Hair Loss Info?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Churchgirl, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Churchgirl

Churchgirl New Member

Hello all,
    I'm new to this board, but am finding wonderful and helpful info. Thanks to all of you for sharing. I'm wondering what kind of info any of you might have on hair loss. This has been one of the most devestating symptoms of FMS for me...and I'm not even actually sure it's an FMS issue, but everything else seems to be:) Would love to hear any and all suggestions.

Blessings,
    -Pat
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hair loss isn't necessarily from the FM. Hair loss can be a symptom of thyroid problems and it can also be a symptom of menopause.

Other things can cause hair loss as well. Stress, Alopecia.....always ask your doctor when you have new symptoms and don't always think that they're automatically due to having FM.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. millennia

millennia New Member

I had this problem not that long ago and someone on the boards had mentioned that their hair stopped falling out after they started drinking Apple cider vinegar (you have to get the good stuff with the "mother"). I started drinking a spoonful or so a day, mixed with a little water and after about three days my hair stopped falling out. I'm pretty sure it's growing back too. I thankfully didn't have any bald spots yet, so I can't see it growing, but I can feel little hairs coming in all over my head. It feels weird, not like normal.

Another suggestion, if it is stress causing your hair to fall out, from what I read that it because stress depletes the body of vitamin B and vitamin B deficiency causes hair loss. I can't remember which B specifically, but a good B complex might help you a lot.
  4. sascha

sascha Member

Shou Wu Pill that Dr. Christine Northrup recommends to help hair regrow. i've bought some for myself; don't know yet how effective it is, but Dr. Northrup should be a reputable source- she's written some books on women's health. Sascha
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

About a month ago a kid was calling me a litany of names, leaving nothing to the imagination, MF, B, W, F, F,F, etc. but he stuck in "bald headed" now that one hurt! Even more than "penguin" which has been passed around and doesn't bother me anymore. (I CAN lose weight). So, I am going to call the endocrinologist I used to go to.
    By the way, the kid was a doll for the next week, did all his work, made great grades, let me help him and hugged me when he left.
  6. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I've watched a couple of women friends go through periods of great stress where they lost considerable hair. When they got their lives back under control the hair grew back.
  7. Churchgirl

Churchgirl New Member

Thanks so much to all of you who have replied with information.

-I'll check out the Shou Wu Pill; I've never heard of it.
    -Apple Cider Vinegar...I tried this for about a week, but Oh My Goodness!!!!...I don't know if I can take the taste on a permanent basis:) I know they make ACV tablets. Do you think they would work as well?
    -Flax Seed...I take a multi-oil gel tab that has flax seed oil in it along with other essential fatty acids. Do you think this will work as well, or do I have to take the crushed seed to see the benefit?
    -My thyroid has checked out ok. Menapause is a possibility. Alopecia...Can anything be done for it? STRESS...most definately:)

Thanks to all who contributed their info,
    -Pat
  8. Churchgirl

Churchgirl New Member

I can only imagine how the "bald headed" remark must have hurt. I would have felt crushed if it had been said to me...even from a troubled kid. I have to remind myself that my illness, nor its symptoms, define ME. So far I've been able to fix and arrange my hair so that it's not too noticeable, but I stress over the possibility of it becoming really noticeable one day. I have an appointment with a Dermatologist next month. We'll see.

Thanks for your input,
    -Pat
  9. millennia

millennia New Member

I mix the ground flax into oatmeal, it has a nice nutty taste. You can buy it preground, my cardiologist says it's fine, just keep it in the fridge in a opaque bag and don't keep it for more than a few months.
  10. Churchgirl

Churchgirl New Member

So where do you purchase Flax Seed?
  11. Catseye

Catseye Member

Also make sure you get enough minerals, especially magnesium. People who drink distilled water can suffer hair loss because since the water doesn't have any minerals at all, it tends to leach minerals from the body. Eat lots of vegetables or get a mineral supplement. karen
  12. millennia

millennia New Member

I get it at a health food store. I know a lot of people get it at Trader Joe's (we don't really have those around here).
  13. Churchgirl

Churchgirl New Member

Thanks all!
  14. jake123

jake123 New Member

I am taking Appearex which is available over the net. My dermatologist suggested this when I complained of hair loss. I know one thing - it speeds growth and it speeds growth of nails. My white hair is showing about an inch from the last time I had my hair colored four weeks ago.
  15. Churchgirl

Churchgirl New Member

Can you tell if the Appearex has caused any new hair to grow? I'll ask the dermatologist about it when I see him next month.