - Jole
  2. jole

jole Member

Thanks for responding. I am at this point seriously considering quiting work. Maybe it would do me some good to concentrate on getting well for a change instead of worrying about insurance so much.

There are so many things I would like to try, like juicing, but with work I just don't have the energy or time to do anything for my health. Just so tired of the pain and fatigue, I'm ready to give up. Will see what tomorrow brings.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

one good "Performance Evaluation" in my entire working life. It was 2 months before I retired. Did I get a raise for those two months? Don't be silly.

After a lifetime of working for a living, I drew these conclusions. (This from a workaholic and perfectionist.)

Most bosses don't know who their good employees are.

Most bosses are overpaid.

Being on good terms with boss is far more important than doing a good job.

Expecting a company to pay you back in some way for all the extra things you've done over the years is just wishful thinking.
  4. jole

jole Member

Rockgor, you are so right! Working hard and being an honest employee means nothing anymore. After all these years I still make much less than my 23 year old boss! And yet I guess it's the name of the game.

It's just hard to keep a roof over our head with nothing left but pride sometimes.:)

Battleweary - when I dropped down to 4 days at work I lost my disability. Dumb, huh? Thought it would help more than it hurt me at the time, but NOT. I have to talk to my doc about disability, but my appointment was cancelled because of her leaving town unexpectedly, so I have to wait again. And no, I don't have any notes for missed days because my doctor is not in the same town. So.....

It sounds like I'm my own worst enemy at this point, doesn't it? Just don't know how long I can continue, but I need to get my little duckies in a row I think.

Thanks for being friends and caring -
    Jole
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

file for ssdi right now....and keep working...

your not so kind of a evaluation is working in your benefit...you seemed to be almost nearing retirement age...based on being married 37 years...

so you should be a breeze to win your case...

check out disabilitysecrets.com

jodie
  6. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Jole,

I had an evaluation back in 2004. It was not very good. I was told that I was ambition but not consistent and too slow. I was also told, in so many words, that I didn't pick things up very quickly.

I do realize that me having Fibro, TMJ, migrains, sensitivities and so many other things contribute to this, BUT, the training that I received was not very good. Everyone in the office has said that the training is terrible, BUT, if you have fibro or any other painful, fatigue like illness it will be very hard.

My self esteem took a turn for the worse, and was depressed and felt like a failure. I tried extra hard the next year and finally received a very good review.

This is one of the reasons I can't stand starting new jobs, because I need very good training and nowadays things are not like that, they just want you to know everything. Sorry, I'm rambling on and on it's just so frunstrating. Hugs, Chelz.
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

had a boss like mine. I keep waiting for her to get fed up with me, but she never does! She even gave me an extra raise last year when I asked for it!

I miss a lot of days, but most weeks if I have to call in I can just work on another day if I am able. I have used almost all my sick time too. My boss even lets me take work home.

I have been working there for 18 years, though, and started before I got sick. So I guess I established a good rep before I got sick and that made a difference.
    I don't have any advice, except to tell you not to let what she says hurt your pride!
    Hang in there!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2006]
  8. jake123

jake123 New Member

So unfair - this should not happen - my sister who is 59 was "laid off" because of her work being spread out over two cities. Mind you she had 30 years of real estate experience. She left last Friday morning and there was someone sitting in her desk Friday afternoon = a lady about 35 yrs. old.
    Of course they gave her 12 wks salary (and papers to sign that essentially said she wouldn't sue them) and said they would highly recommended her, well, sure she's always been a darn good worker. She has worked all her life. But we all know what it is. She was let go because of her age.
    That is against the law. That should not happen anymore in this country. She could take them to court and maybe get about $25,000 but they would withhold her severance pay and recommendations. IT JUST ISN'T FAIR.