Hair Analysis Results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swedeboy, Feb 5, 2007.

1. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

My Hair analysis shows I am slighty high in arsenic and silver. Not sure what to make of it. I have heard mercury toxic people can show low levels of mercury in their hair.

(I saw a documentary on PBS and it revealed how autistic kids showed very low levels of mercury in their hair compared to 'healthy' kids. But when both the healthy and autistic kids were tested through urine after a provocation test, the autistic kids had very high levels of mercury compared to the healthy kids.

Inconclusion the PBS documentary expressed that autistic people did not excrete mercury well and so toxicity developed, especially so after thimersol [mercury preservative] vaccines. The documentary said that thimersol vaccinated kids were six times more likely to develope autism. I was mistakingly vaccinated twice with thimersol vaccines)

Direct Laboratory Services
    300 Mariners Plaza #320
    Mandeville , LA 70448

POTENTIALLY TOXIC ELEMENTS
    TOXIC RESULT REFERENCE PERCENTILE
    ELEMENTS µg/g RANGE 68th 95th

Aluminum, mine is: 2.2 ---- normal range is: < 7.0

Antimony 0.019 < 0.066

Arsenic 0.095 < 0.080

Beryllium < 0.01 < 0.020

Bismuth 0.019 < 0.060

Cadmium 0.025 < 0.15

Lead 0.10 < 2.0

Mercury 0.25 < 1.1

Platinum < 0.003 < 0.005

Thallium < 0.001 < 0.010

Thorium < 0.001 < 0.005

Uranium 0.011 < 0.060

Nickel 0.09 < 0.40

Silver 0.21 < 0.12

Tin 0.07 < 0.30

Titanium 0.53 < 1.0

Total Toxic Representation
    ESSENTIAL AND OTHER ELEMENTS
    RESULT REFERENCE PERCENTILE
    ELEMENTS µg/g RANGE 2.5th 16th 50th 84th 97.5th

Calcium, mine is: 219 normal range is: 200- 750

Magnesium 31 25- 75

Sodium 45 12- 90

Potassium 20 9- 40

Copper 11 10- 28

Zinc 230 130- 200

Manganese 0.07 0.15- 0.65

Chromium 0.46 0.20- 0.40

Vanadium 0.065 0.018- 0.065

Molybdenum 0.026 0.025- 0.064

Boron 0.81 0.40- 3.0

Iodine 0.22 0.25- 1.3

Lithium < 0.004 0.007- 0.023

Phosphorus 194 160- 250

Selenium 1.3 0.95- 1.7

Strontium 0.39 0.30- 3.5

Sulfur 52200 44500- 52000

Barium 0.22 0.16- 1.6

Cobalt 0.015 0.013- 0.035

Iron 10 5.4- 13

Germanium 0.030 0.045- 0.065

Rubidium 0.023 0.011- 0.12

Zirconium 0.037 0.020- 0.44

[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2007]
  2. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

swedeboy -

hi there. when were you vaccinated.. recently or as a kid? i am a firm believer that these vaccines cause numerous problems years later if not immediatley. if i have children i will not vaccinate them - shocks a lot of people i know, but i have a fantastic group of doctors who think the same way i do regarding vaccines so i am lucky.

do you read any of russell blaylocks M.D. publishings? he is a neurosurgeon and really has exposed big pharma and vaccines as well as the MSG industry. check him out - he's got some amazing advice.

peace-
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I love Dr. Blaylock. He's done more to help me than anyone. I've never met him or talked to him. I just read his stuff. It didn't cost me anything. The doctors in the last two years cost me about 20 thousand and didn't do a thing for me.
  4. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

hi there. my blaylock comrade!

he is a SUPERSTAR. my stepfather who is a vet has brought a lot of blaylocks philosophies in to his vet practice. my family as well myself are MSG free all the way. i do not take anything in a gelatin cap (which every vitamin practically comes in). my friends tease me b/c i look like a drug dealer... i am always heating a needle to puncture this capsul so i can put it in that vege capsul.. i mean my god! but i do the same thing for my dogs(i make their food as well from scratch everyday) and they have no health problems. so i know the efforts i go thru are not in my imagination b/c i had a labrador and he lived 'til he was 17. so blaylock has taught me a ton about preservatives, cancer, vaccines, etc.. i trust him which is a rare thing ot say anymore when you are putting your health in someone's hands (i have never met him either).

so yes - blaylock is key. everyone could benefit from reading anything he writes.
  5. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

yes! i would be happy too. it is so important what we feed them b/c disease spreads fast in their bodies.

labs are awesome. after i had my lab for 17 years (he went to college with me) i couldn't get another lab, i loved him so much and he had the best personality - was a 100% punk. i have 2 german shepherds now.

i would be happy to talk about for you what i feed my dogs (one of the biggest things i can tell you that i do that does not regard food but i believe is HUGE - they only drink purified reverse osmosis water - as well as myself ofcourse! and that's what i use for all my cooking and their cooking as well. they get NO heavy metals or tap water ever.. flouride is absolutley horrid)

how do i get to the chit chat board?
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

My dog eats about a pound of carrots a week. I also make him homemade beef jerky. I found out that MSG can kill dogs quick. In my opinion Dr. Blaylock deserves the Noble Prize for medicine. He is my superhero!!!!!!!!!
  7. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

hi there. yes MSG kills - and it is in everything! i would like to start a thread about that.

the info is on te chat board... i posted it on this board in error and then deleted it when i realized what i did. i thought i was in the chat board but was still in this one - sorry guys!

8. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

you posted about something peptide right?

have you guys heard of cytolog - it is an immune booster that has peptides.. i can't remember the exact term for the peptides. we need to start a thread on this - they havee done studies on CFS/FM and had success. allergy researh sells it but the guy who invented it is who you want to buy it from and i have to find his name... he is in Ohio.
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I have MCS. I believe my main culprit is formaldehyde. I've pretty much got my CFS under control>diet, supplements, detox. I believe the MCS is a neurotransmitter disorder. The thing about the neuropeptide shots it they seem to be helping people with Parkinsons, RA,MS. I believe I have been short circuited in my brain from formaldehyde.
  10. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

hey.

we really need to find this cytolog info for sure then. it is a spray that you spray in your mouth 2x a day... people who have AIDS use it...so it must be important if you have a virus. i am going to find the info and post here to see what you think.... stay tuned.
  11. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

pocahontas606

"hi there. when were you vaccinated.. recently or as a kid"

I was vaccinated as a kid. I am 31 years old now.
  12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I don't know how accurate hair analyses are.

The only one I had done was early in my illness, by a doctor I used just for a little while.

It showed modestly elevated mercury. That level was consistent with a urine challenge test that I did soon after. (The challenge test was a chelation in itself--DMPS? something along those lines. I had a couple more oral chelations done, and after that mercury seemed to go to normal.)

I'm under the impression that copper/zinc imbalances are bad, even if the results themselves are within range. I don't know anything further about the subject or whether hair analyses are meaningful with regard to this topic.

Is silver a potentially toxic element? I'd never heard that before. The only negative effect I've ever heard of is that _huge_ amounts of it (you have to go to a whole lot of trouble to ingest the wrong kind) can make your skin turn grey. And even that's not supposed to be toxic per se--just weird looking. Very strange that they'd list it as toxic, therefore.

Have you always lived in California? Some of the SW states (especially NM) have a lot of arsenic in the water.

My aunt is from Albuquerque, and she's obsessive about drinking bottled water. She's correct in that the Brita pitcher does not get rid of arsenic and that she shouldn't use it at home. However, my comments that our water in Chicago is arsenic-free and that the Brita filtered water from our tap is (as a professor of chemistry at Northwestern who specializes in analyzing water told me personally) safer than almost all bottled water fell totally on deaf ears. If the government in NM has scared people to death about arsenic, it must really be a problem.

Anyway, if you didn't get arsenic from water, I don't know where it would be from. That makes me suspicious that it's really a big problem for you, unless you've lived in places where the water might be contaminated with it.

Best, Lisa
  13. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Now that you have your hair analysis, what will be your next step?
    Keep us posted.
    Mini
  14. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Lisa:
    "I'm under the impression that copper/zinc imbalances are bad, even if the results themselves are within range."

hmm..I don't know much about this. Although I did use an anti-dandriff shampoo a few times before I did the hair test and I heard that anti-dandriff shampoos can have a lot of zinc in them, making the zinc test falsely high.

And my copper levels are borderline low, but again I don't know what that means really.

I am going to post all of these results on the Yahoo Heavy Metal Group and see what they have too say.

I never lived in the south west, however, I have spent many vacations there and I am sure I've drank the tap water somewhere along the way.

Fortunately my arsenic levels don't appear to be too high, but I don't really know what too high is. I have heard that DMPS and DMSA chelate arsenic. I think if I will chelate then I will start out using a very low dose of oral DMSA following cutlers "rounds" method. But I still need do more research on arsenic levels first.

But as of now I think I am going stick with Montoya and see how it works out.

Mini4Me:
    My next step is to post these results on the Yahoo Heavy Metal Group and see what thay have to say, plus research arsenic a lot more.

Thanks, Swedeboy

15. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

on the hair analysis. Some of yours are skewed.

DMSA will chelate the mercury, lead and arsenic. Just use the 12.5mg dose and pay attention to those kidneys. Dr. Cutler says it doesn't detox through the liver so you don't have to worry about it so much.

Don't add the ALA until you have no bad symptoms with the DMSA.
  16. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Cool! Thanks!
  17. kjfms

kjfms Member

I took a look at the lab's web site and it looks like a pretty good lab.

They did use an ICP-MS, which I always want to try. I used to be an environmental lab tech several years ago and I did trace metal analyses on an AA-MS and a GF.

I hope you will discuss these results with your physician so that he/she can explain them to you. They really should not be used on their own but in conjunction with other tests and symptoms -- just a thought :)

Here is a little information from the lab you used that I found interesting and helpful and you may too:

Hair Toxic Element Exposure Profile

Measurement of toxic and essential elements

Inexpensive, noninvasive

Analysis by ICP-MS

Result specific commentary provided

Requires only 0.25 g hair

Extensive research established that scalp hair element levels are related to human systemic levels.

The strength of this relationship varies for specific elements, and many researchers consider hair as the tissue of choice for toxic and several nutrient elements.

Unlike blood, hair element levels are not regulated by homeostatic mechanisms. Thus, deviations in hair element levels often appear prior to overt symptoms and can thereby be a valuable preliminary tool for predicting the development of physiological abnormalities.

Why hair?

With respect to its contained elements, hair is essentially an excretory tissue rather than a functional tissue.

Hair element analysis provides important information which, in conjunction with symptoms and other laboratory values, can assist the physician with an early diagnosis of physiological disorders associated with aberrations in essential and toxic element metabolism.

As protein is synthesized in the hair follicle, elements are incorporated permanently into the hair with no further exchange or equilibration with other tissues.

Scalp hair is easy to sample, and because it grows an average of one to two cm per month, it contains a “temporal record” of element metabolism and exposure to toxic elements.

Nutrient elements including magnesium, chromium, zinc, copper and selenium are obligatory co-factors for hundreds of important enzymes and also are essential for the normal functions of vitamins.

The levels of these elements in hair are correlated with levels in organs and other tissues.

Toxic elements may be 200-300 times more highly concentrated in hair than in blood or urine.

Therefore, hair is the tissue of choice for detection of recent exposure to elements such as arsenic, aluminum, cadmium, lead, antimony, and mercury.

The CDC acknowledges the value of hair mercury levels as a maternal and infant marker for exposure to neurotoxic methyl-mercury from fish.

Through recent vast improvements in technology, instrumentation, and application of scientific protocols, hair element analysis has become a valuable tool in providing dependable and useful data for physicians and their patients.

The U.S. Environmental Protection agency stated in a recent report that “...if hair samples are properly collected and cleaned, and analyzed by the best analytic methods, using standards and blanks as required, in a clean and reliable laboratory by experienced personnel, the data are reliable.” (U.S.E.P.A. 600/4-79-049)

Hair, however, is vulnerable to external elemental contamination by means of certain shampoos, bleaches, dyes, and curing or straightening treatments.

Therefore, the first step in the interpretation of a hair element report is to rule out sources of external contamination.

Hair element analysis is a valuable and inexpensive screen for physiological excess, deficiency or maldistribution of elements.

It should not be considered a stand-alone diagnostic test for essential element function, and should be used in conjunction with patient symptoms and other laboratory tests.

Best wishes,

Karen :)

18. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Good Work, Thanks!
  19. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

You managanese is quite low and you're low on iodine. Two very imporant minerals. Taking managanese will deplete your copper levels and since you're already borderline with copper, I would start working on your copper first. I've found that raising copper levels can improve managanese levels over time so it's better to work with the copper in the beginning and see where it goes. Copper is the body's natural defense against candida and is involved in many other vital chemical reactions. If you feel the urge to take manganese try to be moderate. I would take no more than 1 or 2mg a day but not at the same time as the copper. And make sure you take the copper 2mg with food 2 or 3 times a day.

Iodine, it's a good idea to get some extra. Very important for proper thyroid function and you're very low.

Your Na/K ration (45/20) is a bit low at 2.25. This is an indication of moderate adrenal burnout. This ratio should be up between 2.5 and 4. This is the vitality ratio and is considered the most important mineral ratio. You need some adrenal support. Raising your copper status will help in this regard as well as taking a good Vitamin E, Multi B 50, with extra B5 (500mg). Also, drinking a glass of salt water every morning helps with this (It's not as bad as you think. I do this every morning and it really helps...1/2 teaspoon in a glass of water. Since you're low on iodine I would use iodized salt). And I would stay away from any multi vitamin and mineral. It's only going to further unbalance your minerals. Also, taking a precursor hormone like Pregnenalone can support what your adrenals can't make. I used to take it as well as DHEA and testosterone. But now that my adrenals are working again I just use the vitamins and salt water and take an herb blend for support.

Your Ca/Mg ratio is unbalanced with not enough Mg (your ratio is 7.1 (219/31) you should be a bit lower around 5. Getting a little extra magnesium can help - 400mg daily but don't take any extra Calcium.

Your toxic mineral levels look fine...I wouldn't worry about the little bit of mercury. You might want to take some N-acetyl cysteine to help with the chelation but not much here to worry about. But stay away from chelation agents like EDTA. They will reduce your copper levels even more. And stay away from too much vitamin C...it will also reduce your copper status.

Good luck.

20. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Thanks for the great feedback!