Had my MRI - no results yet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Danielle, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hello,

I had the mri of my head on saturday. I took 1 1/2 vicodin and 2 lorazepam. I was feeling pretty calm when I went in. When he said he was ready to put me in I closed my eyes and I could feel something being hooked around my head to hold it in place. I then was put in the tube. I kept my eyes closed the whole time because I didn't want to freak out being in the tube. I almost fell asleep.

Now at least I know I can go through it. Now I'm a little nervous what they might find. If anything. They are checking me out for headaches. Funny thing is I haven't have a headache now for 3 weeks.

Danielle
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have had 3 MRI's on my head and the first one was to rule out a pituitary tumor. I had no sedative and I thought I was going to lose my mind. I did keep my eyes shut. They put a cloth over my eyes but it was touching my nose and I took it off and just would wring it for the stress.

Second MRI was due to FMS symptoms and I had a sedative with that one. It went really well.

Third MRI was to rule out Chiari and they gave me Valium 5 mg. which didn't touch me because I had already been on 1.5 mg. of Xanax a day. I needed more of the Valium, but it did help to relax me some.

All MRI's were negative for any problems and happy to say I hope I don't need anymore of them.

Hope your MRI turns out negative too. I used to get a lot of headaches from FMS until I went on Prozac for chronic pain. Now I don't have them very often anymore.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. Danielle

Danielle New Member

that I went through it as well as I did. I felt pretty loopy when I went in with all the medicine. I knew if I had opened my eyes it probably would have been bad. I just layed there and waited for it to be over. I have really bad anxiety at times. I knew I had to get through this so I just tried to stay calm.

Danielle
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Glad you did okay! I never had clostrophobia till I had an MRI. I was actually doing really well and had dozed off in spite of the noise and closeness, but the muscle disease I have caused a very rare response of static electricity building up in my body.

I suddenly felt a sharp pain running down my arm and had severe nausea, like they describe a heart attack. I tried to stay very still and just breathe deeply, but then had a huge shock like I had stuck something in an electrical socket and went numb from my neck down.

I asked them to stop and pull me out...I couldn't move for a while and felt really weird. I wish they had done an EKG at the time, but the technicians said I'd had a panic attack and didn't believe me.

I finally called the manufacturer of the MRI machine and they said that could happen with certain ion channel disorders like the one I had and that I should not do any MRIs in the future. Wish they had warned me in advance :)

Jan