Had to take dog to Rainbow Bridge yesterday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bambi, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I have been taking care of our 17 year old Schnauzer female for quite awhile. She's been in heart failure, but I had gotten her so much better with Fish Oil,
    half a baby aspirin and acidophilus as well as her seizure med. The vet never expected her to go this long, but she tried SO hard and kept going. She even went out to potty right up to yesterday morning. She wore a diaper witha human depends pad just in case, but rarely had an accident.

I wanted so much for her to hang in for my birthday last month and then my mom's two days later. She did. She was a truly beautiful creature, as a baby she had her first Schnauzer haircut at only about 9 weeks and looked like a perfect adult queen. Everyone admired her. She loved to go for walks for years. My daughter's dog
    would try to play and would put her front
    paws up on Penny's back. She didn't like that at all so when we'd get to my daughter's driveway, she'd pick up the leash and pull back to try to go in another direction.

She was so easy to housebreak and such a sweet little growler (she'd been born where the lady had day care and she'd been the only one to growl when the kids tried to play with her, so she needed an adult only home), she was never mean but did love to growl over toys etc.. We'd get her those big balls at the grocery store and she'd get up on them and try to kick them backwards through her back legs. She'd bark and bark at those balls and loved them.

She slept in a crate the first year, and we'd gotten another female shortly after her (who died a few months ago). Abby was the quiet "mom" to Penny even though a month younger in age. If she thought Penny was being to rowdy she'd go stand beside her and Penny would sit down. They were a special pair. Penny loved ME and Abby loved everyone.

It was hard but I finally got her to sleep with me and she did for years. Then when she started to get Arthritis aches and pains she wanted to sleep in the dog
    bed. I had a regular pillow topped by a
    cut out piece of waffle bed topping and then a flannel pillow case over all. In this last year I've been rolling a towel up and putting it in a king sized flannel
    pillow case so it would wrap around her back and work as a pillow too. It seemed to comfort her to have it against her back. She had a special fluffy blanket.

Yesterday, well the night before, she started to have her back legs convulse and yesterday around noon she had a bad seizure. By the time we took her to the vet she slept there the whole time in my
    arms. The legs had kept her up (and me) nearly all night) and she was just in general...tired. They gave her a first shot to relax her, though she was asleep
    already. Then about five minutes later the main one. I petted her head and told her I loved her. She went peacefully and
    had no idea what was happening.

My husband and I have cried all last night and this morning. We went to the Home store and got a special box to bury
    her in, lined with the waffle topper in a pillow case, her arm draped over her favorite toy I've had to keep put away and her wrapped in one of my flannel night gowns. Then I put some (I can't spell it) poupourri I had made over all and then the top. She is buried next to
    her best buddy, my Dane we lost a few months ago and my 18 year old Chihuahua I lost several years ago. I will always love her and never forget her..as long as
    I live to remember, she lives.

Sorry it's so long but I wanted to share
    my loss. It hurts so much!
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I am SO sorry for your loss, here is a big but gentle hug for you <<<<hugs>>>>.

I know exactly how you feel, it hurt's just as much as losing any member of the family.

I wish I had some comforting word's for you, but I know the only thing you want is to have her back.

She sounded like a wonderful girl, and at least now she is no longer in pain or having to struggle anymore. I know you didn't want to she her hurt.

You are in my thought's and prayer's,

Claudia
  3. kbak

kbak Member

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet dog! For those of us that love our pets as friends, it's a tough thing to say good-bye. My heart aches for you.

HUGS!
    K.
  4. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I lost my best friend February 23 and it still hurts. I loved her very much. Wish they could live longer to keep us company.

GBHope
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

My 15 year old Aussie went the same way last August, it is so heartbreaking. We had her in diapers, pads etc. carried her outdoors, but she then lost the use of her front legs too and was wasting away.

It is terribly sad and your storyt made me cry as I miss mine so much. Like you, our other doggie went a few weeks before her.

I cannot bring myself to get another doggie but when I am feeling better I will go over to our no kill shelter and exercise the dogs there.

Much love and hugz. I have a wonderful, old poem called The Little Dog Angel-sometime if you want me to send it I will, but it would be too sad now.

Love Anne C
  6. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

I know how hard it is to lose such a special and close member of the family. Hugs to your and your hubby.
  7. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i am so sad for your loss....please extend my sympathies to your dh as well...it truly is like a person has died...

i lost my mini schnauzer last may..,.he was only 4....he swallowed a round rubber thing and it got into his intestines and tore them up....it didnt' show on the x rays...i was with my 5 yr old son at the vet, it was one of those situations where i couldn't get the shot to him fast enough....he was crying in pain, he settled down when i got close tohim but, i knew the surgery would have been tough and he probably would not have survived it...the vet gave him terrible odds......i didn't even go to a private room with him...the vet gave him the shot with me hanging over the treatment cage because i didn't want him moved because it was so painful...i was howling and crying and didn't care who saw or heard ....it was awful....my son was alone in the waiting room wondering what was happening to his little guy...all the staff cleared out of thr room and left me alone...i am bawling telling the story...

i hope that by telling you my horrid story you have some peace in the long life you had with you friend and the peacfulway she crossed that bridge.....also, i thought i could never get another pet...yeah, right...a month later a chihuahua pup was advertised in the paper just as i was doing some research on thr breed....she is staring at me right now and fussing....she got upset when i was crying! i think it really helped me work through the loneliness of the loss of my Tobie....her name is Chanel....like the perfume...

it sounds like you have healthy pets and take great care of them to have them so long....

i just wanted to send my sympathies....hugs to you both...
  8. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

Just wanted to send a big ((((((H U G )))))). It is hard for us animal lovers when our pets are sick or have passed/have had to be put to sleep. I hope that you and your husband can find gentle comfort at this time of sorrow over your loss. Animals are so loving and give unconditionally :>) I can't imagine life without pets. LOL Carla
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

sorry for your loss..

you will get through it in time...

jodie
  10. futurehope

futurehope New Member

My dogs are part of my family. I love them very much.

I have been thru this many times and I feel for you and am so very sorry.

I have a poem for you:

They say memories are golden, well, maybe that is true,
    I never wanted memories, I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you, a million times I cried,
    if love alone could have saved you, you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly, in death I love you still,
    in my heart you hold a place, no-one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway, and heartache make a lane,
    I'd walk the path to Heaven, and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken, and nothing seems the same,
    but as God calls us one by one, the chain will link again.

God bless my pets.

----------------------------------------

I have a wall frame and this poem is on that frame, I have pictures of my dogs that have passed in this frame along with the poem. It is on my wall.

----------------------------------------

I hope this helps you in some way.

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm so sorry. To me that is one of the hardest things to do in life. My cats and dogs are my family and my heart breaks at the mere thought of that day coming.

Right now my dog Eddy has a hacking cough that is bothering both of us. The vet put him on antibiotics and allergy meds, but it's not any better.

I cried reading your post. I just have to tell myself that the time they are with us is worth the pain of losing them. I know in my case that is very true. I always say that I will never get another pet... and then I do.

Again, I'm so sorry.
    Tigger
  12. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I am so sorry that you lost your baby. But, just remember
    the precious little thing will be waiting for you at
    "The Rainbow Bridge"

((( all kinds of hugs)))))) cathugs Ruth
  13. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

You have my sympathy. It is hard to lose a pet no matter what kind it is nor the length of time you have had it.

Seventeen years old is very long for a dog. I had 2 cats and one died suddenly at 14 and the other at 9 years old. My current cat, Biscuit will be 12 on 5/23.

I know how much it hurts.

Big hugs,
    Faye
  14. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

its hard i know, we are all here for you xxxx
  15. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

for your loss, it is like losing a fanily member but knowing that in the end she went peacefully.

I knoiw how hard it is to lose a pet.

I lost a dashound (spelling?), she was a sweet dog and when I was so sick before I had my first female surgery she didn't want to leave my side except to go potty and eat.

One day she got bit by a copperhead snake and I was so scared that I would lose her then but I took her to the vet and he said as long as she couldn't lick it she would be fine. She did do fine and got well quickly.

But then about two months later she was hit by a car and died, she was like my baby, we had a fenced in yard but someone had forgotten to close the gate, it was a busy morning b/c I was getting ready for a wedding shower I was giving my step-sister, so my husband and I were loading things in the car so I am not sure who left the gate open and it doesn't matter anyway.

I didn't even want to leave her then even though she was gone.

Then we have also lost one other dog but she was stolen from our yard and we never found out who did it.

The next pet that I lost and really miss is a hamster I had, it was so sweet and never bit anyone besides my husband. I lost him about 6mths ago and I still miss him.

Now I have 4 dogs but planning to give away one. There is three males and one female, I am planning on getting the female fixed and then try to find a good home for her. She had two male puppies and I am keeping them, she is really not a very good mother to them.

The daddy I have had for a long time and love him to death. He is so sweet, and loving, I could never give him away. The puppies seem like they are going to have his temperment.

Well I am sorry for your loss, Here is a gentle hugs for you ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))
  16. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I also have Minnie schnauzers.We had 5 now 4 it is so sad when we loose a loved one...

Mine are like our children.

But like me I'm sure you gave her a wonderful life.

You hang in there OK.

Sue
  17. pawprints

pawprints New Member

about your special dog. I know how bad it feels to lose a part of our lives.

I hope you can remember all the good times you shared.
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is never easy. It is a testiment to how much we love our pets and how much love they give to us.

Love, Mikie
  19. Jordane

Jordane New Member

It sounds like you were a really great mommie to your dog.And I am truly sorry for your loss.My dog also had seizures,it was so hard to watch him go thru them,it breaks your heart a little more each time.We too had to take him to the vet and have him put to sleep.He was 16yrs old,that was one of the hardest things I have had to do.But like you I held him in my arms and talked to him while the Dr. gave him the needle.
    My heart goes out to you all!!
    Jordane