Hair Analysis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jul 29, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Anyone had a hair analysis done or know anything about them, if its worth the time and money?
    My doc suggested this to me..

2. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

They were very helpful. I was low in EVERYTHING and you can track your progress as you supplement. You need to have a doctor interpret them, though, because there are ratios and balances between different minerals and vitamins, and sometimes you'll show high in something but it's because your body is not assimilating it properly, etc.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have an appointment Mon. its out of town, so hope I feel up to making the trip..

Would the hair analysis show any infection ? There are times I feel like I have been poisoned or have infection, well with cfs guess its both..Also the darn sinus issue...

God bless,
  4. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

A doctor may be able to determine a chronic infection by what he sees in the test.

Here's what they test for though they don't always pick up heavy metals because if they're stored, esp. in the bones, they won't always come out in the hair:

Nutrient mineral/electrolyte levels in the body's tissues are measured including Calcium; Chromium; Magnesium; Selenium; Sodium; Phosphorus; Potassium; Nickel; Iron; Cobalt; Copper; Molybdenum; Manganese; Lithium; Zinc; Boron

Toxic metal levels to determine the heavy metal load in the body including Lead; Mercury; Cadmium; Arsenic; Aluminum

Significant mineral ratios that help determine carbohydrate metabolism, thyroid function, level of inflammation, adrenal reserves, copper toxicity, tissue breakdown, and calcium shell
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My physician referred me to a dietitian for a hair mineral analysis about 3 months ago. I am overdue to send a hair sample for a retest as I write.

The particular issues that I was concerned about turned out to be fine, but other deficiencies showed up. I am hopeful that correcting these deficiencies will improve my health.

My dietitian has the testing done by Trace Elements, Inc. I was pleased with their report. They test for 15 nutritional elements, 8 toxic elements, and 14 additional elements on which studies are still being done. They also calculate several ratios and assign a metabolic type.

It does not take much time to have the hair sample taken, so most of the time will be in the drive. I also have to go out of town. After the first time, my dietitian is letting me have my Mother take the sample and I will mail it to her. (She said not to try to do it myself.)

I just tried to find the things I was sent for my retest and failed (which is a bit disconcerting). It would have told me the cost. If I recall correctly, it was between $100 and $150 for the testing and the consultation to discuss the results. I think it is worth it.

One thing the results do is assign you to a metabolic type. I am a slow metabolizer, type 1. It says that one of the factors that may contribute to this metabolic type is viral infections. “A past occurrence of a severe or chronic viral infection can contribute to a decrease in the metabolic rate, due to the body‘s neuro-immunological response to infection.” This sounds rather like ME/CFS.

The lab has a website ( that has some FAQs and a newsletter archive. The newsletters include “Fibromyalgia - A Metabolic Profile” from 2004.

I hope you are feeling well enough to make the trip on Monday. It could be interesting and useful.
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you for your input. I will give you an update on how it goes and what they find, not sure how long it will take for the results..

God Bless,
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Were you able to make it to the appointment to have your hair sample taken?
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Well, I made the appointment on Monday.. was very impressed with this lady.. She spent over an hour with me taking the time to ask a lot of questions about my health etc.. It will be 3 weeks before she has the results, at that time I will go back to see her .. Will keep you posted..

God Bless,