Hair is turning White

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chootik, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Hi Guys.

I just wanted to post and aske if anyone here is experiencing their hair going White much more than before?

I'm only 33 and started noticing about 6 months ago that my hair is rapidly going white! I could understand if I was 43 but at 33 it just seems too early!

Also before that, I barely had any White hair, so I'm thinking it must be because of CFS.

I did some research and it seems it could be lack of hormones that produce hair color. I also supplemented with B12 but nothing, no difference.

Does anyone have this problem or noticed excessive White Hair?

Thanks guys for your help.
    Hugs.
    Chootik
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I kins of think it is genetic when we turn gray. I started when I was in my 20's. Now at 55, if I let it grow out, I would look age 80!! My face is not wrinkled, so I have that going for me.

I have dealt with it by having my hair highlighted for years. Then the gray just blends in, even at the roots it does not show so fast.

One hairdresser put dark brown on my hair months ago, when it grew out it looked like I had a blaze of white on my head. So funny...

3. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I got my first steak of white hair when I was about 16. I didn't mind it so much back then, my natural hair color is almost black and the white streak came in right in the front of my hair, looked pretty neat.

I started coloring my hair when I was in my late 30's when it was about 50/50 until my late 40's.

I'm 57 now and my hair is about 90% white. I've let it go au naturel b/c I've been housebound since I was 50 and it became nearly impossible to keep up with the coloring and cutting, so I have long, straight, white hair.

I think my hair turning white is more of a genetic issue than anything else, my Dad's sister did the same thing.

Truthfully, I like my hair. I find long straight hair much easier to care for; pretty much maintenance free.

mar
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

I honestly think that it is a hereditary thing.
    I've only found one grey (I think,) & I'm 27. My best friend is 26 & has heaps. My future sister in law is 28 & has quite a few, & so does other future sister in law who is 26 ;)
    It's deffinately more noticable in darker hair ;)
  5. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I just saw your posting. I too started going gey early, around 30 years old. I'm now 43. My problem had a lot to do with copper levels. Men tend to be low on copper, and without copper we can't produce pigment in our hair. Since balancing my copper levels my hair is no longer entirely white, but has returned to a salt and pepper look. It didn't completely take away my grey but it had something to do with it...
  6. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

According to Dr. Teitelbaum, you are low on DHEA. If your doctor says it is okay to take it and you don't have breast cancer, Dr. T says your hair color will turn darker again on DHEA.
    CherylSue
  7. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I have always heard this is genetic. I am 54 and barely have any white. My Mother who is 84 still has brown hair and no on believes she doesn't color it.

My sister however, whos skin coloring and hair coloring takes more after my Dads side of the family, has gone white. She is 45 and has been coloring her hair since her early thirties.
  8. CTuit

CTuit New Member

Some meds will also cause premature whitening but I can't remember now which ones.
  9. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

My father had jet black hair at age 28. He was shot in WW2 and turned white "overnite". I was not there, so I cannot verafy. He was told by doctors that it was due to stress.
    Good luck in your search to find a reason. Mary
  10. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

Going grey at 33.. I think you're lucky. :) I'm 36 and am about 75% white (under all the dye.) I started in high school, and my mom started in her early 20's. She's not sick, and I didn't show symptoms until my late 20's. I think it's like bad eyesite.. just genetics and the "luck" of the draw.

It's when my hair started falling out (about 2yrs ago)that I was really worried. A good vitamin regimin thankfully helped with that.