Had the root canal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by leann_sweeney, Oct 13, 2002.

1. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

And when the dentist got to the root, her comment was "How have you stood this pain? This nerve is unbelievably inflammed." I felt like this was a metaphor for my life! But did she offer me anything more than my fioricet? No. Thank goodness I had some Vicodin from 6 years ago. And it has been working--if I take it every 3 hours. Now the inevitable fatigue has set in. I have slept for %80 of this day. But contrary to the last root canal, I knew to get on top of the pain early. I truly believe that pain control is the key to this DD. And to h--- with those who think I'm some kind of addictive personality. The dentist's comments only made it more clear to me that I actually have a very high pain tolerance and that what we are all feeling, symptom wise, is much more worse than most folks will ever experience in their lifetime, much less understand.
  2. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

And when the dentist got to the root, her comment was "How have you stood this pain? This nerve is unbelievably inflammed." I felt like this was a metaphor for my life! But did she offer me anything more than my fioricet? No. Thank goodness I had some Vicodin from 6 years ago. And it has been working--if I take it every 3 hours. Now the inevitable fatigue has set in. I have slept for %80 of this day. But contrary to the last root canal, I knew to get on top of the pain early. I truly believe that pain control is the key to this DD. And to h--- with those who think I'm some kind of addictive personality. The dentist's comments only made it more clear to me that I actually have a very high pain tolerance and that what we are all feeling, symptom wise, is much more worse than most folks will ever experience in their lifetime, much less understand.
  3. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

geez. That's then vicodin talking? LOL. How about "far worse?"
  4. donmia

donmia New Member

Glad your root canal is over.I hope you will be feeling better soon. I hate the dentist. lol
    I also have a high tolerance to pain. I had knee surgery quite a few years ago. and, the surgeon siad he didnt know how i walked around. I guess we should be glad. But, still pain is pain. right. I noticed your name is Sweeney. My last name is sweeney too. Well feel better.
    Donna
  5. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

We are fellow sweeneys and proud of it! (mine is just by marriage!) I know some recommended against the root canal, but my insurance would not pay for a bridge if I "refused" the standard "acceptable" treatment. Insurance companies. Can't live with them. Can't live without them. Sigh.
  6. donmia

donmia New Member

Insurance companies make you crazy dont they. I am also a sweeney by marraige. Speaking of ins co. my dr told me that it would be better if i took plaquinil instead of the generic. But then said the ins co. would never pay for it.
    But my labs were good this time. so i guess the generic is ok. lol
    Donna
  7. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

I had a rootcanal done a couple weeks ago. I was in horrible pain, but I think because I control myself so well, the dentists I had to deal with didn't seem to "get it" that I was in pain. the dentist seemed to think I could wait until the next week so he could take a look under the cap on the tooth ( it was loose) then when he sent me directly to the root canal dentist, he turned around and decided the cap just needed gluing down. He sends me back to the original dentist . Then original
    dentist decides to find out for sure, decides I do need a root canal. He says, well , we will try to fit you in somewhere the next couple days. Thats when I said, you better get me an appointment right now! That helped, and I got fit in somewhere. BUt I still think maybe we don't express how much pain, or show it on the outside enough for people to realize.
  8. marinemom

marinemom New Member

that you also add Advil to your pain meds. It's an anti-inflamatory (?) and will ease your swelling and pain too!

Kathy
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Antibiotics help clear up the infection which causes the pain and swelling.

I have had so much work done on my teeth that I can almost go to sleep in the dentist's chair. I also have a very high pain tolerance to most things. This is not true of our FMS pain. I also have to get on top of the pain before it becomes unbearable. Fortunately, the Guai has helped so much with pain that I seldom need to go for the big guns like Morphine. Unfortunately, my skin care treatment products are interferring with the Guai and I'm starting to feel more pain. It's a four month regimen and I don't know whether I'll be able to hold out that long or not. I may just do it for two months and then go on the twice-a-week schedule because I need the Guai. On the positive side, the brown hormone spots have faded significantly and a lot of precancerous spots have come to the surface and sloughed off.

Anyway, I got off an a tangent here, but I wish you a speedy recovery and hope your root canal works out as well as mine.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]