Had my first trigger point massage Sunday...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Abbycat, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

from a friend who is a newly graduated massage therapist. She admits that she is not certified yet in trigger point massage, (that is an extra training course), but she has had a lot of the basics.

Yesterday, I had so much relief, and today I'm sore as if I'd been beat up. But in a good way, if that makes any sense.

The spots she concentrated on were not where I thought my tightest spots were. She worked on either side of my spine and I couldn't believe how tender that was. Almost couldn't stand it.

I do as much self massage as I can and it helps a lot, but she just blew away my notions of massage. She was feeling the tightness in my muscles and worked at the worst spots.

I work at the spots that give me the most pain, which are not necessarily the location of the trigger points. I'm really hopeful that she and I can work out how to get me out of pain.

The cool thing is that she really wants to be a good therapist. I know I can teach her some of the "hot spots" of FMS or at least mine. She said it was a pleasure to work on someone who really needed her skills and not just women who wanted a spa experience.

I'm keeping her.

Abbycat
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

Glad that you liked the massage and got some relief from it.

kriket
  3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I have been blessed to be able to have myofascial and trigger point massages on a regular basis. They have helped more than I have words to express.

Yes, I try to do what I can myself but I can not reach all the places and I also found that where I was hurting was not the cause of the problem. I always am shocked how tender some of the areas are...like along your spine.

I hope you can continue to get the help you need.
  4. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

Well, today my spine felt wonderful, but my upper back and my shoulders are spasming so bad that I've been forced to take muscle relaxants and hydrocodone, plus and antinflammitory just to keep from screaming.

My right arm is killing me. Shooting pains, elbow, forearm and wrist are aching. Has anyone had this reaction before? I don't know what to make of this.

I've got a rheumatologist appt in the morning so I'll ask her. She doesn't seem too sympathetic in the fibro department though, so we'll see what she says.

Abbycat
  5. rhodysmom

rhodysmom New Member

i've been having massage work done reglarly for years i hate to think how much pain i would have if not for the muscle work. i also do reiki,acupuncture, relexology, pilates,i just started qigong. i'm still in pain every day, no one in my family takes it seriously. mostseem to think i'm just lazy. in the last 26 months i've lost my mother, had 2 spinal surgeries, lost my business due to disability after surgeries, had to fight to get disability from my personal disability insurance, left my second job, moved home (200mi) to be with my widowed dad & developmentally disabled brother, and dad's been dxed with alzheimer's. i don't have a dx of FM or anything else yet, but going by symptoms i fit right in. i am soooo tired, and can't really sleep, can't concentrate, i'm already on most of the drugs you list-lyrica, klonopin, celexa, soma, and oxycodone when necessary. i am just tired of it all. how do you all cope? I need to stay sharp enough tomake sure dad gets allhis meds on time and is kept active and somewhat engaged and thinking to helpthe alzheimer's. thanks for listening tothe rant. i just felt like i was going to explode today if i didn't get some of that off my my chest.
    Lisa
  6. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Rhodysmom

Are you new here? Welcome to the board. It sounds like you have been having a really tough time lately.

Just a suggestion. If you post this information in your own post and let know you are new here you will get a lot more replies and help that way.

We are a very friendly bunch. Introduce yourself to the group and ask any questions that you need to.

hugs Redwillow