hair falling out

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrmadd, Jun 2, 2003.

1. mrmadd

mrmadd New Member

Has anyone experienced anything with hairloss. Iam not nessisarily lossing my hair, but when I run my hands through it pull out a few strands. This didnt use to happen and Iam only 21. Any thoughts
  2. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Perhaps you should have your thyroid checked?
    LL
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Everyone loses hair daily, thats normal.
    But if its large amounts then by all means have your thyroid checked soon.

Shalom, Shirl

4. Smokeymar

Smokeymar New Member

Hi,
    I was so glad to see your post!!! Just within the last six weeks, my hair is falling out big time. I run my hands thru it and get a handful each time. After shampooing, when I try to comb it out I lose even more. Can anything account for this besides thyroid?
    I haven't had any med changes for quite a while. So I didn't think that was doing it.
    It's getting so thin that other people notice it now. HELP!!
    Smokeymar
  5. scottabir

scottabir New Member

For the last couple of months my hair has started falling out as well. It is getting worse every week. I just had blood drawn to check my thyroid I should know the results this week!

Abi
  6. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

First off, it is normal for normal people *whatever
    that means* to lose either 100 or 200 strands of
    hair daily.

I have polycystic ovarian disease and that is one
    cause for hair loss, mostly male pattern baldness.
    I, don't have that problem thank god. Although, my
    hair is thinning in the front.

I am not sure if I heard that iron deficiency can cause
    this as well. NOt sure.

Anyway, the test for PCOS is a fasting insulin test
    Further tests based on those. There is lots of
    info online and probably here too if you do a search.
    Most of the PCOS symptoms are the same as FMS
    symptoms.

Lynn
  7. fungran

fungran New Member

oh, yes i have had that problem now for about 5 years or more. My doctor at the time said it was from all the surgery's I have had and the estrogien(I am not a good speller sorry) I am on.

But, it is also from coloring your hair alot and perms I am told. Mine is at the crown of my head amd towards the back I am very self conisous of it.

I have found though if I go and get a good perm it doesn't show hardly at all.

Hope you find the reason soon Good Luck!!
    Huggs
    fungran
  8. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I thought I read somewhere that magnesium could help. I'm going to ask my doc tomorrow.

Lisa
  9. Mumu

Mumu New Member

If it's low thyroid, another sign is that you lose the hair on the outer half of your eyebrows.
  10. LJ

LJ New Member

I have noticed that my hair falls out more with some shampoos. Pantene seems to work the best for me.

LJ
  11. jean615

jean615 New Member

Doctor said if the hair is breaking off, it is usually a medication related. you can tell best right in front, like forhead. not sure if he knows what he is talking about or not. he did change meds and it stopped. I thought it was falling out, but was actually breaking.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2003]
  12. tinker-belle

tinker-belle New Member

I just saw a nutritionist for the first time last week and she said an insufficient amount of protein in your diet can cause your hair to fall out.
  13. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

My hair is coming out at an unbelievable rate. When I lift my head off the pillow there's a pile of it. I had CFS/FM 10 years and recovered fully and then became stricken again 2 years ago. I think the hair falling out has something to do with the disease. I lost so much hair the first time I had CFS/FM that I had a bald spots and most of my eyelashes fell out.

My thyroid results have been normal, but, convinced my physician that I still thought I may have hypothyroid and was given Cytomel. This medicine made me so jumpy and jittery, that I had to discontinue.

I too am interested in how many PWC/PWF are experiencing hair loss. Best of luck to all. Tulip
  14. marta

marta New Member

Sorry, I just saw this. I'm curious if any of you who are experiencing hair loss is taking Klonopin since that's when it began with me. I stopped the Klonopin but hair hasn't returned. I'd say I lost about 1/2 of what I had. Ugh.

Marta
  15. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

MM - Hair loss is a symptom of CFIDS.

Marta - It will grow back.
    I take Klonopin and for the first 3 months or so there was so much it made mats in the shower drain. It is growing back, but it is mostly silver.

Wishing us all well,

Lane

16. kimbali

kimbali New Member

Many already touched on here. But it's also one of the signs of an autoimmune disease. I'm new enough to fibromyalgia to notw know if it is a symptom, but it can also be a symptom of something like lupus (not trying to scare anyone, just one of many possibilities). I used to have hair so thick that when it was long, I could barely use a barrette to hold it back (most didn't work, I tossed out alot of them), lol I've lost enough over the past couple of years that I cut it short - the barrettes became too loose, my hair is too thin so they fall out.

Anyway, if your hair is coming out more than it used to, I would probably mention it at your next docs visit so that they can factor that in with the other symptoms.
  17. kadeedidit

kadeedidit New Member

I suffer from hairloss and i'm clueless. It started about 3 years ago. I started noticeing when I picked my hair out after washing it that that the pick was full of hair and in a couple of months I lost half of my hair. Then it quit for a while and then started coming out again but not as bad. They say you lose a couple hundred hairs a day. I probably lose twice that a day. I use to think it was caused by my meds but i'm pretty sure its caused by my FM and Lupus. It use to worry me a lot but I've found there's more important things in life than hair. When its gone i'll go buy some that I take off at night and throw in a corner.....lol.....You have to laugh about all this sometimes or you lose your ability to cope.......KADEE
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2003]
  18. mstg

mstg New Member

I truley believe it is from fm i was sent to a dermatologist and we did all the test. also my md did all the test but could find nothing wrong. it comes out by the roots. i also use to have very thick hair. i tried using rogaine but it seemed to get worst. just something else we fm suffers have to go through...God Bless
  19. Dara

Dara New Member

in my life. But, first thing the doctor did was check for thyroid problems, the tests came back within the normal range. At the time mine started falling out my daughter had just been diagnosed with Acute Leukemia, so yes I was under an enormous amount of stress. She jokingly accused me of sniffing her chemo. But, as she got better and after nine months of treatment reached remission, my hair stopped falling out and I now have my normal thick head of hair. Stress can do some amazing things to us.

Dara

20. judywhit

judywhit New Member

for side effects. this really could be a side effect from a med. rxlist with the com on the net is very helpful for understanding your meds dosage and side effects.
    bummer for the hair loss. not a goood thing.
    judy