Hair Appearing on Face, Chin, Neck, Back, Shoulders, Arms, Chest

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Sep 4, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

There is a current post regarding hair growing on chins.

When I read this article in my local paper's doctor column (Ask Dr. Gott), I thought about this post.

This column had a similar question:

Question: A 37-year old female wrote in stating that for the past several years, she has had steadily increasing amounts of hair appear on her face, chin, neck, back, shoulders, arms, and chest. She said she now shaves her chin and neck twice daily. She asked if a doctor could help her with this problem, or was she faced with no remedy other than shaving, waxing, and plucking?

Answer: Although most cases of unwanted excess body hair in women are - unfortunately - genetically dictated, some instances may be caused by a virilizing tumor. Such a growth, which produces excessive quantities of the male hormone testosterone, may arise in the adrenal glands, the ovaries, or elsewhere in the reproductive tract.

Also, enlargement of the adrenal glands, so-called "congential adrenal hyperplasia," can cause inappropriate hair growth in a typically male pattern. Finally, polycystic ovaries (Stein-Leventhal Syndrome can cause virilization.

Dr. Gott said that she should be examined by her family physician (or an endocrinologist) and undergo blood and urine testing, as well as a CT scan and ultrasound. He also stated that, as a general rule, the disorders he mentioned could be cured by surgery.
  2. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I'd just like to add that steroids can cause unwanted hair growth also.

I had 6 weeklong steroid treatments in a year and have since grown icky black hairs in a few places since. Thank God for tweezers.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

4. JimB

JimB New Member

I remember seeing a former beauty queen (an Eastern state I think), who had terrible things happening to her.
    SHE EVEN STARTED GROWING A BEARD. She had Lupus.

She was devestated and, even while holding on to faith in
    in Christ (according to the promises in the scriptures)...
    at times she contemplated suicide.

Well, her total healing did finally come after about a year...
    I saw her on the 700 club, with her husband who was a Doctor.

So anyway... I think LUPUS is an autoimmune disease,and growing facial hair can be a symptom.