Had phone interview with Private Disability Company

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kirschbaum26, Sep 11, 2006.

1. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Just had 30 minute phone interview with my private disability company (UNUM Provident). I was very cautious about how I answered the questions...as I truly felt that they were out to trip me up. At the moment, I am filling for RA only, but listed all my other problems as well.

I am hoping that the medical review will go okay. My rheumatologist reported that I could not do much on their checkoff sheet, and the things that I could do, were very limited in time and scope. I have a 70% disability policy with them, and I am concerned that they will not pay, as I have heard so many horror stories. I do get State Disability for another 6 months, which they will offset, and then UNUM provident will pay me the full 70%. I could almost live on the 70%...so I am ambivalent on what I should do about filing for SSDI benefits.

Just thought I would tell you all about my experience.

Ingrid
  2. Greeneyes2

Greeneyes2 New Member

Here's hoping everything goes smoothly.

I thought I would let you know that you probably do not have a choice of whether you file for SSDI benefits or not. You will have to as most long term disability companies only pay the difference between what SSD pays and your 70% benefit.

Plus you may find that the SSD is more money.

If you know you won't be going back to work for at least a year, you might as well get the process started. It is time consuming, but you can find a lot of help on this site.

Gentle hugs,
    Denise
  3. loucindy

loucindy New Member

ingrid be careful about depression being an issue if you are dealing with LTD because most policys have a clause that says if you are depressed they may only have to pay you for 24 months, mine did. i also have ra, oa, ddd, and an overlay of fibromyalgia. i have a different ltd company than you. but they did require me to file for ssd. i filed march of 2002 recieved the decision on aug. 9th 2006, no money yet but maybe the hard part is over for me, unless ltd now decides to cut me off, the dr. makes the difference, good luck cindylou
  4. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Just wanted to thank you all for the advice.

I posted a while back about my doctor telling me that I should be careful about any kind of "mental illness". There was a question on his form that said something like "is mental illness or depression a contributing factor in this patient's disability". He told me that he knew this company and that is why he was so careful, and to state NO. I do not take any anti-depressants...so that helps a bit as well.

The company rep told me that I did not HAVE to apply for SSDI until it had been a year since the start of my disability, or until my doctor decided that I would not be ready to return to work for more than a full year.

Thanks again.

Ingrid
  5. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Ingrid-
    Good luck to you- I heard they were one of the worse. So I would obtain as much info from the Erisa lawyers as you can. I had applied for LTD last year from my Company- they put me through h---. I could not deal with it and they kept telling me to apply for SSD- my second denial, I gave up and did not apply for SSD until june- should have before BUT i was trying to gear up to go to college.

Just keep all correspondence back and forth and really check out with some professional help- They can be dirty doers... Beware
    Hugs Janet
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I have heard that UNUM Provident is one of the worst, but they recently had some sort of class-action lawsuit against them. So hopefully, you'll have a better chance.
    It's a good idea to talk to an ERISA lawyer about your claim.

Good luck.

Kholmes