Had sleep study done last night

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by namow, Apr 5, 2007.

1. namow

namow New Member

It was awful, only got 4 hours of sleep. The woman doing the test had the tv loud and then her cell phone rang a couple of times...I didn't like that at all.

The only thing is that she said that I don't have sleep apnea and my snore is very soft. The rest I have to wait for the results from the doctor.

I am pooped today!
  2. namow

namow New Member

Completely agree with you on that one. I put on the papers that I had to fill out this morning that the noise bothered me, I hope they take that into consideration.
  3. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Glad your sleep study is behind you! Believe it or not; I tried to sleep at TWO different sleep studies & got less sleep than you! I went thinking it would be no biggie...Ended up tossing & turning & trying to relax all night long! It was awful. It IS frustrating when the attendants/ technicians make noise.

You bring up a VERY good point for anyone doing a sleep study: Make sure you write down anything that disrupted your night's sleep & if this was a typical or non-typical night's sleep for you. The sleep centers usually have you fill out a pre-sleep & after-sleep questionaire. Even if they don't ask you specifically; make sure they know how your night at the center compares to your usual nights at home.

I have my 3rd sleep study coming up this month. This time I am staying into the next day to test for daytime sleepiness. I figure I should be able to fall asleep at SOME point if I'm awake all night again!

Happy Dreams. Hope you get your results quickly.

Hugs,
    Annie
  4. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Maybe your snore was soft because you never got into a really deep sleep due to the darn cell phone! I'm glad that you entered this information in the paperwork. If it's not mentioned when you go over the report with your physician I would definately say something. How can this be accurate if you're repeatedly awakened?

I'm scheduled for a sleep study on the 24th and have trouble sleeping while away from home. I couldn't imagine getting much sleep at all if the same type of noise was happening.

Ironic that you'll now have to recouperate from a sleep study by sleeping.
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

It is hard enough to sleep on a 'normal' night for most of us, but it is unacceptable for the tech to disturb the patients unless it is for a technical reason (to re-attach electrodes, etc.). I would definitely complain to your doctor.

I've had two sleep studies. There were several inconsistencies in the first one, and I asked so many questions that I guess the doctor got nervous and the clinic offered me a free repeat. With both, I followed my husband's advice and took earplugs, my own pillows, a quilt, and whatever else I needed to be comfortable.

Having a loud television and a ringing cell was a very rude, and possibly test-disturbing situation, and the tech should have known better.
  6. dano2718

dano2718 New Member

I had a sleep study done and my doctor offered a perscription for two Rozerems (I think that's what it was, anyway, not a hypnotic, just gets you into sleep). I said no, I usually could fall asleep. Bad choice. I had my pulse oximeter fall off twice just as I was getting to sleep - the machine sounded alarms till I put it back on - the second time around 2:30 AM, I just laughed thinking about how ironic it was. Slept from 3 - 6 AM and results were no apnea, normal sleep cycle. Not very useful.

Anyway, you may ask your doctor about Rozerem to get you started in a foreign environment.
  7. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

I hardly slept AT ALL at my sleep studies. Amazingly, the Sleep Center Dr. & P.A. were still able to see some of the problems with my sleep! I couldn't believe that they had enough data to tell anything. My first study felt so poor to me...I told them verbally & on the questionaire that I hardly slept & that this was not my usual routine.

Just like Juloo, the sleep center had me come back for another night. They looked at the data from the 2 nights & concluded that I had Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome & mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I was given a CPAP machine to treat these conditions over 2 years ago.

Some of the newer CPAP machines are even used diagnostically because they have "Smart Cards" in them. During CPAP use, they record all kinds of information onto a plastic card. When you return for follow up appointments, the Sleep Center downloads the info to their computer & makes a print-out of what you do at night.They can see many things about your sleep on the printout.

Sometimes, if you are borderline, they will do a trial with the CPAP machine. I think that the P.A. I saw was shocked when she looked at the data from my card at my first follow-up! I have periods during the night when the machine's pressure setting gets very high. (To keep my airway open.) She told me that she was surprised at the high pressure settings. This is something they never saw when I spent the night!

After experimenting with a gazillion masks & headgear; I'm finally "at one" with my CPAP machine! I am miserable without it. Wow, what a difference it makes in my physical state. It didn't "cure" my Fibro, but it sure helps tremendously.(improved sleep & less muscle pain)

Hugs,
    Annie
  8. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Having all these leads wrapped around me, a strange bed, and knowing that someone is going to watch you, make me so restless and I had trouble going to sleep for the first one.

Hell, I felt like a giant sea monster had its' tentatcles around me.

I have had two subsequent to that, however, and I took my own pillow, and things with me and had mellowed out.

THE TECHNICIAN AND THE FACILITY SHOULD NOT HAVE NOISE, LIGHTS, OR ANYTHING WHICH CAN DISTURB YOU. IF IT DOES OR THEY DO, THEN I WOULD HAVE IT OUT WITH THEM. THEY ARE NOT ETHICAL.