Had to put my dog down today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GBHope, Feb 23, 2006.

1. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I know that's nothing compared to what we go through on a daily basis, but was still very sad. This was the best dog I ever had. I was afraid I made her sick, but docs told me know. My dog had what I think they said was autimmune mediated hemolytic anemia. I went and said goodbye before they put her to sleep. There was not much hope and much to expense and pain for her to try and save her. Only a 50/50 chance. Not very good odds. My other dog has not figured out what's going on yet. I will miss her very much!!!!

GBHope
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I feel so badly for you having to put your beloved pet down, but it is better if they don't suffer. You did the right thing and remember your pet in spirit world will always be around you.

I lost 2 cats from sudden death, so I do know how you feel. It never gets easy, does it.

I think it is the only negative in having a pet is that the just don't live as long as we do.

Hugs and prayers,
    Faye
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I'm so sorry you had to put your down.
    I have had to do that a few times, it's horrible.
    If your'e like me they are part of the family.
    I grieve just as I would if it were a human memeber.
    Your other dog may grieve too. Mine wouldn't eat for a few day's and just wandered around looking lost.
    I'll say a prayer for you.
    Try to take it easy today, that situation is very stressful.
    Grieve if you need to.
    Take care, Claudia
  4. kbak

kbak Member

GBHope,
    I am so sorry about your dog. I think losing a pet you love is just as tramatic as losing any family member, or at least it is for me! My thoughts are with you during this tough time!

K.
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm sorry that you are going through this. It is an awful experience to have to put a dearly loved pet to sleep...sometimes I wonder why I got another cat after having to put my previous cat to sleep.

Do not put your grief down...it is a loss. Take care and know I'm sorry.

Sue
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You loved your doggie enough to do this for her. THe hurt will dim a bit. I know I put both doggies down last year within a month of one another, one had terminal lung cancer disvovered the day she died, and vet said she would not last the day, and my other had been paraplegic for a long time and just was wasting away in the end.

I send prayers for you as I know how heartbreaking it is. I have said I will never get another dog as I could not bear it.

Big Hugz and know that she is out of pain now in in doggie heaven running through the meadow.

Love Anne C
  7. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

I thought you might post a message about Brandi, I am glad you did, it helps to hear from others. Take care, Brandi is ok now, and she loves you so much, she always will. You are the reason she was here for 8 years, and you are the reason she was such a good dog. What a lucky baby she was, so many doggies dont have that chance. Take care, Hugs, Pat
    [This Message was Edited on 02/23/2006]
  8. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I really appreciate your kind words and thoughts. I know she is better off now, but it just breaks my heart to have to let her go. We have enough loss to deal with with this DD. I know I did the humane thing for her, but it was so hard seeing how sick she was today and having to tell her goodbye. I told her please not to forget me because I would never forget her and I told her I loved her. I hope she understood. She was just so weak and listless and there was not much hope and she would have suffered trying to save her with all kinds of treatments and quite likely wouldn't have helped. I hope she is happy up there in doggy heaven. I hated to put my cat down 8 years ago too. Now my dad can have both my pets to keep him company in heaven. He just passed away in August. I don't think I can take much more. My husband said look at it as God gave them to me for the time that they were here, dad, cat, and dog. Take care all.

GBHope
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I know how hard it is, heartbreaking. It is true time will make you feel better.

Allow yourself to grief and remember the good times.

Sue in Ontario
  10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

sorry for your loss..but there is something i do envy about if i were an animal....at least if you have a good owner they are legally able to put our animals to sleep and stop the pain and suffering...

i give you a great big hug for havig the strength to do this for you precious one....you did the most humane thing you could for your friend...

time will heal...

jodie
  11. crumpton

crumpton New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I just adopted one about a month ago and I would miss him dearly already.

I read a poem about a dog that had died and gone over the Rainbow Bridge to live. I came across this while I was looking on the internet for a dog. I am going to try and find it to post for you. I hope that I can find it because it was such a comforting poem.

12. pawprints

pawprints New Member

It is so sad that our pets have to leave us. It is also sad for the other animals left behind. Just takes lots of time and tears.
  13. GBHope

GBHope New Member

My other dog is depressed and I just went up the store to get the only dog food I know for sure he likes. He is eating some treats from me, so all is not lost. I think he will eat the food I got him eventually. He is glued to my behind right now. Poor baby!

GBHope
  14. Bambi

Bambi New Member

taking care of my 16 year old Schnauzer now. She is in heart failure, and though I've got her to where she isn't having alot of the symptoms they usually do, she is losing weight fast and needs care like an old old lady. It's very very hard for me and her but she's not in
    pain apparent, so I will help her to the end. If pain starts to look evident or she can't get up at all I will have to do the best by her.

Take care and take it easy. Time will ease it some, but it will hurt so bad for now I know! Bless you!
  15. MamaR

MamaR New Member

GBHope

I am so... so sorry for your loss.

I had to put my cats down. I know how much that it hurts.

Big Hug to you.....Mari
  16. GBHope

GBHope New Member

when we lose our pets unfortunately, but I know I'm glad she is not miserable anymore. I love her to much to let that go on.

GBHope
  17. Musica

Musica New Member

GBHope, don't say it doesn't compare, losing a pet like that is a HUGE thing. Furbabies are family. I'm sorry for your loss.
  18. marw

marw New Member

and I am so sorry!! This is the worst thing that happens, as far as I am concerned. THey are our babies. THey love us unconditionally. I thought it would kill me when I had to put my last one down.

Please, be very kind to yourself, take time to grieve, and allow yourself to heal. There is a good web site for pet grief....(gosh, this fibrofog...just when you want the name of something important and can't remember it)...I think it is called Rainbow Bridge. Try typing that in.

Your fur baby will be in heaven with my furbaby, and eventually may send you another companion. Mine did. I now have another dog, but I firmly believe he was sent to me by my other dog.

I will be thinking of you!

Margaret
  19. Each time I've seen this post's title on the board today, I've taken a second to think of you, and your other dog today, and wondered how you were doing.

I'm truly sorry you had to put your dog down. I hope that you DO know that you did do the right thing of course, for her..

Sometimes there's just not enough money, treatments, or pain medicines in the world, for our animals. It's really sad, but, unfortunately a part of this life.

Our pets though, are the luckiest animals on this earth, they are here for a little while, we are blessed to have them in our lives, and they live the life while they are here.

We buy them the best of foods, they get treats, baths, they get their nails trimmed when needed, when sick, they see the vet, long haired breeds get their hair trimmed, brushed, etc when needed by us, they get their own bedding areas (usually ours! lol and then some!), they are kept warm in the winter, cool in the summer.

They do not have to roam the street as the poor unfortunate abandoned strays do, they get to be our dear sweet, spoiled pets, while they are here with us, :)

I have a 4 year old beagle/dachshund mix, adopted from the Humane Society, and a 5 & a half year old Pug runt, rescued after having been hit by a car at the age of 5 months in the middle of winter. They are my little clown babies.

My pug has been with me since 6 months into my illness, almost as if she was sent here to be my little companion, as Pugs are not really active dogs, she is my little couch potato, but she also entertains me with our Beagle mix.

Again, I'm very sorry for what you had to do today, I know it was probably one of the hardest things you've had to do, and at the same time, one of the most sefless acts you can do, as well...

Take care,

I hope you can rest well, thinking of you & your family,

Laura

20. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I feel for you we had to do the same to our dog boxing day I still have tears every day
    Linda