Hair color=pain?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fishfoto, Jul 4, 2003.

1. fishfoto

fishfoto New Member

Has anybody had pain problems they relate to hair color??? My hair person has used Wella on me for about 4 years. My homeopath is trying to figure out my pain triggers and recently noticed my pain flares seem pop 7 to 10 days after color. Of course he is opposed to anything not natural. I am searching for success stories using natural products. I have found a salon using Aveda products. Anybody tried it?? OR anyone pinned pain to hair color?????
  2. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

and don't see any correlation of the two. I started coloring after I started with the initial symptom of daily headaches. dolsgirl
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Doesn't sound plausible to me unless you are reacting to the ingredients.

I cannot color my hair due to severe allergies.
  4. franners

franners New Member

Never have problems with that...
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

I just started having my hair colored a little over a year ago. Now that I'm no longer getting highlights I am doing it myself and so far, still no problems.

Barbara
  6. FMHoosier

FMHoosier New Member

I have been a licensed cosmetologist for 33yrs. and dx'd w/FM for 1yr. (but probably have had for 10yrs) & have been coloring my own hair for the past 15+yrs. The only time I had a problem, I was using a high-lift tint w/a 40 volume developer. I not only developed a severe headache, but my scalp burned so much that I laid on the floor in front of a fan!!! DUH--didn't think of rinsing it off!!!

I have had 1 customer in 33yrs. that developed an allergy to permanent color (was using Clairol @ the time)--and she literally developed the allergy w/in a month's time frame. We switched to a semi-permanent color (Loving Care) & she got along fine. Any allergist will tell you that you can develop allergies overnight and they can change overnight.

I have probably used 3 or 4 different brands over the years & this was the only person to have an allergic reaction. The developer (some form & strength of hydrogen peroxide) is usually the culprit. Switch to the all-natural, or check out brands that do not need a developer.

I wish you luck. I myself would HATE to go grey!! :)0
    Nancy
  7. Jen F

Jen F New Member

from coloring her hair.

For the longest time she thought it was related to her menstruation, until she stopped coloring her hair!

Headaches went away.
  8. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

Is a long time to be getting a reaction to hair dye. It's going to do it's thing right away if it's going to, I would think. The peroxide in Summer Blonde used to fry my scalp.
    It left scabs and everything.
    Now I can only use the temporary hair color.
  9. Belladonna3

Belladonna3 Guest

but I have many chemical sensitivities. My symptoms are usually headaches, dizziness, dry throat, asthmatic attack, those kinds of responses.

A flare or pain has not happened other than what I described above.

Belladonna3