Hair Loss....depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mymichelina, Oct 22, 2006.

1. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I am losing my hair at 45. I used to have thick thick hair that I could not clip it all. Now my hairclips hold all my hair and some slide down and off. On the outside it is not too obvious....but if I pull up sections there are hairless areas maybe dime size. And if I clip my hair back you can see my scalp through my hair. My sister who is 46 lost all of her hair to Alopecia 4-5 years ago. I guess I am on my way slowly but surely. She does not suffer from Fibro or CFS. She just has no hair. I am finding this rather hard to deal with since my hair has always been long, (down to my butt and I am 5'11)so it is a large part of my identity. How much more of ME is this disease going to take? I am just a shell of my former self who spends at least 20 hours a day in bed. Is it only me????
  2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

You are an angel, you helped me more than you know. Peace and love.
  3. scarflady

scarflady New Member

Hello Mymichelina,

Have you googled Alopecia. There is a site that is called National Alopecia Areata Foundation. There is a lot of information on the site that may help you. I belong to the organization and they are very active in trying to find a solution to the problem of hair loss and they offer support help.

Wishing you the best.

Scarflady
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

I just want to how sorry I am and I so hope you find some answers.

My LIL (Live In Love) suffered with alopecia several ago his was stress related and I do remember he had a very hard time of it as well.

I am sorry I haven't any good advice for you but just a show of support :)

Thinking of you,

Karen :)
  5. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

for all the responses I received! I have benn on the Alopecia site , but not since my sister started having problems. I recently had 15 tubes of blood taken from my Rhuemy to test for lupus since I was ANA positive, but further testing was negative. My sister is negative for Lupus as well. I know on top of all the pain and fatigue this seems small, but sometimes I do bring myself to look in the mirror and see a sad, worn out, old person. I am lucky that my husband still says I am beautiful....but really ......right now I have about a months worth of hair on my legs. I just have no energy to take a shower much less shave. I am sorry to be such a downer but I used to be an attractive mother, working at a job I loved, (manager of a Color Me Mine ceramics studio) and bringing up 3 wonderful kids. Now I sometimes need someone to even pull up my underwear after I pee. It is very degrading to have this disease. Love and hope to all of you.
  6. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

Stormy,

Thanks for that note...

Suz

7. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

You guys are so sweet...I am going to look into the shampoos and treatments you suggested. Thank you all so much for the support! I will say this....if I do end up bald.....I am going to have a tattoo of a butterfly on it...just a small one...I just hope I have a nice skull shape!!!!! love and hugs
  8. wacquiebob

wacquiebob New Member

I have had CFS for the past 8 years and have been losing my hair noticibly for the last 6 years. I also had very long, thick, curly hair which is now patchy bald without any curl. I have been to many dermatologist and actually had several scalp biopsys which showed scarring alopecia. I personally think that CFS is kind of like lupus where the body attacks itself. I think my body thinks my hair is a foreign substance and is attacking it and causing it to fall out. I haven't run into any doctor who is willing to look into this or offer any help for it, but if you have insurance you might want to get a scalp biopsy. Something on the biopsy might show something treatable. If not, it might be nice for future patients that Doctors know that CFS can cause scarring alopecia.